Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Questions Before I Purchase

I wonder if anyone could answer the following questions before I make the final decision on purchasing the MP?

1. The 2.5k Aux Heater Pack - Apparently is better for longer duration use, eg during a long cold night - how does the cheaper option perform?
2. Does the 2.5k Aux Heater Pack provide water heating or does this just apply to the cheaper option.
3. It looks like the face lift version can be purchased with a opening sun roof, is this a good option for the relief of condensation?
4. Is condensation a problem with the MP?
5. Do you think there is any advantages with the 3.0ltr engine as opposed to the 2.5ltr? I have driven the 2.5litre (only around town) and it seems powerful enough to me.
6. Does anyone have a real world picture of the Dolomite and Indium Grey MP, rather the the professional pictures from Mercedes that I could look at?
7. Do you have a roof box fitted? What’s the wind noise like and any problems with opening the roof? Do you think it may cause problems with the roof seals in the future?
8. How easy is it to empty the waste water? I believe the cap is under the vehicle.
9. Any options you regret purchasing any you wish you’d purchased?
10. Any problems when folding down the rear seats? I have looked at two MPs both had problems folding the seats flat.
11.Can the pop up roof be lowered manually in an emergency?
12. How’s the ride and reliability been?
13. Do think getting the Beige seats was a mistake?
14. How do you deal with a wet pop up roof or the side awning, to stop them getting mouldy?
15. Do you wish you’d bought the California Beach or a Motor home?

Thanks for taking the time to read the above, if you have any other points you’d like to add I’d love to read them.

Last edited:

Ian

I wonder if anyone could answer the following questions before I make the final decision on purchasing the MP?

1. The 2.5k Aux Heater Pack - Apparently is better for longer duration use, eg during a long cold night - how does the cheaper option perform?
If you want to use the heater for more than just pre-heating the engine you need the expensive Aux air heater. Search the forums for an explanation of the differences. In a nutshell the cheaper 'water' heater just pre heats the engine block and cabin, runs from the starter battery and can only run for 50 mins at a time. The expensive 'air' heater provides hot air heating to the cabin, runs from the leisure battery and can run indefinitely so long as there is enough diesel / electric.

2. Does the 2.5k Aux Heater Pack provide water heating or does this just apply to the cheaper option.
None of the options provide 'water heating' in the sense of providing hot water from the tap or shower. Any running water is cold only.

3. It looks like the face lift version can be purchased with a opening sun roof, is this a good option for the relief of condensation?
Don't know as we have a 2017 option. However a sun roof sounds nice and there seems to be a depression in the roof which would be where a sunroof would go.

4. Is condensation a problem with the MP?
Not for us. As long as you cook with some ventilation open and are sensible about heating / airing the van it is fine.

5. Do you think there is any advantages with the 3.0ltr engine as opposed to the 2.5ltr? I have driven the 2.5litre (only around town) and it seems powerful enough to me.
The pre-facelift model only came with a 2.2 ltr engine. This came in two power levels: 160hp, 190hp. We went for the 190hp as we found the other one a bit under powered. I think the new model only has a 2ltr engine but this comes in 190hp and a 240hp. I'd buy the most powerful you can afford. You can always press the accelerator less.

6. Does anyone have a real world picture of the Dolomite and Indium Grey MP, rather the the professional pictures from Mercedes that I could look at?
Can't help there.

7. Do you have a roof box fitted? What’s the wind noise like and any problems with opening the roof? Do you think it may cause problems with the roof seals in the future?
No roof box fitted. Looks easy to do tho.

8. How easy is it to empty the waste water? I believe the cap is under the vehicle.
Very easy. Just pull a lever inside the cupboard under the cooker and it vents out.

9. Any options you regret purchasing any you wish you’d purchased?
Distance guided cruise control would have been nice for long motorway journeys. We got a pre-reg vehicle so just picked one with most of what we wanted. Command is nice but I'm not sure I would have stumped up the cash if specifying it myself.

10. Any problems when folding down the rear seats? I have looked at two MPs both had problems folding the seats flat.
No problems for us. However we mostly sleep upstairs.

11.Can the pop up roof be lowered manually in an emergency?
Never tried (thankfully the motor has always worked) but there is a procedure in the manual to do this.

12. How’s the ride and reliability been?
Ride is very good for a van. Nothing has gone wrong with the car side of things. Had a few niggles with the camping stuff but fixed under warranty.

13. Do think getting the Beige seats was a mistake?
We went black as beige it seemed like a mistake given how we were going to use it. I think I was right for our choice. Beige does look really nice tho.

14. How do you deal with a wet pop up roof or the side awning, to stop them getting mouldy?
Dry them out as soon as possible or if the weather is really bad we just sleep downstairs and don't bother raising the roof.

