Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Benz Bike Rack

briand

I have just bought a used Marco Polo from a Mercedes Benz dealer but they could not tell me how to easily remove the genuine Mercedes Benz tailgate bike rack. It looks as though I can release the two lower rail side clamps and it may then slide off the brackets bolted to the tailgate hinges?

There are many more things the dealer could not answer so I may be back!!

James G

screw the the lower rail side clamps anticlockwise which releases them from the tailgate and then pull the lower half of the rack off the tailgate towards you which rotates/pivots the rack around the hinges. Once you've rotated by around 30 degrees it comes off the hinges

briand

screw the the lower rail side clamps anticlockwise which releases them from the tailgate and then pull the lower half of the rack off the tailgate towards you which rotates/pivots the rack around the hinges. Once you've rotated by around 30 degrees it comes off the hinges
Many thanks James, much appreciated

J

j200george

VIP Member
Can anyone advise the maximum loading for the MB bike rack? Reckon with the heft in my ebike I’ll need something like a Thule that sits on the tow bar.

J

j200george

VIP Member
Haha yes for sure!! I think the tow bar rack is the way to go thanks.

Tee

My manual. May not be the same as your rack so take care / your risk. Tech data here. It is the MBrack supplied by the dealer mid 2018. Let me know if you want the other pages if you can’t find online above. It’s a good rack from our use. Tow bar racks have a ball weight also so check those as they are surprisingly low given you think ‘caravan’.

Attachments

• 4637990B-80A6-4C41-867F-A4F72EB247BB.jpeg
    4637990B-80A6-4C41-867F-A4F72EB247BB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5

Blackrat

Tow bar racks have a ball weight also so check those as they are surprisingly low given you think ‘caravan’.
We have the Atera Strada3 tow ball mounted rack(which will be for sale soon).
The rack can carry 68 kilograms according to manufacture specifications.
The tow ball limit is 100 kilograms.
Plenty of allowance for 2 ebikes.

J

j200george

VIP Member
The MP I am considering has the MB fitted tow bar. As much as I like the look of the link above I couldn’t possibly lift my ebike that high. *wimp maybe but it’s a good 25kg.

Blackrat

The tow bar racks such as our Atera Strada are only a foot or so off the ground.
The other advantage of the Atera is that it can be dropped down to ground level to give full access to the boot without having to remove the bikes.

Tee

Yep it’s a way up. We have non electric mountain / road bikes so nearer 12kg.

The centre of the rack is open allowing you to stand inside the perimeter of the rack and easy access to the first two racks which is really good (not a feature on VW). But it is hard lifting if things are very heavy, or you are not tall, or reasonably good at lifting things.

You also lose use of the opening rear window. And you cannot open rear door with bikes on

But it is a great bike rack. Light, all aluminium, bikes rock steady. Looks decent, so we like it. Rated at 70kg. Max 30 on front two, 17.5 on rear two based on manual. Been through France with 4 bikes on without issue other than the time putting them on and getting used to the right format initially but you get that with other racks and it gets quicker each time. Made by Uebler we think.

Have the Atera Strada 4 bike on another car with tow bar. That’s a great rack also. There’s a thread on here about which racks drop enough to use the back door which is close!

So plenty of choice

Oslo

Oslo

VIP Member
Hi.

I recently bought the Atera Genio Pro Advanced for my MP. Only a 2 bike rack sat on the tow bar but can take my e-bikes allowing a max 60Kg. It took some research but found it lowers almost to the ground allowing the tailgate to be opened without unloading the bikes. Plenty of room to access the boot area once it is lowered.

Folds into a small footprint when not in use.