Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upstairs or Downstairs ?

Deckard

We had our 1st proper camping holiday in the MP, down in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time and the long drive was far more pleasant than last year (in our T6). One thing that was a bit of a faff was making the bed each evening and clearing it all away in the morning. We did think about sleeping up top but, with no ladder, found it too difficult to climb into. We're thinking about getting a ladder for our next outing.

How many of you sleep up top rather than on the folded down seats ? There's already a mattress in our roof - which I assume is standard. Do you find it more comfortable ?

We were getting around 44 mpg on the drive to and from the site (around 215 miles) - and that included around a one hour delay/slow moving trafiic, in each direction, due to road works and a major accident. Is this about typical for a 220D MP ?

Blackrat

We’re too old to clamber up top. We use the bottom bed and transfer the mattress down from the top. After a bit of practice is doesn’t take too long.
Your fuel consumption figures are about the same as we get on a long journey.
Just got home from a 50 mile journey, mostly cruising around 75 mph and I got 43 mpg.

Marty ling

We’re too old to clamber up top. We use the bottom bed and transfer the mattress down from the top. After a bit of practice is doesn’t take too long.
Your fuel consumption figures are about the same as we get on a long journey.
Just got home from a 50 mile journey, mostly cruising around 75 mph and I got 43 mpg.
Hi all, within the last month completed a marathon trip in our MP. Left miserable Norfolk and headed north to do our first
extended journey. our travels took us to Scotland where we completed the NC 500 , after which we took the ferry to the outer Hebrides and drove top to bottom finishing at Castlebay on barra. During which we slept up and down ( wife on bottom ) I must say we didn’t find it an issue and would go so far as to say it was enjoyable, the 500 itself is worth a go ( if you are thinking of doing it ).
over the 2,350 miles we did we got a return of49 mpg. No issues with MP. Only moving things continually from A to B

Happy motoring
marty ling

Roy C

We had our 1st proper camping holiday in the MP, down in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time and the long drive was far more pleasant than last year (in our T6). One thing that was a bit of a faff was making the bed each evening and clearing it all away in the morning. We did think about sleeping up top but, with no ladder, found it too difficult to climb into. We're thinking about getting a ladder for our next outing.

How many of you sleep up top rather than on the folded down seats ? There's already a mattress in our roof - which I assume is standard. Do you find it more comfortable ?

We were getting around 44 mpg on the drive to and from the site (around 215 miles) - and that included around a one hour delay/slow moving trafiic, in each direction, due to road works and a major accident. Is this about typical for a 220D MP ?
We started by sleeping downstairs but have moved to sleeping upstairs. The upstairs matress is surprisingly very comfortable and we find it easier to get sorted in the morning by leaving the duvet and pillows upstairs and just pushing the bed up compared to stripping the downstairs bed linen, packing it away and putting the seats back up. We have a ladder to make the clamber up easier although it’s a bit of a faff orienting oneself….

Mary Davis

We sleep upstairs. Its very comfortable, more so than down, which as you say involves moving stuff around. If staying longer than one night we leave the bedding in place. We sleep down when weather is blowing a gale!! Love the van.

Method7

never slept up top... its a little cramped up there and the Horizon bed Is massive - we have a self inflating topper that rolls up in no time - bedding pillows all included - the one way valve helps stop it unrolling and it sits on the bed extender. Yes it takes a couple of minutes then a quick pull of the leaver and the seat is back up..

all ready for a quick get away to the nearest McBreakfast... :cool:

I have had a PopTop since 2018 albeit a 2009 639 model.
Both my wife and I are septuagenerians and agree that making up the bed each evening and clearing it away the following morning is too much of a faff and therefore always sleep up in the PopTop (the Penthouse) and always have a good night’s sleep. In fact it is so comfortable (more so than our bed at home which cost several thousand £££) that we never sleep below.
Yes, we bought a 5 rung ladder which stows away during the day in the ‘penthouse’ and when on the road, lies on top of the fridge, stove, sink unit and secured by 4 small Velcro pads.
Trust this may be of interest, happy to answer any questions you may have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mat-One-T

We use top and bottom beds after discovering the top bed has a weight limit of 160kg (2017 MP), and it felt like it was bending slightly when we both slept up top..

Chris

We sleep up top. The (2021) weight limit of 200kg gives us confidence!
We love to get up (down!) in the morning and sit in our 'lounge' with a cup of coffee, planning our next day without any reorganisation required.
Tried downstairs once when we knew it was raining all night and we had an early start next day. Surprisingly, it felt more claustrophobic.
Any suggestions for ladder would be welcomed as the day may come when we need it!

Pete S

Pete S

VIP Member
We sleep up top. The (2021) weight limit of 200kg gives us confidence!
We love to get up (down!) in the morning and sit in our 'lounge' with a cup of coffee, planning our next day without any reorganisation required.
Tried downstairs once when we knew it was raining all night and we had an early start next day. Surprisingly, it felt more claustrophobic.
Any suggestions for ladder would be welcomed as the day may come when we need it!
Hi Chris! We bought an old Marco Polo in Norway last year and (I think on the basis of a recommendation somewhere else on this siteI) bought a Brunner Laddy Alcove ladder. We just lean it against the front edge of the roof hole and it does the job well. Solid construction, and absolutely worth the space it takes in the back when we're moving - we're only two anyway.

Like you we always sleep in the ‘Penthouse’, soooo comfortable.
Access is by a 5 rung ladder found in a camping/caravan outlet.
I cut it down to fit on top of the side work station when on the road, secured by 4 small Velcro pads and stows away in PopTop when on site.
This has been, for us, a ideal solution.
FYI, being retired we spend many months away each year ‘living’ in our Marco, both home and in Europe which in 2020 was for 7 months, bliss.
If I can help further let me know, always happy with help

V

Vickim

VIP Member
We also sept up top perfect night sleep every night all the way round the NC500