Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1st Impressions

• Thread starter Samebutdifferent
  • Start date
Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I collected the MP yesterday, a 2019 V250D AMG in Brilliant Silver so I thought I’d give my first impressions.

It was an early start leaving a frosty Devon before the sun had risen to do the 250ml drive in the Ducato, The return journey would be in the MP so a good chance to weigh up the differences. Some lovely views over Devon and Somerset countryside as the sun came up. A nice fairly traffic free drive saw me arriving in West Sussex just before 10:00am

Hand over took a while as it was both two way. I was given the gen on the MP and I had to explain about the equipment on the Ducatto as it had full air suspension, E&P self levelling and a few other additions.

First thing to strike me getting into the cab was how tiny and low to the ground it felt, I was used to climbing up into the Ducato. It was great to get back to an auto box. The manual one in the Ducato wasn’t bad but auto makes driving less of a chore in this type of vehicle. I missed the excellent mirrors for manoeuvring, the MP’s are poor in comparison, I’ll have to retrain myself and get used to using the camera for positioning.

So no CarPlay on a vehicle like an MP in 2019 is strange so my route, A30-A303 with spells on various motorways was on my phone. the Ducato with the air suspension is extremely comfortable on that type of road, the MP didn’t seem much different comfort wise, but why only one armrest on the captains seats! It came into it’s own off the main roads, being much more agile and pleasant to drive compared to fighting the lumbering Ducato. This was the main reason for the change, I won’t be cruising down autoroutes/autobahns. I do find the steering to be a bit sloppy, not sure but I think it tightens up a little when sport mode was selected. In the Ducato and my previous T5 I used to get into the back between the two seats, while I could do it in the MP, the protrusion of the dash and drink storage meant a little contortion to achieve the passage

So around 500mls and 9hr or so behind the wheel and although tired I wasn’t that fatigued when I got back.

I’m pretty much up to speed with the Westfalia habitation side of things, but the cab with the Command etc is a complete mystery and I’ve not had a chance to explore yet as it’s blown a gale and rained all day.

I had MiFi fitted and I have a few other mods I’d like to do. Then we need to get away and remember the routine of camping in a small van.

I used to see a big red elephant from my kitchen window, it’s been replaced with a tiny Gazelle.

I like it.

Grand Tourismo

I collected the MP yesterday, a 2019 V250D AMG in Brilliant Silver so I thought I’d give my first impressions.

It was an early start leaving a frosty Devon before the sun had risen to do the 250ml drive in the Ducato, The return journey would be in the MP so a good chance to weigh up the differences. Some lovely views over Devon and Somerset countryside as the sun came up. A nice fairly traffic free drive saw me arriving in West Sussex just before 10:00am

Hand over took a while as it was both two way. I was given the gen on the MP and I had to explain about the equipment on the Ducatto as it had full air suspension, E&P self levelling and a few other additions.

First thing to strike me getting into the cab was how tiny and low to the ground it felt, I was used to climbing up into the Ducato. It was great to get back to an auto box. The manual one in the Ducato wasn’t bad but auto makes driving less of a chore in this type of vehicle. I missed the excellent mirrors for manoeuvring, the MP’s are poor in comparison, I’ll have to retrain myself and get used to using the camera for positioning.

So no CarPlay on a vehicle like an MP in 2019 is strange so my route, A30-A303 with spells on various motorways was on my phone. the Ducato with the air suspension is extremely comfortable on that type of road, the MP didn’t seem much different comfort wise, but why only one armrest on the captains seats! It came into it’s own off the main roads, being much more agile and pleasant to drive compared to fighting the lumbering Ducato. This was the main reason for the change, I won’t be cruising down autoroutes/autobahns. I do find the steering to be a bit sloppy, not sure but I think it tightens up a little when sport mode was selected. In the Ducato and my previous T5 I used to get into the back between the two seats, while I could do it in the MP, the protrusion of the dash and drink storage meant a little contortion to achieve the passage

So around 500mls and 9hr or so behind the wheel and although tired I wasn’t that fatigued when I got back.

I’m pretty much up to speed with the Westfalia habitation side of things, but the cab with the Command etc is a complete mystery and I’ve not had a chance to explore yet as it’s blown a gale and rained all day.

I had MiFi fitted and I have a few other mods I’d like to do. Then we need to get away and remember the routine of camping in a small van.

I used to see a big red elephant from my kitchen window, it’s been replaced with a tiny Gazelle.

