Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels

Marco G

Has anyone fitted some after market solar panels to support the leisure battery? I was wondering which ones might be recommended but also how disruptive the wires are to fit re the lining etc. Thanks.

Grand Tourismo

Has anyone fitted some after market solar panels to support the leisure battery? I was wondering which ones might be recommended but also how disruptive the wires are to fit re the lining etc. Thanks.
Hi Marco G
I can't remember if you are UK based? but solar camper solutions fitted mine.
www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk - worked perfectly and utilises a Victron controller.

The most elegant solution I saw was fitted by Webbah if I remember rightly, drop him a line.

Last edited:

Webbah

I installed mine in Switzerland and it looks like you are in Cambridge. Here's some photo's nonetheless! These are 160 watt panels so 320 watts total. The baseplate is mounted on the rails of the roof so no drilling at all. And the wire runs through where the hinge is located so no drilling there either. Overall I have been very pleased. Work was done by http://www.calisolar.ch

IMG_1238.JPGIMG_1239.JPGIMG_1240.JPG

enano

I suggest purchasing a kit from solarcampersolutions.co.uk. I have no connection with them, but got their bundle for ease of installation and am very pleased. They include a wiring harness to connect the solar charge regulator under the fridge, without cutting any wires. Neat.

I have a single 100W panel on the rear end of the roof - the tallest part of the van is much farther ahead, so adding +-1.5cm to the rear does not make the vehicle taller. Also mounted on the roof rails, also flexible to adapt to the curved roof, and also cables routed through the hinge, so no drilling; I did make a cut to the rubber hose that drives cables next to the hinge to route the cables safely inside. The charge regulator is hidden under the fridge.

The 100W panel makes a huge difference. Most of the year you can park outside and leave the fridge on forever. I didn't go for more solar power because I calculated it did not make much sense for me unless I added another battery. Of course, your usage pattern may be different.

handsonfree

I installed mine in Switzerland and it looks like you are in Cambridge. Here's some photo's nonetheless! These are 160 watt panels so 320 watts total. The baseplate is mounted on the rails of the roof so no drilling at all. And the wire runs through where the hinge is located so no drilling there either. Overall I have been very pleased. Work was done by http://www.calisolar.ch

View attachment 2033View attachment 2034View attachment 2035
HELLO WEBBACH, is it possible to send me a picture how and where you inserted the solar cables trough the roof ?? This is my problem. As far as I can see out of your pictures its gone trough the Hinge , but where ?? and where are you coming inside of the car out with your cables ??? Prfect Job !!!!

Webbah

HELLO WEBBACH, is it possible to send me a picture how and where you inserted the solar cables trough the roof ?? This is my problem. As far as I can see out of your pictures its gone trough the Hinge , but where ?? and where are you coming inside of the car out with your cables ??? Prfect Job !!!!
Hi there,

I can do that as soon as I have my MP back. It's in service now getting the roof replaced (finally) after waiting 4 months. The cable is routed through the rubber boot and the installer made a small hole to do that. It then routes through the headliner and behind the cabinets to the front cabinet. The solar charger, etc, are mounted inside the cabinet just below the upper drawer where you put utensils. It has just enough clearance to do that and still use the cabinets without issue. Really clean install and I'm super pleased with it!