Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen Replacement

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
I have unfortunately picked up a serious chip in the windscreen from a stone thrown up by another vehicle during our latest trip away. The chip is directly in front of the driving position and is probably borderline repairable. My insurance company delegate all glass repair/replacement work to Autoglass. I am wondering whether Autoglass use original replacement windscreens or a substitute? If I get Mercedes to do the work I get hammered for a much higher excess so I am reluctant to go down this road unless I have to? Does anybody have any experience of (a) windscreen replacement with the MP (b) Autoglass as a company?

RFT

Call Autoglass and ask them if a) they are able to replace your screen and b) if it will be their own product or OEM. With that information you can make an informed decision.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Call Autoglass and ask them if a) they are able to replace your screen and b) if it will be their own product or OEM. With that information you can make an informed decision.

I’m trying to contact them but they are one of those companies that have put all their account management online re booking an appointment and I can’t find a telephone number at the moment

RFT

I’m trying to contact them but they are one of those companies that have put all their account management online re booking an appointment and I can’t find a telephone number at the moment

0800 363636

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
0800 363636

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - I eventually got past the automated option system and spoke to someone who advised me that the screen they use is exactly the same as the Mercedes one except it doesn’t have the Mercedes logo. Apparently if I want to have the Mercedes one it has to be authorised by my insurance company and will (probably) cost me more...

I think I will chat to the Mercedes dealer tomorrow and see what they say - presumably will try and persuade me that it should really be a Mercedes one fitted by them...

SteveR

So..... the bigger question is what is the difference between an MB one and an Autoglass one? Surely, in simple terms it's a piece of glass and as long as it has the same shading etc what is the difference?

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
My worry is the various sensors might not be the same specification

SteveR

My worry is the various sensors might not be the same specification
But, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the sensors separate from the glass? Autoglass will only replace the glass and re-attach the sensors, same as MB?

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
But, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the sensors separate from the glass? Autoglass will only replace the glass and re-attach the sensors, same as MB?

No idea - that’s why I’m looking into this.

Isn’t the radio aerial built into the windscreen? There is something in mine close to the edge of the screen. Will auto glass version have this built in?

Method7

I would get a quote for all three, the OEM MB fitted, the MB Autoglass and the pattern Autoglass.
You might find that MB use Autoglass or some other fitting - repair service.

There are wires in the screen. An ariel or two, I would imagine one for the satellite phone thing and one for the radio. I can’t imagine Autoglass fitting a screen that doesn’t have the correct specifications...

interesting topic though I did wonder about that screen when fitting my dash cam, I had to run the wire down the RH pillar, that’s where some of the connections are made, just under the airbag.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Interesting conversation with Sandown Poole today about a possible replacement windscreen.

Apparently Autoglass can source replacement windscreens quicker than they can but work closely with the dealerships to make sure that all the sensors are recalibrated and resynched as required following replacement.

Some Autoglass workshops can carry out the the recalibration and resynching themselves - others will book the vehicle into the dealership to have this done.

Sandown were quite happy about Autoglass doing the work but recommended that I check with Autoglass when booking the vehicle in that they would sort out booking the vehicle in with them for recalibration and resynching of the sensors as part of the insurance claim.

I will therefore go ahead and book the vehicle in with Autoglass and will update this thread once I know more.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Autoglass think that the windscreen might be repairable after all as it comes in just under 1cm. I’m not convinced as it seems quite deep to me but we will see. But the first mutually convenient date for repair is a couple of weeks away.....it’s a good online booking in system though which involves uploading photographs of the damage so they can have a look at it.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Update - so Autoglass came today (eventually) and repaired the windscreen. In the technicians view it was a borderline MOT failure as even though the size of the chip is just under 10mm it is directly in the line of sight of the driver. However as he rightly pointed out if it did fail the MOT in 2 years time I could claim on my insurance then, and it was just as likely I would get another stone chip between now and then.

The repair has made sure that the windscreen is structurally sound and watertight although it has left a slight milky mark.

He confirmed that if the windscreen was replaced that the cameras and other sensors had to be resynched at a Mercedes dealership and some insurance policies do not cover this additional cost. I have yet to check with my insurers as to whether they do or they don’t but the moral is check the small print of your insurance policy.

KDM

I have unfortunately picked up a serious chip in the windscreen from a stone thrown up by another vehicle during our latest trip away. The chip is directly in front of the driving position and is probably borderline repairable. My insurance company delegate all glass repair/replacement work to Autoglass. I am wondering whether Autoglass use original replacement windscreens or a substitute? If I get Mercedes to do the work I get hammered for a much higher excess so I am reluctant to go down this road unless I have to? Does anybody have any experience of (a) windscreen replacement with the MP (b) Autoglass as a company?
Can they actually force you to use a particular company? My insurance company "recommends" certain body shops, glassiers, etc. I'm not sure I'd wanted a second party to mess with our vehicles windscreen. I had two very basic vehicles some years ago and the second party shop did a poor job replacing their windscreens. I'm wondering if Mercedes actually does the work in house or has a second party do the work off-site? I'd still go through the dealer, that way if something is off, it's on them to correct it.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Can they actually force you to use a particular company? My insurance company "recommends" certain body shops, glassiers, etc. I'm not sure I'd wanted a second party to mess with our vehicles windscreen. I had two very basic vehicles some years ago and the second party shop did a poor job replacing their windscreens. I'm wondering if Mercedes actually does the work in house or has a second party do the work off-site? I'd still go through the dealer, that way if something is off, it's on them to correct it.

No they can’t - but they can charge you an additional excess for using someone other than their approved repairer. In my case the additional excess (for a full screen replacement) would be another £200 on top of the basic £95 excess for a screen replacement.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hi All,

Just seen this post. The windscreen on my MP was replaced by the previous owner just before I collected it. It was replaced by Autoglass in Exeter but they weren’t able to calibrate the sensors. I was given a reference number to give to my local MB dealership for them to use to invoice Autoglass. All worked well and the sensors were calibrated by MB in Reading at no charge to me.

Andy B