I like it.
Really great to hear you have finally collected your MP!! Have fun working everything out o_O

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Really great to hear you have finally collected your MP!! Have fun working everything out o_O

There's an 8 and a 10yr old down the road I go to see if I need any advice about technology, mind you they'll probably tell me it's outdated:)

Steve B

Good to see you got one, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I also miss carplay and after using the MP's sat nav whilst away over the weekend, you realise that it isn't great as mine is probably 2018 data. The two mods on my wish list are carplay & solar panel, just need to do it!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Is there a way of activating CarPlay @Steve B ? I've not been keen on any of the built in nav systems on cars I've had.

Solar is in the UK from Oct-Mar can be pretty much zero. For my needs a lithium battery would be perfect. I'm not sure if the MP has a SCR or DC-DC charger, which would be required. The charging unit would need replacing as I doubt you can change the charge profile. Lot of dosh though!!!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Seems like it's all a question of priorities then:(

Epigram

I like it.
Glad you are enjoying your MP so far even though you have found a few gripes such as the one armed seats - an airbag issue I believe. IMO it would have been better to have done away with them completely, especially as the arm rest will get damaged if used to climb up to the top bed.
The MB satnav least said the better!

Hopefully the wind and rain has stopped sufficiently to enable you to get out and you are not fining it claustrophobic after moving to a smaller vehicle. I am sometimes temped to go larger so comparisons are interesting.

Method7

I don’t have any issues with the satnav other than setting a destination, it seems to take ages and I have it muted and really only use it as a guide. The best feature is that you can set it running and have it on the centre screen between the clocks where it really just tells you when the next feature is.. I use that quite a lot only going back to the main display when nearing tricky built up destinations.

Great Photo SBD,

SteveR

Personally I think the satnav is a really poor implementation of what could have been a great feature. Such a non-intuitive interface backed up by some seriously questionable routes down narrow tracks and dead ends. I gave up on it totally when although it was blatantly obvious (and signposted) to head west it directed me east

Awesome picture SBD - the sunlight really shows off the brilliant silver

Method7

I do have the setting set to use the fastest route and it has redirected to avoid traffic but I zoom out to see where it’s taking me if I have any doubts. Often it’s a crazy loop through the lanes or hop of at one motorway junction only to rejoin at the same junction. I get what your saying but in my experience they all do that one way or another.
The children like to see it on long trips, the ETA in particular .

I have a decent pioneer head unit with Apple CarPlay and DAB the interface was much better and I was wondering if it’s possible to install it and hook it up to the speakers and run it off the aux battery without effecting the existing sound system. Then at least we could get more than 30min of entertainment..

SteveR

....I have a decent pioneer head unit with Apple CarPlay and DAB the interface was much better and I was wondering if it’s possible to install it and hook it up to the speakers and run it off the aux battery without effecting the existing sound system....
Now that sounds interesting :)

Steve B

I do use the sat nav, similar to Method7, ETA etc and it does get most things right, its the updates you need to keep doing. It insisted on sending me down a no entry a few weeks ago, and has asked me to cross a dual carriageway before. My 15 plate Audi was the same, £200 update needed or it didn't recognise new roads or changes.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I used Co-Pilot on an iPad in the Ducato but that a built in tablet holder.

With the choice of apps available like co-pilot, Waze, Google maps, Here, Apple maps, Sygic etc, all free or free to try then relatively inexpensive to purchase, I can't see the point of dedicated units that need payment for expensive updates.

SteveR

....I can't see the point of dedicated units that need payment for expensive updates....
I think the only real plus point for me is neatness. Built in looks better and saves the faff of hooking up phones, tablets etc with associated cables, power, holders and the like

Grand Tourismo

I tend to use any satnav as a useful local A-Z map and a more general guide to navigation.
Live traffic on the other hand is a Godsend and TomTom or Google mapping seem to be the best at reporting that.

I have an early MP and therefore the built in Garmin system. A map update is a simple case of inserting a new SD card which is apparently £99 from MB parts for the latest map.
In contrast BMW want 11 hours workshop labour to update the built in nav!! Apparently it can take that long to update the system... why they feel the need to have a tech standing watching is beyond me! :Headbang:

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I haven't even worked out how to operate the heating system yet:Headbang: so I've no chance with the sat nav. I'll stick with what I know as I can't be arsed sitting for hours trying to read the tiny print in the handbook, then navigate around the Command thing. Everything seems way over complicated but I guess that's what comes with being the wrong side of 65:D