Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New MP: V5 Classification in the UK

Vaughnt

Hi I’ve tried reading the threads about the v5 classification and wondered what the benefits are of registering as a motor caravan and not an mpv?

The dealer seems to say they’re registering it as an MPV even though I’ve read there was a bulletin from Mercedes’ on 30th April 2021?

Any help would be appreciated as due to pick it up on Sunday or Monday

thanks

Attachments

• D29513F9-8A3E-426A-8153-2CB6892CE669.jpeg
    D29513F9-8A3E-426A-8153-2CB6892CE669.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
D

DogWagen

VIP Member
If registered as an MPV, there is an additional rate of VED (£335) for each of the the first 5 years of ownership. I'm paying £490 per year for my 19-plate which does drop to £155 from 2024!! But if registered as a Motor Caravan means a flat rate of VED - currently £280 per year.

Not sure why the dealer is insisting on MPV - point them towards the bulletin. I have an order for a new MP and the dealer knew about the tax differences when I asked.

Also worth a look at this thread: Motor Caravan v MPV which has the important bulletin details

Might be worth taking a look at Gov.uk for vehicle registration and vehicle tax.

Also found this neat summary from gov.uk

Any help?

Last edited:

Vaughnt

Thanks for this reply it clarifies it for me
If registered as an MPV, there is an additional rate of VED (£335) for each of the the first 5 years of ownership. I'm paying £490 per year for my 19-plate which does drop to £155 from 2024!! But if registered as a Motor Caravan means a flat rate of VED - currently £280 per year.

Not sure why the dealer is insisting on MPV - point them towards the bulletin. I have an order for a new MP and the dealer knew about the tax differences when I asked.

Also worth a look at this thread: Motor Caravan v MPV which has the important bulletin details

Might be worth taking a look at Gov.uk for vehicle registration and vehicle tax.

Also found this neat summary from gov.uk

Any help?

DPS20K

It’s actually the first 5 renewals that you pay the extra £335. The first year road fund licence is over £1500 cheaper if registered as a Campervan. It’s over £1800 for the first year if registered as an MPV compared to the £280 if done as a Campervan.

TMC

Although I'm not due to take delivery for (at least!) another couple of months, my dealer has already acknowledged the direction to register Marco Polos as M1SA

Changes to the registration procedure for V-Class Marco Polo models:

Background:

• Due to DVLA systems issues, to ensure the correct VED is charged on Marco Polo, there is a revised registration process until further notice
  • Please refer to Attachment 4 for full details
  • PLEASE NOTE: This only process only applies to Marco Polo and NOT Marco Polo Horizon

Revised Registration Process

· Please register all V-Class Marco Polo (NOT HORIZON) as M1SA with body type 27 Motor caravan, via the V55 document

· These can be registered as “Private Light Goods” with £280 VED (depending on weight & CC)

· M1SA vehicles are not subject to additional tax and there is no need to raise CRD documents for manual registrations

· Update ‘V55 registrations only’ flag on ERNIE rule

· ERNIE override: Category = M1SA

· ERNIE rule: Body code = 27

As an aside (an important one because of where I live), M1 on the V55 exempts the vehicle from Clean Air Zone fines in those cities currently operating a CAZ (different rules apply in London)

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Thanks @TMC - I'll bookmark this for when my new MP arrives (somewhen in 2022...)

Marc o Polo

Spot on TMC.

Just to add my two penn'orth...If the Marco Polo is not an Horizon it should be registered as Motor Caravan as TMC states, as it is advantageous to you - worth checking with your dealership their understanding as expensive mistakes in this area have been known.. Just realised you have probably picked up the van now?? Hope all is well.

Edit: That's a great picture by the way - AMG, coloured awning to match car, just fab. Can I ask is it a Mercedes "stock" car? Interested to know all about it, do tell...

Last edited:

Vaughnt

Spot on TMC.

Just to add my two penn'orth...If the Marco Polo is not an Horizon it should be registered as Motor Caravan as TMC states, as it is advantageous to you - worth checking with your dealership their understanding as expensive mistakes in this area have been known.. Just realised you have probably picked up the van now?? Hope all is well.

Edit: That's a great picture by the way - AMG, coloured awning to match car, just fab. Can I ask is it a Mercedes "stock" car? Interested to know all about it, do tell...
Thanks for this only just seen it. I’ve picked it up and sent them the v5 as they said they would get it changed and refund the tax.

It was a new order so specks it as I wanted - really pleased with it so far but looking forward to warmer weather to really try it out.

enano

Minor issue for guys traveling through the EU: countries may have different speed limits for road vehicles depending on their registration. Country specific rules are converging but they are still different throughout the EU. In Spain, caravans, cargo vans converted into campers, and cars converted into campers have different maximum speed restrictions. You want your MP to be legally registered as "caravan" or "car with camping furniture", as these have no special speed restrictions (max 120 km/h as a normal car). To be fair, if you drive a foreign registered MP probably no one will care about these subtleties.

Some municipalities in many countries, usually in touristic places, limit caravan parking next to beaches, etc. A Marco Polo that is legally registered as "car with camping furniture" or similar is not technically a caravan. A municipal policeman may still fine you if you park your MP there, but if you challenge the fine you will probably win.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, and it is generally not a good idea to argue with a traffic officer.