Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Praise of my Marco Polo/ Evacuation from Spain

LG58

I cannot say how happy I am with my Marco Polo.
We were in Marbella due to return from N Spain by ferry on 25th March.
Watching developments closely we made the decision to return to the UK early and left 5pm last Saturday 14th March.
We drove staying within the speed limits and did 500 miles that night before we pulled over to sleep.
The next morning we filled up again after another 80 miles or so .
The roads were very quiet in Spain we just passed a large number of all types of Motor Homes from Belgium France Germany Holland Denmark etc

France was very different road normal road traffic I would say, we drove twelve hours stopping only for loo and coffee/ food stops.
The MP didnt miss a beat the only downside which was a bit scary was we passed 3 police motorcycle outriders in France North of Bordeaux.
THe next thing they were behind and alongside and took us to a lorry park and asked us to get out of the vehicle.
They were armed and asked where we had come from where we were going and if we had Alcohol cigarettes or over 10K in cash.
The police turned out to be customs and did a quick recce of the vehicle and searched my partners bum bag. They spoke good English and when they realised we were pretty genuine they were friendly and polite and wished us Bon Voyage. We didnt need to show papers or driving license etc

This was scary at the time but soon forgotten and we got to the ferry port at 8pm having done a small top up on fuel we had done around 1200 miles on 2 tanks and a top up pretty impressive.

WE couldnt book the ferry online and thought we might get on that night but in the end the ferry was full so we parked up slept and got on the ferry on Monday morning and were back in UK at 1.15 pm

I think the MP was the perfect vehicle for this journey we travelled in comfort and slept in comfort and made our escape from lock down in Spain and France by the skin of our teeth

It all seems a blur now but we are happy to be home

Please Stay safe and be responsible we are in self imposed isolation now and await futher developments

Method7

Excellent, we did that run in our 20 year old V280 a couple of years ago, obviously without the lockdown conditions which must have added to the stress but to be fair I think the Vito is a excellent vehicle and it has been excellent for decades regardless of the poor corrosion protection of the W638.
Much better fuel consumption, performance and a far better ride with the W447.. welcome home.

Epigram

Just done a similar 20 hour overnight dash back from the French Alps on 15/16 March. My wife (and MP!) is in the UK otherwise I would have chosen to stay there.

Roads very busy in both directions. All services on toll roads are shut except for fuel. Unfortunately I was not in my MP. I missed the excellent lights and I longed to have its back seat that I could have dropped down for the several cat naps I needed on the way.

Last edited:

Steve B

I haven't done anywhere near as long a journey as that in mine, but from the driving position and experience of 100+ miles journeys I can imagine it was comfortable.

We are in the Vall de Laguar in the mountains in from Denia in our MP. Have been out in Spain/Portugal since September 1. Had planned to return on March 24 from Roscoff but when the virus raised its ugly head we changed to Santander as it appeared France was becoming a problem. Ferry cancelled, all Brittany Ferries stoppppl

Sent from my iPhon