Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No Leisure batteries in the UK?

Hyrule

I have an interesting scenario. My Marco Polo leisure battery was playing up, burning smell, not holding a charge. Still under warranty so into dealer. They confirm needs a replacement battery. Which is not available anywhere in the UK and is on back order at the factory in Germany. My option to leave Marco at the dealership until a battery is made and shipped from Germany, or have the battery removed so I can drive it but use any of the leisure features. And there is no idea of when the battery will become available until they officially order it. And maybe a long wait? Could be months?

I do find this a tad annoying but nothing I, nor the dealership, can work around. Of course, I could get a battery from, say, Halfords but likely that would invalidate my warranty or insurance in some manner if the van then catches fire. hey ho.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
You're not compelled to use an MB dealer, it won't invalidate anything to source the battery elsewhere.
Do that and send the bill to them.

Epigram

You're not compelled to use an MB dealer, it won't invalidate anything to source the battery elsewhere.
Do that and send the bill to them.
Not a bad approach. I would be minded to email them to suggest that the dealer install a substitute until an MB one becomes available.

Grand Tourismo

Does anyone know who makes the MB one? source a like-for-like replacement from that brand and bill MB (check with the dealer this would be OK first) or they can source a like for like for you?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Have a look at post 28 in this thread

Google that ref No and you'll find there are a whole raft of batteries to choose from.

I have seen mention that the battery under the passenger seat is marked as 'starter,' so no surprise that it turns out to be an inappropriate AGM stop/start batteryo_O not a true deep cycle one as it should be.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I've never looked at the leisure battery, what's the best way to get to it

I can't comment from first hand experience Steve, I can only share what I know from my many searches in the forum trying to gain some knowledge of the mp.

1.Two comments I saw about the battery under the passenger seat said it was labeled 'starter battery', visible from the front after sliding the seat fully back.
2. Remove the cover on the outside of the seat
3. Something I have done on my Transporter and Ducato, is something you will almost certainly have to do to change the battery is remove the seat. Easy to do but beware they are very heavy.

Steve B

Thanks SBD, I'll have a look when the weather improves, It was more about clipping a portable solar panel on. The lightweight folding ones have moved on over the past year or so and now get good reviews, so was thinking about that.

Grand Tourismo

Thanks SBD, I'll have a look when the weather improves, It was more about clipping a portable solar panel on. The lightweight folding ones have moved on over the past year or so and now get good reviews, so was thinking about that.
If accessing the battery to clip on - clip off in a fast and easy manner is not possible you could consider making a battery harness to bring out from the battery terminals with a plug in "tail" extension. I have attached an image to explain roughly what I mean.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 8
Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Thanks SBD, I'll have a look when the weather improves, It was more about clipping a portable solar panel on. The lightweight folding ones have moved on over the past year or so and now get good reviews, so was thinking about that

I didn't realise that was the reason. I've fitted some Ctek leads similar to the ones @Grand Tourismo mentioned to my wife car, due to lock down and limited use it needs a charge occasionally.

Ctek leads.jpg

You still need to gain access to the battery to fit them.
Easier but less elegant is just to charge through the 12v socket.

Steve B

Just looking at the kits and they do split the cable so you could leave it part connected as above and just pull the SAE plug outside when its in use.

Hyrule

I have an interesting scenario. My Marco Polo leisure battery was playing up, burning smell, not holding a charge. Still under warranty so into dealer. They confirm needs a replacement battery. Which is not available anywhere in the UK and is on back order at the factory in Germany. My option to leave Marco at the dealership until a battery is made and shipped from Germany, or have the battery removed so I can drive it but use any of the leisure features. And there is no idea of when the battery will become available until they officially order it. And maybe a long wait? Could be months?

I do find this a tad annoying but nothing I, nor the dealership, can work around. Of course, I could get a battery from, say, Halfords but likely that would invalidate my warranty or insurance in some manner if the van then catches fire. hey ho.
Update is that new battery should be available from Germany in a week, so hopefully a couple of weeks should see the issue finished

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Glad for you.

Quicker than you thought also:Thumbs up: