Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofitting of side awning - is it possible ?

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Can anyone advise me if it is possible to retrofit the side awning to the Marco Polo, or can it only be fitted from new by Mercedes ?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caMPike

MB use awning from Thule but You find similary solution from Fiamma model F45s incl adapters what fit at Marco Polo

Epigram

Can anyone advise me if it is possible to retrofit the side awning to the Marco Polo, or can it only be fitted from new by Mercedes ?
Thanks in advance.
My MP came with a factory (Westfalia) fitted Thule awning complete with rattles.
There were some Thule instructions which came with the vehicle and I seem to remember they contained an installation diagram. If you want I can dig them out for you.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
That would be really helpful If you could please.

Thanks in advance.

Epigram

Hi Andy B
I hope this is of use to you.
I suppose how much you use an awning depends on your camping style and how lucky you are with the weather (and positioning the vehicle. I wasn't sure whether I needed one but didn't want the hassle of fitting it later.
During the first three months with the vehicle I was tempted to remove the awning because of the rattles and relegate it to the other" unused" items - the upstairs net, the suspended storage basket, Mercedes chairs, the adjuster for the seat stops and the tie-down hooks.
Lack of space to store it and reports of difficulty getting the bolts undone sent me down the route of stopping the rattles. Various fixes later including some some additional roller springs from the Thule rep at the Motorhome and Caravan Show at the NEC ( - remember that ? ! ) the rattles were absent the last time I drove the vehicle.
Don't let the potential rattles put you off. If you can fit the awning you will be able to fix any rattles you get !

Attachments

• Thule Awning Instructions 231.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 55
Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Many thanks Epigram. All very useful !! Can you tell us more on how you cured the rattles from the awning ?

Thanks in advance.

Epigram

Hi Andy B
If you search “awning rattle” you should find most of the posts. Also plenty on the California forum.

RFT

If you extend the legs in their stored position and screw the leg extender nut tightly it really shouldn't rattle.