Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warning: Horizon Main Battery

jaffa

Thought I would post this as a heads up for Horizon owners but also interested to hear if others have been there...

We camped for 4 nights without moving the van this week and managed to completely flatten the main battery. I had always thought the lights worked from the leisure battery (which I was watching like a hawk) - they don’t. I then realised that all the electric doors etc will also drain power when not being driven. So 3 nights looks to be the absolute limit for us off grid without taking the van for a spin, even if the leisure battery is coping fine!

JamesWu

I can confirm my 2012 Viano Marco Polo the two main lights (over the door and over the kitchen) are drawing from main battery (I removed leisure battery to verify it), however I just had 6 nights off-grid (solar panel to top up leisure batter ONLY), main battery did not go flat, in fact far from flat because the smart alternator kicked in quickly (annoyingly), could be the electric door, mine is the old manual one.

SteveR

I can confirm my 2012 Viano Marco Polo the two main lights (over the door and over the kitchen) are drawing from main battery (I removed leisure battery to verify it), however I just had 6 nights off-grid (solar panel to top up leisure batter ONLY), main battery did not go flat, in fact far from flat because the smart alternator kicked in quickly (annoyingly), could be the electric door, mine is the old manual one.
Did you try any of the other interior lights James? The only reference I can find in the manual for lights drawn from the leisure battery are for Marco Polo lamps beside the roof storage cupboard

JamesWu

other lights are all off after I disconnected leisure batter, except for the two lights I mentioned above as well as other lights which is controlled from the central dash board (standard vehicle lights). You can also verify it by removing the kitchen fuses.

Frazered

Thanks for sharing this.

Am looking at a horizon used or new and realised there is no electrical hook up also so power is constraint even if hook up was an option.

How long a drive is needed to recharge the main battery?

Frazered

have been digging around on this topic and the frustrating absence of a camping power hook up plug. no option to specify according to the merc brochure.

seems like possible options for power include:

- giving the vehicle a run whilst on site or as a day trip out (i guess easier if using a drive away awning
- hook up to UK plug adapter, then connect a battery charger / health trickle charger to the battery (i think under cabin seats in front of MPH?)
https://www.marcopoloownersclub.com/threads/where-is-the-horizon-leisure-battery.716/

- solar panel install (solar camper solutions installer do provide a kit for the MP and the MP horizon)
- buying a power bank
- buying and extra LED lights and other accessories

Last edited:

AGP

Thought I would post this as a heads up for Horizon owners but also interested to hear if others have been there...

We camped for 4 nights without moving the van this week and managed to completely flatten the main battery. I had always thought the lights worked from the leisure battery (which I was watching like a hawk) - they don’t. I then realised that all the electric doors etc will also drain power when not being driven. So 3 nights looks to be the absolute limit for us off grid without taking the van for a spin, even if the leisure battery is coping fine!
Hi there. My Horizon has only one battery. It is under the passenger seat. There is no leisure battery in the Horizon. There is no battery under the bonnet. I used a compressor fridge for 2 weeks in September keeping the battery topped up with a suitcase type folding 120w solar panel in Cornwall. There were no problems. Graham

Method7

Hi there. My Horizon has only one battery. It is under the passenger seat. There is no leisure battery in the Horizon. There is no battery under the bonnet. I used a compressor fridge for 2 weeks in September keeping the battery topped up with a suitcase type folding 120w solar panel in Cornwall. There were no problems. Graham
Our 2018 horizon has two batteries, one under each seat. I have been experimenting with charging them, the main battery through the 13 pin towbar socket. And the leisure battery through the power outlets in the back.