Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Simple solar solution

JamesWu

Just wanted to share my DIY solar setup, it might be helpful if you want to stay off grid and don’t want to spend a lot of money.

As attached pictures, the panel sits on the windshield using suction cups, charge controller stays with the battery in the battery compartment using a few magnets. A quick DIY job after watching YouTube.

Here’s what I bought,

• A semi flexible solar panel from eBay, probably not the best quality or durability, but it only gets exposed to the elements when needed, should help on the life span.
  • A charge controller, I glued a few magnets on the back of the controller, it fits perfectly in the battery compartment, only pull the cables out from under the chair when in use.
  • A jump start cable from toolstation, cut the alligators, much cheaper than buying cable alone.
  • Two MC4 connectors, two lugs (for connecting battery), I borrowed tools to clamp the MC4 and lugs.
  • Extended cables with four MC4 connectors pre clumped from Amazon - now I look back, should have just bought a longer jump start cable and 6 MC4.
Tests:
This month (June), the panel outputs maximum 70% rated power, 4.4A before the controller, 5.4A after controller (controller transforms 18V to 14V so you gain a bit amps), I'm pretty happy with that. On cloudy days I still get a bit over 1 amp to the battery.

Attachments

• My Post (1).png
    My Post (1).png
    789.7 KB · Views: 151
  • My Post.png
    My Post.png
    477.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

edzt

James, have you got a link to the YouTube you watched, for the wiring. I can’t find it!
Cheers

JamesWu

can't remember which one(s) I watched, try Indie Project, Combi Life, but the wiring the pretty simple, solar panel goes to controller PV, battery goes to controller Battery, think that's all.

JamesWu

Review after a year - Think I'd like to update this, after a year of use (40-50 times of uses), the panel only outputs up to 40W (rated 120W), it degrades much faster than I have imagined, I'm looking into a solid panel now.