Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you drive other than your MP?

Dan White

I’m assuming nearly everyone on here has a ‘normal’ vehicle that they use daily and just use their MP for weekends/days away, but what does everyone drive? Interesting to see if many also have a Mercedes car or something completely different

pumpsmynads

I pick whatever cheap lease deals are around at renewal time. :)
Last 2 years Golf R estate.
Next 2 years 420i gran coupe.

jimbo73

jimbo73

VIP Member
I have a vauxhall corsa that I use for the train station. My wife has a bit of a beast though..

probably wouldn't have got it had we known what was coming with Corvid-19, so lets hope we enjoy it
IMG_3861.jpegIMG_3973.jpeg

Epigram

MF135 for pulling me out of the mud when I get stuck.
Having just got the MP back on the drive after laying it up for the winter, I am contemplating social distancing myself in it to avoid all the DIY jobs around the house. If my wife disconnects the hook up cable, I reckon I have got about 3 days before the beer goes warm.

jimbo73

jimbo73

VIP Member
I think so too. Also one of the best production engines ever made and the best ‘drivers’ M3. Especially in the coupe/manual combo. Not much else to do at the minute so cleaned it again!
View attachment 817
lovely, ive never had the opportunity to drive, I have been a passenger. I see one most days (when I did go to work) that was the gold/ yellow colour. Sounds amazing too. I do like it.. looks immaculate

GeorgeG

Our only other car is a Toyota Prius PHV (plug-in). To be honest, I’ve not bought a French or German car for nearly 20 years because of dreadful unreliability. My 5 Citroen’s (including DS, GS & CX) were great, quirky cars but complex, unreliable rot boxes - but that was the ‘70’s. My first BMW - a 2002 tii Lux (hopelessly impractical, but it went well) - had Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection which broke down so frequently I got rid. Of the 4 VW’s I’ve owned the best was a 1962 Beetle (loved it) and the worst was a 1998 Golf GT Tdi bought new. Under warranty that car had replaced:2 sunroof motors, rear boot electric catch/lock, cylinder head, dual mass flywheel, complete engine, door seals, etc. Shortly before this my wife’s Polo had to have a replacement gearbox at about 13 months when the warranty was only 12 months!
I moved onto boring (but ever so reliable) Volvo estates - a 240 & 740 over 14 years. The only issues I can recall were the fuse box in the 240 was in the footwell and the fuses used to oxidise leading to annoying electrical niggles and the tailgate bottom edge eventually rusted. I had the very last of the 740’s, by which time they’d sorted just about everything - e.g. the fuse box was placed near the heater controls where it would never suffer damp and the tailgate was now aluminium. I gave that car to my daughter after 10 years and she ran it until she decided she couldn’t afford the petrol.

I then went Japanese (despite telling a neighbour in the early ’70‘s, who had just bought a Datsun, “if I ever buy a Japanese car, shoot me”). In the last almost 20 years all our cars have been Japanese or Korean, except for a lapse (due to wife) when I bought a Freelander 2. Rear diff failed, but fortunately it was 5 hours before the 3 year warranty ran out. After this I returned to Subaru. Apart from the Freelander, in that period I’ve owned 2 Honda’s (Jazz and CRV), a Nissan X-Trail, 2 Subaru Foresters and 2 Toyota’s (Rav4 and Prius plug-in).

in 54 years of driving I’ve gone from a Morris 8 side valve to a Toyota hybrid plug-in - some journey! What were the best cars I’ve owned? Of course it depends on the features you most value.

My DS Safari was an awesome car in the extraordinary innovation of its engineering for the time. However, it was let down by terrible build quality (as were most cars in the ‘70‘s) and complex engineering (I know because I used to do my own repairs) which could perhaps have occasionally been simplified with a little more thought - the first instruction in the workshop manual was usually “remove front wings”, whatever the matter in hand.

In terms of ticking most boxes my SJ series 2014 Forester XT was probably up there with the best. Amazingly practical with awesome visibility, very quick (240 hp), probably the best AWD system out there, incredibly well engineered, comfortable and bomb-proof. In 7 years of Forester ownership (2 cars), the sum total of repairs was a digital clock under warranty. It was more expensive than it should have been (same in GBP as in USD - down to greedy importer) and a bit thirsty - although 31.2 mpg (calculated) is not bad for a twin scroll petrol turbo when I only managed 30.2 mpg in my diesel Freelander.

In terms of the best car for the current situation (with and without Coronavirus), I’ve got to go for the Prius. Toyota engineers have obsessed with efficiency. The Cd was the lowest of any car until recently, the weight is low (carbon composite tailgate etc), the drive train/battery pack is optimized for the best balance of range on EV and range on ICE, it’s whisper quiet (apart from some road noise due to a deliberate decision to keep weight down by not stuffing it with noise suppression mats etc, it’s very comfortable being on the new TNGA platform, cheap to service ( a £500+ Land Rover service costs £160 at Toyota, 5 year warranty (15 years for battery pack), Toyota/Lexus more or less sweep the board in customer satisfaction surveys, particularly the Prius, and lastly the fuel efficiency: over the last 3 months my average mpg is 213.9 (calculated). In recent months I’ve driven from Newcastle upon Tyne to Dorset and York to Dorset - journeys of over 300 miles on hybrid only, with no plugging in, and in both case I’ve achieved over 80 mpg which includes motorway driving at 70 mph.

Apologies for the length of this post - if you got this far! I got a bit carried away as I’ve not got a lot to do at the moment being over 70 and locked down1DC1D460-660C-420F-9683-A9AA9F294C14.jpeg