Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2021MY buying experience and first thoughts

Hi all.
5 days in and loving it, despite limited millage!
Just thought I'd share my brief experience of buying a new mp 300d amg.
Ordered in Aug 2020. Delivered April 2021 (could have had early March but needed to offload a car beforehand) purchased via drive the deal, so I missed out on "dealer experience" but I wasn't willing to pay an extra £12000 to have a chap in pointy shoes and a fake rolex pull a silk sheet off the car, followed by a cheap bunch of flowers! (I've worked in car sales, I know my way around a showroom) so driven/contactless delivery..... fine by me. Van arrived on time. Driver was nice but obviously didn't know anything about MP. (Didn't even know it was a camper!) So quick check over and 1 signature later it's mine. No idea on how anything works. Thank Christ for Google......
I couldn't find the detachable towbar. Rang Mercedes, "its electric, just find the button"
"errr no its not"
"It might have been taken out by mistake"
Anyway, 3 days later, I find the towbar. Not underneath but the right hand side of the boot where I thought was the jack.
Anyway..... paintwork was better than my previous bmw purchase, I'd prepared myself for a fight but was actually pretty good. Only niggle was QC stickers left on behind numberplate and protective wrapping still in panel gaps.
MBUX is great, however things like remote locking, heater control, etc isn't controllable via app. Unlike prev bmw/audi, and traffic sign recognition, weather is a subscription extra.... standard in my bmw/audi.
Driving....... its great. However, please remember it is a Van. Not a Luxury SUV. Definitely not a sports car! If you've never driven a van, I'd advise renting a transit for 24 hours, step into the mp and it will seem like a Rolls Royce, but if you've been used to driving a performance/Luxury car or even a hot hatch, it's going to take some getting used to.
I've driven a vw transporter (not cali) I'd 100% say the mp is far superior in driving quality. But please don't expect anything "sporty" even in v300 amg trim.
I think long distance motorway it will be a dream.
I ordered the "high end sound system" completely blind as there is zero info in the brochure/dealer..... I can confirm its a jenhert system. Basically extra tweeters in dash and sub in side next to sliding door. Overall sounds good, but again its half the speakers I'm used to and double the amount of interior space. The sub is also rattling so it will be a warranty job.
I hope this isn't coming across negative, I can assure you that as a family we've already fallen in love with it and can't wait to get travelling!
But to sum up, it's a bloody great vehicle. Pretty good daily driver/family car. But the dealer knowledge is terrible.... Please don't hold this against the salesperson. We expect them to know everything about every car in the range. When realistically they've never seen a MP before and probably worked at Renault 2 months ago!
When I asked about the towbar, the guy on reception said he'd not seen one for 3 years!

Factory fit awning is a Thule Omnistor.
Tyres are continental sport.
towbar is westfalia.
I also ordered 360 camera. Despite being a huge car, I'm not sure if it's any better then the sensors alone.

I'm sure I could go on but this is just a little idea of my first impressions.

Love being part of the group and hopefully bump into some
of you soon!

Steve B

Hello & welcome, a good summary. I have had company cars since the early 90's, and exited middle of last year so now our only other car is our defender. The MP feels like a supersonic silent magic carpet ride in comparison, and is excellent on motorways. I've only seen two MP's on the road, so its a rare thing. I 'm sure your family will love it even more when you get to fully use it.

Grand Tourismo

Welcome along VTG :Welcome: pleased to have you around.
Excellent review of new MP ownership, I have recently taken ownership of a pre-owned MP and your real life driving review echoes exactly my thoughts....the MP eclipses any previous van driving experience and feels much more like a large "soft" car.

Any questions, see what the forum has for you, or simply fire a question in and I am sure someone will assist.

Epigram

Welcome.
I had the exactly the same experience with a “missing” towbar.. The dealer promised to order and post a replacement.
It seemed odd that the keys were there without the towbar and, like you, I found it with the jack when exploring the vehicle. The promise of free merchandise for the trouble and expense I had saved the dealer never materialised - they don’t really care once you are out the door.
I keep the towbar permanently fitted, the cameras have poor contrast in low light and I find when backing into the garage it is easier to align the ball with a spot on the wall. The towbar is also useful for self defence!
It’s a great cuise at 90mph plus on German autobahns and the Distronic automatic following to stop is useful and relaxing in congested slow moving motorway traffic but it’s jerky for passengers and not as smooth as in other makes of vehicle.
With the exception of our local potholed single track walled lanes which set the sensors off I always find the MP a pleasure to drive and am always glad to get back in it after the courtesy vehicles that Mercedes loan me.

