Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tires and Rims

KDM

Hello All, Just picked up a new 2018 MP (someone ordered and cancelled, our gain). Love it. We have the all-wheel drive version, but it came with 19" summer tires! By 1 November here in Europe we must have mud and snow tires. My question is, can I go 20" x 10" winter tires on this vehicle? The wheel wells look tight.

caMPike

See registration certif. of the car it contains all possible tyres and rims combinations. The 20” rims will looks great but affraid how comfortable with low rubber profile such heavy car. 4MATIC eats rubber of low profile tyre faster and also higher profile works better for offroading

Reactions: RFT

KDM

Thanks. Ours came with the AMG 5-Spoke 19" rims, will likely get another set of these rims and mount ultra-high performance winter tires on them. Any tire recommendations for this somewhat heavy vehicle?

Method7

I’m not sure you’ll want to do that, at least that isn’t what I would do or anyone planning to use 4WD in overlander type conditions. Large rims with super low profile tyres are very vulnerable, I have 19” rims on my MP and genuinely believe they are pushing the boundaries, I have already had a double blowout due to a mountain pot hole in Scotland.

If I was fitting winter tyres they would be on 17” rims (max) 60% and probably quite a bit narrower. I’m sure MB do a winter tyre / wheel contract, it might be worth discussing this with them.

Epigram

In the online manual, take a look at:
Wheels and tyres:
Wheel and tyres combinations:
General Notes, including safety notes
( found by pulling up “more” in the text)
Tyres

Only certain wheel tyre sizes combinations are permitted and you need to be aware of the impact on tyre pressure monitoring system, vehicle odometer, control systems etc.
To save looking up I copied this from the online manual but you will need to refer to the permitted wheel tyre combination tables in the on line guide.

NOTES
If you change wheel size, make sure they correspond to the correct wheel size category more. If the assignment changes without recoding the control units in the vehicle, the speedometer will not display the speed accurately. Driving safety systems and driving systems may then be operationally impaired or may detect a fault and switch themselves off.
You will find a table with the recommended tyre pressures for various vehicle loads on the inside of your vehicle's fuel filler flap or under "Tyre pressure tables" more. You can find further information under "Tyre pressure" more.
Check tyre pressures regularly and only when the tyres are cold.
Notes on the vehicle equipment – always fit the vehicle:

• with tyres of the same size across an axle (left /right)
  • with the same type of tyres on all wheels at a given time (summer tyres, winter tyres)
You can obtain information about tyres that have been specially designed and approved for your vehicle from a Mercedes-Benz Service Centre.

Epigram

Method 7, I sympathise with your view on vulnerability and damaging low profile tyres. I live on a single track lane with stone walls either side. In addition to pot holes, the odd rock falls off a wall and gets covered by vegetation with expensive results. On my other vehicles that have had low profile tyres about 50% of my tyre replacements have been caused through sidewall (and rim) damage even at the low speeds necessitated by the lane.
I would have preferred smaller wheels with a higher profile tyre especially as they would work better in snow and mud.

Does anyone have feedback on wet field 2WD performance ?

KDM

Thank you all. I'll likely stick with the stock AMG 5-Spoke (buy another set) and mount winter tires on them to stay in line with current vehicle calibration. We live in northern Italy and drove other all-wheel drive vehicles, Volvo XC-90 and Audi Quatro TT and used ultra-high perf tires like Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3. I need a good autobahn/autostrada tire for highspeed driving, most campgrounds we've been in and out of have pretty civilized road and parking areas--no serious "off-roading" for this lad ;-)