Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking Brake Warning

Anyone had the following? It drove home fine. Key off, key on, apply and unapply park brake seemed to clear it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_6379.jpg
    IMG_20190627_6379.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 39

Steve B

Could only fine a couple of references to parking brake, so resurrected this one.

Have had an annoying rattle from what sounded like the fridge area, very metallic and was getting more consistent. Did all the usual checks of draws, stuff in draws, cupboards etc but couldn't find anything. Then whilst parking, and the auto parking engaging, there was a small bang and the warning as per the picture above came on.

As under extended warranty, phoned for assistance and the RAC attended. It is a snapped parking brake cable. The car is safe to drive, and now just uses the auto box park. Phoned a dealer and they performed true to form - £139 just to have a look, so went to an approved garage. Still waiting for the quote but it might be a bigger job than just a cable replacement as the motor might be damaged. Intend to check with the warranty as a cable is (not that i've ever had it) wear and tear, but not the motor in my opinion.

Whilst driving it without the cable the rattle has stopped, so that was it, a loose parking brake cable hitting the underside of the car. I'll post the outcome of the fix on here. Will be of interest to those with MB extended warranty.

Steve B

So had the issue fixed, working with dealers is a pain and expensive and the probability of it being covered under warranty was slim. So went to the approved garage that did my last service, they assessed the fault and gave a quote - £15 for parts plus labour. Had it booked in, fix was done quickly and cost £200 in total (£139 just for MB to have a look). They also checked all discs/pads and reset the handbrake adjustment. OK, £200 is still £200, but in coming on for 5 years of ownership this is the first repair, so not bad. I think the warranty is still worth it as some of the electronics can be expensive if they fail.

Still have one last rattle to find, coming from under the sink!