Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Bike Carrier

John Charles

Greetings all. I have a 2018 MP. I’d like to get a bike rack and think the tailgate type would suit me better. I’ve been searching online and can‘t find anywhere to buy one. Any experience / advice? Many thanks!

RedKite

Greetings all. I have a 2018 MP. I’d like to get a bike rack and think the tailgate type would suit me better. I’ve been searching online and can‘t find anywhere to buy one. Any experience / advice? Many thanks!
We have a westfalia bike carrier mounted on towbar. Works well but has to be removed when opening tailgate. Upper rear window opens ok. Carries 2 electric bikes weighing 40kg. All the best.

Epigram

Many thanks. I think reading all the reviews I may well go for the tow bar option. Need to get a tow bar fitted!
Probably a good choice. There is at least one report on this forum of a tailgate rack failing and smashing the rear window as well as putting an unnecessary strain on the door opening mechanism.
There are several towbar mounted racks lower to allow tailgate opening. Again plenty of discussion and recommendations on this forum If you do a search.
I recall that factory fitted tow (detachable) bars come with an upgraded cooling system but fitting an one after market is not a problem unless you plan on towing a trailer in the mountains.
Good luck.