Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"Work from Marco Polo"

Webbah

So like many of us I've been working from home for a long time now due to Covid. I was working from home prior to that as I am in pre-sales so this was nothing really new, but after purchasing the Marco Polo I decided one of the benefits would be to kit it out to be my mobile office. Choose a place with scenery for the day, work and eat lunch, maybe do some sport (SUP, etc) if the weather is nice, etc. I've only owned the MP for a little over a month now, but wow what an amazing mobile office! This is like a mobile executive office on wheels. Things I've done to make it work for me:

1) Added a Netgear 5G hotspot. Charges off of usb-c and I used a 0.5m cable to the USB-c in the tereminal strip next to the sink. I then mounted it on the side trim next to the driver seat using heavy duty industrial 3M velcro. The USB-c is powered constantly which is great! In Switzerland we benefit from our local mobile providers by being able to get an extra data SIM for 5 Chf a month that shares the same subscription as our mobile phone. Mine has unlimited data and I've had no issues using Zoom, Teams, and watching video trainings all day long in HD. Fantastic!

2) Some places I stay have lots of flying bugs and creatures that love entering the MP. I've ordered a Reimo mosquito net for the side door, but it has yet to arrive. I've been leaving the doors and windows closed for now, with the exception of the kitchen sliding window as I have the Westphalia metal venting cover. On hot days it still starts cooking inside the MP so I hunted for a MicroClima device I could use to cool the air without the motor running. I bought the EvaPolar EvaChill and it works quite well! Also powered by USB and simply add water from the tap. Can reduce temps by about 5C.

3) I've had an EcoFlow Delta 1,300 battery generator and this thing is simply awesome. It has 4 AC plugs and can handle 1,300 watts / 3,000 watts peak. I've used power tools, charged my laptops, electric kettle, electric table grill, etc. It also has USBc and USBa with quickcharge. Power for days!

4) I didn't want to be tethered to landline power cables unless absolutely no other option. I installed 320 watts of solar with Votronic controller, charger and bluetooth module. The install does not require any holes in the roof and uses an almost flat mounting plate that simply bolts to both roof rails. Awesome! Charges the leisure battery and also my EcoFlow Delta from an added 20A 12V socket I installed in the terminal strip that is always on (no motor running). Electricity situation sorted.

5) I installed the Westphalia "Staukasten" porta potti storage box/extra seat with a porta potti from Mercedes/Thetford. No need to search for a toilet anymore and it hides away inside a nice storage box with a padded top that forms an extra small seat when dining. Can still fold out the bottom bed (although tight) and sleep downstairs. Great!

6) Extra storage was added using an MFT BackBox. This is the only storage box I found that can be lowered easily to the ground (not touching) and allows full access to the tailgate door. Takes a few seconds to lower. Adds 300 liters of storage, and has expandable side skirts that can transform the box to allow carrying 4 sets of max 187 ski's or 2 snowboards. Sweet! For now moved most of my gear to the backbox and the interior of the van is clutter free.

Below a few photos of some nice spots I've been "Working from Marco Polo" in the last month.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 92

Steve B

Great set up, properly off grid working. I've worked from mine a couple of times, tethering my laptop to my iPhone for 4G, its worked well. The positive bit is when on MS Teams/zoom people can see your background and are fascinated by where you are, a good informal start to a meeting. I think working from anywhere is now accepted so you don't need to justify yourself - you might have been accused of skiving and being on the golf course a few years ago.

Webbah

Great set up, properly off grid working. I've worked from mine a couple of times, tethering my laptop to my iPhone for 4G, its worked well. The positive bit is when on MS Teams/zoom people can see your background and are fascinated by where you are, a good informal start to a meeting. I think working from anywhere is now accepted so you don't need to justify yourself - you might have been accused of skiving and being on the golf course a few years ago.
Yeah, most people at work now know I do this and love it! I work at Oracle and we’re cool like that. Bit I normally use an Oracle background so people don’t see where I am.

tutuxico

Hi, amazing setup. I live in Switzerland too (VD).
I'm looking to a way of charging my leasure batterry when the vehicule is parked. Solar and AC (camping) would be a solution. Havve you encountered issues with the solar panels?
Thanks

Deckard

Terrific set up - brilliant way to get the most out of your van and brighten up your day - almost makes me wish I was still working :D

Webbah

Hi, amazing setup. I live in Switzerland too (VD).
I'm looking to a way of charging my leasure batterry when the vehicule is parked. Solar and AC (camping) would be a solution. Havve you encountered issues with the solar panels?
Thanks
Hi tutuxico, no issues at all so far and it's been great! The biggest issue you'll have over the winter is slower charge rates due to the lack of sun vs summer, but that is to be expected. I had my kit installed at CaliSolar which is close to me, but from Vaud you'll need to make a day trip out of it.

He's just added some new products as well like a new LiPo4 Leisure battery which provides double the run time with half the weight. It's pricey and I haven't had the need for more power myself, but nice to see he keeps adding more for the MP to his product line. Ask for Reto if you call or write for more info.