Enjoy you new MP, with lockdown easing you have got it at the right time

C

Crispin

VIP Member
High great report ... hopefully cover some miles soon this forum certainly answers a lot of niggles, im sure ill have some when we get going, but tow bar is a great factory job fits well!!!

The fat controller

Welcome and thanks for the report. Hope you're enjoying getting to know the vehicle.
Ours is due at the end of July - allegedly! - and I keep going between very excited and not believing its ever going to happen... Been waiting since September.
I have a quick question if you don't mind, how is the van classed on the V5c? As per the brochure I believe it should be being registered as a campervan rather than an MPV - m1 category I think, with the associated saving on RFL... I just don't have total confidence in the dealer at the moment so would like some evidence to be able to manage the process. NB I'm assuming you have MP rather than horizon for this point.
Thanks

Welcome and thanks for the report. Hope you're enjoying getting to know the vehicle.
Ours is due at the end of July - allegedly! - and I keep going between very excited and not believing its ever going to happen... Been waiting since September.
I have a quick question if you don't mind, how is the van classed on the V5c? As per the brochure I believe it should be being registered as a campervan rather than an MPV - m1 category I think, with the associated saving on RFL... I just don't have total confidence in the dealer at the moment so would like some evidence to be able to manage the process. NB I'm assuming you have MP rather than horizon for this point.
Thanks
I forgot to mention this..... so I argued with the dealer this was the case. The first year rfl was amended (as stated in brochure) so total priced dropped by over £1000 so it did drop my overall cost. However..... v5c arrived and its registered as an MPV. I assume the dealer must have paid the full amount (£1800ish instead of £270ish)
I can't get my head around what is going to be cheaper for next year? Camper or mpv. Either way you still have to pay the "higher rate tax" maybe you know?
I tried ringing the dvla but they are on strike.
Another issue is insurance

Liven

Thanks
Hi there, I've also ordered the mp 220d amg last September and due at the end of July, so far very little information from the dealer, they didn't even take my deposit~

Liven

Hi all.
5 days in and loving it, despite limited millage!
Just thought I'd share my brief experience of buying a new mp 300d amg.
Ordered in Aug 2020. Delivered April 2021 (could have had early March but needed to offload a car beforehand) purchased via drive the deal, so I missed out on "dealer experience" but I wasn't willing to pay an extra £12000 to have a chap in pointy shoes and a fake rolex pull a silk sheet off the car, followed by a cheap bunch of flowers! (I've worked in car sales, I know my way around a showroom) so driven/contactless delivery..... fine by me. Van arrived on time. Driver was nice but obviously didn't know anything about MP. (Didn't even know it was a camper!) So quick check over and 1 signature later it's mine. No idea on how anything works. Thank Christ for Google......
I couldn't find the detachable towbar. Rang Mercedes, "its electric, just find the button"
"errr no its not"
"It might have been taken out by mistake"
Anyway, 3 days later, I find the towbar. Not underneath but the right hand side of the boot where I thought was the jack.
Anyway..... paintwork was better than my previous bmw purchase, I'd prepared myself for a fight but was actually pretty good. Only niggle was QC stickers left on behind numberplate and protective wrapping still in panel gaps.
MBUX is great, however things like remote locking, heater control, etc isn't controllable via app. Unlike prev bmw/audi, and traffic sign recognition, weather is a subscription extra.... standard in my bmw/audi.
Driving....... its great. However, please remember it is a Van. Not a Luxury SUV. Definitely not a sports car! If you've never driven a van, I'd advise renting a transit for 24 hours, step into the mp and it will seem like a Rolls Royce, but if you've been used to driving a performance/Luxury car or even a hot hatch, it's going to take some getting used to.
I've driven a vw transporter (not cali) I'd 100% say the mp is far superior in driving quality. But please don't expect anything "sporty" even in v300 amg trim.
I think long distance motorway it will be a dream.
I ordered the "high end sound system" completely blind as there is zero info in the brochure/dealer..... I can confirm its a jenhert system. Basically extra tweeters in dash and sub in side next to sliding door. Overall sounds good, but again its half the speakers I'm used to and double the amount of interior space. The sub is also rattling so it will be a warranty job.
I hope this isn't coming across negative, I can assure you that as a family we've already fallen in love with it and can't wait to get travelling!
But to sum up, it's a bloody great vehicle. Pretty good daily driver/family car. But the dealer knowledge is terrible.... Please don't hold this against the salesperson. We expect them to know everything about every car in the range. When realistically they've never seen a MP before and probably worked at Renault 2 months ago!
When I asked about the towbar, the guy on reception said he'd not seen one for 3 years!

Factory fit awning is a Thule Omnistor.
Tyres are continental sport.
towbar is westfalia.
I also ordered 360 camera. Despite being a huge car, I'm not sure if it's any better then the sensors alone.