15. Do you wish you’d bought the California Beach or a Motor home?
When I'm driving it or parking it I can't think of anything else I'd rather have. When on the campsite it would be nice to have more room / a bathroom. Perhaps later down the line if our usage changes we might change to something else.

Thanks for taking the time to read the above, if you have any other points you’d like to add I’d love to read them.

Hi Ian

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. As well as being a great help, it’s very much appreciated.

Andy.

Method7

You mention the California Beach.. we went for the Horizon option which is more like the beach it seats and sleeps 5 with no kitchenette.

It comes with manual pop up roof and manual folding bed not a problem for us since we have full mobility. This suits us since we need a vehicle that is both a large flexible luxury car That we can crash out in. We’re not that excited by hotels and B&Bs so this offers us a more choice.

Engine wise we have the lower powered 220 and off idle I really cannot fault it. I didn’t want a diesel, I don’t like diesel so there is a complement to MB who have done well to match engine and gearbox to produce a smooth and (mostly) responsive delivery. However, having said that I am very interested in the V300 quite simply because it’s a 2L turbo with a 9 speed gearbox.

In my book based on the 220 experience this can only mean one thing. The 220 gearbox is mapped to suit the power delivery if the 220, the significant power delivery is all at low revs which is really nice.

So assuming the 300 is mapped with a equal mindset MB have a 9speed gearbox to match, this can only mean the engine is tuned to produce maximum power through a very short sector of the rev range, a bit like a 2stroke.

This, if properly mapped or driven well will be awesome but my experience of engines with short power bands means that when you get this wrong there is nothing, zero power the under throttle until you eventually hit the sweet spot again.

This characteristic is awesome in a sports car, it can be very rewarding but I’m not so sure I want to be actively involved in this when I’m in my Camper van. I don’t want to sat with my foot to the floor waiting for the turbo to spool up..

I can’t wait to drive it, I really hope that the V300 delivers a reliably lazy and responsive experience.

We fitted a removable towbar and a roof rack, both options are well documented here. We don’t plan to use a roof box but fitting the rack is easy, choosing might be harder, we went for the 1350mm aero option. Fitting a roof box shouldn’t be to difficult apart from the fact that you are already 2m up getting to it might be fun.

I think, if we need more storage and we don’t need bikes (which is why we added the towbar) then I will probably go for the Thule boot box option.

If you plan on towing a substantial trailer I suggest you enquire about the factory tow-bar, there are several cooling upgrades incuded.

Method7 that was great explanation of the V300. I would also have preferred a petrol option or even a self charge hybrid. I was also thinking a boot box option may be a good way to go, as long as it not loaded with too much weight, wouldn’t want to damage the electric door.

I can see exactly why you chose the Horizon, with addition of the driveway awnings it could well be an advantage to have the space rather than the kitchenette, which are small. The sink looks too small to be useful tbh.

Not considered a tow bar as I’m unlikely to tow anything but supposed it could helpful to have.

Method7

@Toothlessjon I believe the Thule boot box attaches to the towbar, it could even be a optional extra that fits to their bike rack system but I haven’t really looked into it. We have the folding Euro three bike rack with the 4th bike extension that when adjusted correctly folds down to allow enough room to open the tail gate, even when fully loaded. It’s very well designed.

Today we went to the allotment and we strapped our rotorvator to it.. The platform is very useful for much more than just bicycles.

Steve B

I think Ian has answered most questions. With the engine; building on a point already made and from a personal perspective, I tend to drive in a very relaxed way so having power for speed isn't needed (I've had the sports cars, and got it out of my system). But pulling away, keeping up with traffic and hills, no issues with the 250.

No condensation issues, keep the rear side window open very slightly at night. I think if the sunroof option had been there, it would have been a consideration, but for daytime light not condensation.

I bought the MP as it will also be my daily driver when retire, the all round driving experience swung the decision. Three of my mates have VW's and despite liking mine would not buy a MP, so each to their own. Considered at motor-home, but they are quite big and sit on the drive/storage most of the year, we will mix camping with hotel/b&b

Hi Steve thanks for your answers they really help. I feel customers are buying the Volkswagen because of the history and community, and they are a good camper. But I am selecting the MP over the California because of the drive and internal looks. The rest seems to match up with Volkswagen.
Although I have to say the purchasing experience is torturous and something Mercedes needs to get sorted. Thanks again.

Question regarding condensation and cooling in the habitation area?

Can I ask how you deal with condensation in your camper on those cold nights and generally when cooking? Is it even a problem? Do your clothes etc get damp?

Also, do the campers get overly hot inside on those hot days , and how do you cool things down in the evenings when your trying to sleep?