Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow chains

GTL

Hello all. I'll be driving to Chamonix in the French Alps (Covid permitting) at the end of January 2022 and I believe snow chains are mandatory, although in my experience the autoroute and main roads at the bottom of the valley are usually cleared of any snow. I am trying to discover which brand and model of snow chains I should hire (or purchase) for my 2019 model Marco Polo. My tyres are 245 45R18.

I spoke with one company on the phone who was eventually able to identify the vehicle as a V-Class Mercedes but wouldn't commit to saying whether their chains would fit without first checking for any obstructions in the wheel arch. He's in Kent, I'm in Cornwall so a quick trip for him to check wasn't on the cards!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or even better – is there a company in Cornwall that rents them out? Thanks in advance.

Webbah

Do you have winter tires or all seasons? If you have the mountain peak symbol on the tires you should be fine unless it is truly blizzard conditions. I would suggest winter tires though! I live in Switzerland and haven't needed chains with winter tires.

GTL

Do you have winter tires or all seasons? If you have the mountain peak symbol on the tires you should be fine unless it is truly blizzard conditions. I would suggest winter tires though! I live in Switzerland and haven't needed chains with winter tires.
I know winter tyres are the bees knees – I've had them in the past and they deal with most snow or cold situations, in the Alps and the UK. I don't have them on the MP though. However, as snow chains are mandatory in France in ski areas, my understanding is that you can be fined for even just not having them in the car – and I don't want to risk that. So hiring snow chains is the only solution – whether or not you have winter tyres.

Epigram

Hi GTL
You are right in that you can be fined if you do not have the correct equipment in an alpine area in winter i.e. from 1 November snow chains or winter tyres with MS and 3PMSF symbol. I believe France ( and Europe generally) is being stricter this year.
Snow chains can be dasily damaged in a single use if incorrectly fitted so I doubt whether anyone would want to hire them
I drive to the Alps several times each winter but not in the Marco Polo because it is not 4WD.
Summer tyres lose grip in the cold (not just snow) and because the rubber gets hard they wont throw out slush or snow from the tread blocks. I would be wary with such a heavy vehicle without winter tyres especially going down roads in wintery conditions. Going up is not so bad, you just get stuck!
Putting snow chains on a vehicle such as the MP is no fun. The cheaper ones that have a loop to connect at the back of the wheel can be difficult due to lack of pace. It is essential to get the tensioning links on the front right. Have a trial run in the dry first, not least to make sure they are the right size and actually fit!
In practice the back of the wheel will be clogged with snow and there is very little clearance to get your (very cold) hands behind the wheel to attach the fixing loop. Chains that can be fitted from the front are much better but more expensive. Don’t bother with snow socks.
A length of batten a couple of feet long to clear the slush from around the mudguard, a small shovel, a mat to lie old but good gloves and a head torch are also essential equipment. Stout cable ties and some sidecutters to remove them are also useful for emergencies. Aim to arrive in the light if you can.
Cheap lightweight chains can break on a heavy vehicle and, if they come off, body damage will be expensive.
Your speed will be limited to about 50kph with chains so expect impatient “locals” wanting to get past - there will always be one !
In short, if you do get chains get some good ones that can be fitted easily.
All this sounds a bit negative, it is just my opinion. Having learned the hard way, I expect the worst and hope for the best on mountain roads in winter but that’s the joy of the mountains.
There several MP owners on the forum who live in the alpine areas who they may add their views.

GTL

Hi GTL
You are right in that you can be fined if you do not have the correct equipment in an alpine area in winter i.e. from 1 November snow chains or winter tyres with MS and 3PMSF symbol. I believe France ( and Europe generally) is being stricter this year.
Snow chains can be dasily damaged in a single use if incorrectly fitted so I doubt whether anyone would want to hire them
I drive to the Alps several times each winter but not in the Marco Polo because it is not 4WD.
Summer tyres lose grip in the cold (not just snow) and because the rubber gets hard they wont throw out slush or snow from the tread blocks. I would be wary with such a heavy vehicle without winter tyres especially going down roads in wintery conditions. Going up is not so bad, you just get stuck!
Putting snow chains on a vehicle such as the MP is no fun. The cheaper ones that have a loop to connect at the back of the wheel can be difficult due to lack of pace. It is essential to get the tensioning links on the front right. Have a trial run in the dry first, not least to make sure they are the right size and actually fit!
In practice the back of the wheel will be clogged with snow and there is very little clearance to get your (very cold) hands behind the wheel to attach the fixing loop. Chains that can be fitted from the front are much better but more expensive. Don’t bother with snow socks.
A length of batten a couple of feet long to clear the slush from around the mudguard, a small shovel, a mat to lie old but good gloves and a head torch are also essential equipment. Stout cable ties and some sidecutters to remove them are also useful for emergencies. Aim to arrive in the light if you can.
Cheap lightweight chains can break on a heavy vehicle and, if they come off, body damage will be expensive.
Your speed will be limited to about 50kph with chains so expect impatient “locals” wanting to get past - there will always be one !
In short, if you do get chains get some good ones that can be fitted easily.
All this sounds a bit negative, it is just my opinion. Having learned the hard way, I expect the worst and hope for the best on mountain roads in winter but that’s the joy of the mountains.
There several MP owners on the forum who live in the alpine areas who they may add their views.
I remember the joys (?!) of fitting snow chains to a Mercedes E Class Estate I had about 20 years ago, after a dump of snow the night before we were due to leave Les Gets. Luckily I had practiced at home as you suggested.
Hopefully this time around I won't need to use them in the optimistic belief the main valley road will be clear, but it would be sensible to have a set that do fit the Marco Polo. As you hinted, I'm hoping some of our continental friends on here will have first hand experience and will be able to recommend specific brand/model. I can't believe that no-one drives a Marco Polo in the snow?

Epigram

The MPs and V Class taxis I have seen over the winter have been 4matics which makes me green with envy.
When I was planning to take my MP out a couple of years ago I was contemplating getting some Thule/König Easyfit but bottled out at the price about £450.

I thought I might be able to justify them as insurance against getting stuck in the mud when camping in theUK

GTL

The MPs and V Class taxis I have seen over the winter have been 4matics which makes me green with envy.
When I was planning to take my MP out a couple of years ago I was contemplating getting some Thule/König Easyfit but bottled out at the price about £450.

I thought I might be able to justify them as insurance against getting stuck in the mud when camping in theUK
Thank you for your comment. £450!! Wow. That would blow the idea of having a cheap lads weekend out of the water!

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
@GTL Take a look at snowcahinstore.co.uk - they offer TUV-marked chains for an MP from £125 a pair - the Koni Pros are about £200 - both are a 2 week leadtime. From the phone number, they are in/around Cambridge.

Any help?

GTL

@GTL Take a look at snowcahinstore.co.uk - they offer TUV-marked chains for an MP from £125 a pair - the Koni Pros are about £200 - both are a 2 week leadtime. From the phone number, they are in/around Cambridge.

Any help?
Thank you for the info. That sounds a bit better!!