I'm sure I could go on but this is just a little idea of my first impressions.

Love being part of the group and hopefully bump into some
of you soon!
Hello, I also ordered last September from drive the deal and saved over 12000, which I still not sure it's real, do you ordered from Mercedes Wolverhampton after drive the deal finish their part? Did they take your deposit? So far they just let me wait until July to pay the full amount.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I forgot to mention this..... so I argued with the dealer this was the case. The first year rfl was amended (as stated in brochure) so total priced dropped by over £1000 so it did drop my overall cost. However..... v5c arrived and its registered as an MPV. I assume the dealer must have paid the full amount (£1800ish instead of £270ish)
I can't get my head around what is going to be cheaper for next year? Camper or mpv. Either way you still have to pay the "higher rate tax" maybe you know?
I tried ringing the dvla but they are on strike.
Another issue is insurance

There is no extra tax to pay on a vehicle with a body type motor caravan and taxation class PLG.I don't think any MP will be registered as such so the higher tax will be payable for 5yrs

IIRC I pay £280 to tax my Fiat van that cost more than £40000 when new, it's coming up to 3yrs old now

Your right about insurance being another issue. Have a look at this thread
It's important to check you are adequately covered, It's a motor caravan your insuring not a MPV!

The fat controller

Hello, I also ordered last September from drive the deal and saved over 12000, which I still not sure it's real, do you ordered from Mercedes Wolverhampton after drive the deal finish their part? Did they take your deposit? So far they just let me wait until July to pay the full amount.
Hi this is very interesting as we are having exactly the same experience! Drive the deal also paired me with MB Wolverhampton, who have had very little to say and declined my offer of a deposit more than once. This has not felt reassuring to say the least!

Yes from Wolverhampton. I paid deposit direct to them when I ordered in Aug

Liven

Hi this is very interesting as we are having exactly the same experience! Drive the deal also paired me with MB Wolverhampton, who have had very little to say and declined my offer of a deposit more than once. This has not felt reassuring to say the least!
haha, let's see what happen next, at least we have one good example who actually got the car.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I've bought from DoT and similar before and never had issues. I assume the issue is build slot allocation. Not helps by covid. Maybe you should ask if its been physically built in Spain yet? (Then goes to Germany for conversion)
Thanks for the reply, finger cross on mine~

pumpsmynads

I’m through dtd and Wolverhampton. Have paid £1000 deposit in September. End June delivery date.
The customer ‘service’ via Tony has been, let’s just say, light touch.
My order form shows tax at £1820 I think. I haven’t had the conversation yet but I will assume I’ll pay £270 (or whatever it is) at the completion time. I’m dangerously assuming Tony will contact me a couple weeks before (give reg number, confirmed collection date, etc..) so he sets the tax correctly with DVLA and I save a further £1500.

Liven

I’m through dtd and Wolverhampton. Have paid £1000 deposit in September. End June delivery date.
The customer ‘service’ via Tony has been, let’s just say, light touch.
My order form shows tax at £1820 I think. I haven’t had the conversation yet but I will assume I’ll pay £270 (or whatever it is) at the completion time. I’m dangerously assuming Tony will contact me a couple weeks before (give reg number, confirmed collection date, etc..) so he sets the tax correctly with DVLA and I save a further £1500.
I guess we are all served by Tony from Wolverhampton, I haven't contact him yet for the tax issue which is also 1820~

Liven

I'm sure it'll be fine. I've bought from DoT and similar before and never had issues. I assume the issue is build slot allocation. Not helps by covid. Maybe you should ask if its been physically built in Spain yet? (Then goes to Germany for conversion)
I've asked him last week, he said no chassis number yet, so I guess they haven't start the build yet~

The fat controller

Well this is all interesting to hear. I guess Wolverhampton were chasing sales around that time! Tony seems a nice chap, but yes, not much to say - I guess you could argue that this is to be expected as all we're doing is waiting for the build to commence.

I did raise the issue of tax when I saw it on the order but didn't get a comprehensive response (!). My plan is to be on the front foot with a couple of months to go as I belive it's a pain to change if registered incorrectly so would much rather get it right. As has been mentioned thisnis significant for insurance especially. This is why I'm curious if anyone had recently registered.

The only reason for my nervousness at this time is the lack of deposit - I've offered twice since ordering only to be told 'no need'. Just seems like a pretty major commitment from the dealer and I'm conscious that they could sell for significantly more to another purchaser once the vehicle arrives. Yes, I am paranoid by nature!

Let's just hope we're all singing his praises come the summer - critical delivery time as a month or so slippage would mean lots of missed opportunities for trips.