Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate 'Emergency' Release

Mat-One-T

Hi All,

I think this has been mentioned in other posts, but I'll disclose some practical considerations for using the tailgate release. The release is documented in the owners manual, but not in a very detailed way.

I found myself needing to use this when my tailgate refused to open following an ABS sensor fault, which prevented the door control computer from determining that the vehicle was stationary. I have had other cars where the microswitch in the tailgate handle have failed, also preventing the tailgate from opening.

The emergency release catch is inside the skin of the tailgate, and accessed through a small plastic cover at the bottom of the tailgate, as shown in attachments. Once you remove the plastic cover you can reach inside with a finger towards the bottom of the tailgate, and there is a lever that can be pulled which mechanically releases the latch. There are sharp metal edges on the inside of the tailgate, so take care if attempting.

Practical considerations:

• The bed extension makes accessing this release catch very difficult, especially if you still have the MB chair storage fabric basket in place. I have removed the original storage basket (replaced with large storage crates), so could ratchet the bed extension up and dangle over the top of it to reach the tailgate release.
  • It's far easier to operate if someone can pull the tailgate open from outside the vehicle once the catch has been released, but ensure your finger is out of the hole in the tailgate when your assistance pulls the tailgate open!
  • This is quite difficult to do if you know how to do it, so it could be worth investigating the release with the tailgate open. I don't think that it's very likely that you will need to ever use this, but if you do it would be easier following some practice.

Hopefully this information helps someone else out. Thanks, Mat.

Attachments

• DSC_0071 3.JPG
    DSC_0071 3.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0070 4.JPG
    DSC_0070 4.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 14

SteveR

....The bed extension makes accessing this release catch very difficult, especially if you still have the MB chair storage fabric basket in place. I have removed the original storage basket (replaced with large storage crates), so could ratchet the bed extension up and dangle over the top of it to reach the tailgate release....
Would it be easier, or even possible, to go underneath the bed extension: Rear seat forward then kneel / lie and reach under??
Not sure if this is possible unless you are very long and thin lol but just thinking out loud

Steve B

Thanks Mat, I think my gymnastics days are over trying to weave my way through the obstacle's! My point was just that we don't use the full tailgate much day to day, i tend to open the window. That said, the time you need to open the full tailgate would be the time it fails.

Hi All,

I think this has been mentioned in other posts, but I'll disclose some practical considerations for using the tailgate release. The release is documented in the owners manual, but not in a very detailed way.

I found myself needing to use this when my tailgate refused to open following an ABS sensor fault, which prevented the door control computer from determining that the vehicle was stationary. I have had other cars where the microswitch in the tailgate handle have failed, also preventing the tailgate from opening.

The emergency release catch is inside the skin of the tailgate, and accessed through a small plastic cover at the bottom of the tailgate, as shown in attachments. Once you remove the plastic cover you can reach inside with a finger towards the bottom of the tailgate, and there is a lever that can be pulled which mechanically releases the latch. There are sharp metal edges on the inside of the tailgate, so take care if attempting.

Practical considerations:

• The bed extension makes accessing this release catch very difficult, especially if you still have the MB chair storage fabric basket in place. I have removed the original storage basket (replaced with large storage crates), so could ratchet the bed extension up and dangle over the top of it to reach the tailgate release.
  • It's far easier to operate if someone can pull the tailgate open from outside the vehicle once the catch has been released, but ensure your finger is out of the hole in the tailgate when your assistance pulls the tailgate open!
  • This is quite difficult to do if you know how to do it, so it could be worth investigating the release with the tailgate open. I don't think that it's very likely that you will need to ever use this, but if you do it would be easier following some practice.

Hopefully this information helps someone else out. Thanks, Mat.
Very thoughtful of you to share this with the rest of this. Thank you.