Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panels

Gek

Hi, we are looking to fit solar panels to our van, but not confident in doing it ourselves. Has anyone from Bournemouth or the surrounding area had these fitted and if so by whom. Thanks

Gedtin

I would be interested if you get any advice on solar panels for the Marco. I would have had some fitted but because of the roof blistering problems, I don't feel confident in going ahead. You might like to look at these guys - solarcampersolutions.co.uk. They look okay and do have a Marco Polo solution. I cannot investigate any further as I am waiting for the third roof to be fitted. If you find any other solutions or get this system fitted please let this forum know as you never know Mercedes may fix my roof so that I can go ahead.

Kiwi Ange

I would be interested if you get any advice on solar panels for the Marco. I would have had some fitted but because of the roof blistering problems, I don't feel confident in going ahead. You might like to look at these guys - solarcampersolutions.co.uk. They look okay and do have a Marco Polo solution. I cannot investigate any further as I am waiting for the third roof to be fitted. If you find any other solutions or get this system fitted please let this forum know as you never know Mercedes may fix my roof so that I can go ahead.
You're waiting on your 3rd roof...?? When did your last replacement happen and where did you get it done? I thought the blister issue was sorted with the new model number roofs...?

Gedtin

my replacement roof is in a worse condition than the roof that it replaced. My car is a 2018 model the roof was replaced within 2 years but I am now awaiting another replacement. All work is always carried out by Mercedes main dealers and usually takes 2 weeks. It has taken months however to get to this point. You are of course correct I thought that I would only have to have issue corrected once.

Kiwi Ange

Thanks for your prompt reply Gedtin. This is depressing. I've just had mine replaced. It's been an absolutely pilava with needing to return repeatedly to get issues sorted with incorrect alignment and niggly things like damage to the vehicle done during work. I was really hoping never to repeat the situation.

Blackrat

We’re also in the position of waiting for a second roof replacement. At least the dealer should know what they are doing this time!

Gedtin

My experience seems to be very similar to yours. Incorrect alignment, and niggly damage. I still have the roof rail finisher sitting on the dashboard as it fell off. I do have a crumb of comfort however, the quality issues are believed to have been finally sorted in 2021. My roof was replaced before this so hopefully yours should be a permanent replacement. Allegedly if you remove the trim at the front of the roof it should reveal a serial number. From this you can tell if it is a post improved quality replacement. I my case no serial number was found when the dealer checked so I don't have any more detail.

Kiwi Ange

Thanks Gedtin. I asked the dealer specifically to confirm that this roof was the new part which new serial number and they said yes, so fingers crossed!

Blackrat

Hey Blackrat, do you know if your replacement was the new or old model roof?
I have to confess that I don’t know. I assume it’s the old model as the blisters are worse than the first one.
I’ll definitely be checking on the next one!

Decoryk

I had my flexible solar panels fitted by Bougerv and I was really impressed with them. The whole process was really easy and straightforward, and the guys who did the installation were very knowledgeable and professional. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to get solar panels fitted to their van.

Last edited: