Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Too noisy?

mptripsaway

I think at idle the 220 is noisy, lumpy and generally agricultural, once rolling it seems to get smoother. I don’t really have anything to compare it with, our 1999 V-280 is much better at idle but has nothing compared to the Horizon once the hand brake is off..

I have no complaints, In fact I think it’s much more refined, the v-class has come a long way in 20 years, it now has heated seats, ventilation in the rear and rubber bands for tyres, not bad for a van.

I was surprised at the tiny little turbo on it though, that’s not going to win many points.
Hmm!

Method7

Yes I agree with @GeorgeG driver modes and Tyre profile may well make a difference to road noise, I also noticed a vast reduction in noise when I added Michelin eco tyres to my previous v-class.

We are a one car family so I don’t really have a comparison but the Horizon ride quality is superb and much quieter than our old V-280, it’s also much better balanced and by comparison has virtually zero body roll.

My drive back after collecting it was just over 4 hours and when I arrived I stopped, let the family in and we went out for a pootle around to grab a pub supper. I didn’t want to get out of it even at the pub.

I understood that it is fitted with active suspension, having not read any deeper into this I assumed that it may well be adjusted through driver modes, comfort hardly aligns with anything other than ride quality. To be honest the only noticeable difference I have witnessed between these modes seems to be the throttle response, it’s quite woolly in comfort and eco mode and tends to lag quite a lot, in sport and manual its a lot more responsive and feels more connected to the wheels, in sport it revvs much higher before selecting another gear..

Only had it a week and still exploring, but to be honest I have nothing to complain about. I think it’s fantastic.

Method7

Yeah I’m not a fan of Diesel as a fuel for domestic vehicles. Unfortunately I feel we are stuck with it, there are no petrol option vehicles being produced. The odd Japanese import of converted 3.2 V6 Mercs’ on auto trader where the seller seems to prefer to show images of his forecourt and burgundy bongos.

GeorgeG

You’re quite right Will. I find it difficult to navigate my way through all of the bits and pieces of information/spec on Mercedes models - the handbook is pretty useless. My confusion comes from Mercedes’ ubiquitous use of the term Agility Control. Although the V-Class models have adaptive dampers, the ability to actually change the damper settings by selecting the different driving modes, Comfort, Eco, Sport etc., is only available in cars with the Airmatic suspension.

By selecting Eco you are altering the shift points of the gearbox as well as the function of the climate control system and other ‘comfort features’ to optimize fuel economy, but not the damper settings. I suppose this makes sense in a 3 ton van.

I find the overall drive and ride comfort of the MP to be very acceptable compared to my previous Fiat Ducato based Westfalia camper, as well as my earlier California. I get the impression that many members of this forum have come to the MP from rather more upmarket and highly specified Mercedes models. I’m sure if that is the case they will find the MP compromised. But you have to bear in mind the difficulties of balancing performance, ride and handling in what is basically a heavily laden van. I think Westfalia/Mercedes have done a great job.

WILLH

I’ve no complaints at all regarding ride comfort,handling or road noise in my MP,relative to the type of vehicle it is.My job sees me travelling around the country in various different make prestige,luxury and performance vehicles,as well as some commercials and camper vans too so I have many reference points from all different vehicles.The MP ride and driveabilty is head and shoulders above the VW California’s and Transporters I’ve driven.Often we travel in the MP as a family and I have no problem at all with road noise having a conversation with my daughter who sits in the back.The weight in the vehicle due to the kit and the slightly compromised integrity of the body due to the roof arrangement can be felt a little during cornering sometimes but only to be expected really.Im very happy with all aspects of my van.

Trevsked

I guess my expectations are higher and possibly unrealistic but as said before, my Transit (new) is quieter and a better drive. That’s not to say the MP is noisy or a bad drive, just out of the two I don’t cringe going over a pot hole (best avoided) or let the tyre noise in the Transit irritate. It’s good to hear the California isn’t as good a ride or drive than the MP and I’m not disappointed with my choice, merely an enquiry as to whether others felt the same. From the responses I’d say a mixed bag with the majority more than happy with ride/drive/noise. I’m going to look up the DB rating of my ContiSportContacts.

Trevor.

WILLH

I’ve driven a few new transits,(minibuses and vans) and personally would not say they are any quieter on the road than the MP,maybe if you have a bulkhead in yours then this is insulating some of the noise.They probably do drive a bit better than the MP in all fairness however I have yet to drive one with the similar additional weight of all the kit that is in the MP and also some of the bodyshell integrity in the roof removed to make a direct comparison like for like.My van has Conti Sport Contacts.

Paul Mc

I have found the climate control fan makes a lot of noise when it’s running. The noise comes from the area adjacent to the gas bottle tank.
Anyone else notice excessive noise from this area of the van?

Last edited:

Paul Mc

Paul,

Is that when you’re driving? I’ve not noticed any noise from that area I’m afraid.

Trevor.
Yes, and if you stop/park the vehicle but keep the engine running with climate control activated, you can hear the rather noisy fan when you open the gas container cabinet door.

WILLH

Are you sure the fan isn’t turned up to the maximum on the rear climate controls-they are a separate menu from the main climate controls for the van.

I have found the climate control fan makes a lot of noise when it’s running. The noise comes from the area adjacent to the gas bottle tank.
Anyone else notice excessive noise from this area of the van?
Yeah I've noticed this, I've not yet discovered how to set rear climate control,hopefully il find out soon

Trevsked

I don’t know but perhaps it’s nothing to do with the A/C, I suspect it might be an extractor in case of gas leaks if it’s in that compartment? Only a guess.

Trevor.

WILLH

The density of the campingaz is greater than the atmospheric air and has been designed to vent through a hole/s in the bottom of the plastic gas cylinder container in the event of a leak from the gas bottle coupling/regulator.Hence the lid of the gas bottle container has a seal.

As stated before the sound will be from climate control fan for the rear compartment set too high.Im sure this has been discussed on the forum before.