Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Marco Polo Horizon

Darrenwood

Hi all
Would love an Horizon as it would tick all the boxes for us as a family. The only issue is that we would need 6 seats. The MB website seems to indicate that there is an option to buy one with 4 captain style seats in the back but I can’t find any photos of them or mention of them in the UK. All I can find is the 3 seat bench style in rear.
Does anyone know if they are available and has anyone seen one ? Would love to see a photo to understand layout and how they work as a camper
Thanks
Darren

Method7

I don’t think the horizon comes with captain seats, maybe in Europe but I sort of doubt it since the bench seat folds flat to make a large bed. The V-Calss though, comes in several configurations up to 8 seats I think for the XL body and you may well find new or used seating that suits your needs. The rails have changed over the years so you need to match models.. im sure you could do it. It was mentioned on here that MB have either suspended or withdrawn the horizon so you might want to pop in to MB for a chat. It might be worth talking about the V-Class to find out what is possible with the long chassis

Darrenwood

I don’t think the horizon comes with captain seats, maybe in Europe but I sort of doubt it since the bench seat folds flat to make a large bed. The V-Calss though, comes in several configurations up to 8 seats I think for the XL body and you may well find new or used seating that suits your needs. The rails have changed over the years so you need to match models.. im sure you could do it. It was mentioned on here that MB have either suspended or withdrawn the horizon so you might want to pop in to MB for a chat. It might be worth talking about the V-Class to find out what is possible with the long chassis
Thank you - much appreciated. Like others makes do people buy a standard V Class and convert them to campers ?

tomasi

Hi there
I too had a quite a few sleepless nights over which configuration was best for us , between the activity, the horizon, the v klass conversion etc etc.
I had called up a few Van conversion companies in France to see if I could convert a V-Klass but what I understood was that aftermarket pop up roof fitting was not possible on a V_Klass because of the lateral airbags, the several companies I called all told me that they were licensed to fit a pop up roof only on the Vito models, which I didn't want because I wanted the V-Klass interior
I ended up with a Horizon, because it perfectly matched our needs (Daily driver, 7 seater, V-Klass interior etc). Don't regret it all !

Best of luck for the decision !!

Method7

Hey @tomasi your story is very interesting, some photos of your horizon config would be very useful.. we had a 1996 w638 for years and had several configurations that included a home made folding bed in the rear. As lit family grew wee needed more sleeping space so the pop up roof of the horizon was almost perfect for us.

J

j200george

VIP Member
Hi all, total newbie here and in the market for our first Marco Polo. I’ve been wondering if the horizon ticks more boxes for us and the main use I’d get out of it. It’s either a horizon or full camper I’m trying to learn on here about options etc.

I see the horizon as being a bit more suitable for day trips, mountain bikes (e-bikes off a rack on tow bar) maybe another inside the van removing the bench rear row. Also an additional seat so three along the middle row for those occasional times where I need to transport some family/ friends. The horizon looks like it would take a lot more load.

easier for dogs to get in the back space, not sure I want them (two wheaten terriers) in the middle compartment area.

Having said ALL that the benefits of going off grid and being self sufficient with the camper are obvious, however stick in some portable camping gear and you’ve got that to a degree.

as you can see I’m having a fairly active internal struggle with my actual needs vs wants. I’ll be lurking for a while but have my eye on a camper and a horizon both locally.

DPS20K

I can get three mountain bikes in the back of the full camper MP and still safely have passengers in the rear seat, just need to remove the front wheels of the bikes, take out the rear shelf of the MP and slide the seat forwards.
Just remember, if you add extra row of seats you will need to inform DVLA to get the V5 changed to show the new number and inform your insurance company.

Method7

For me - it was quite simple - i love the look of the full fat MP interior but asked myself how often would you sit in there cooking and washing up... when most of the time a BBQ or gas stove just out side or on the beach is possible.. it just didn't add up for us.. also the only demonstrator we looked at was a full fat MP and the leisure battery was flat - the roof didn't work and the seat/bed adjustment was slow - or didn't work i really cannot remember..

it just seemed like lots of grief for very little benefit where the horizon bed/roof is all manual - done in seconds... and all that space in the back for loads of stuff without having to panic about it smashing into a very pretty kitchenette...

J

j200george

VIP Member
^^^ not a million miles away from the thoughts I’ve had. There are all sorts of sexy nano pods and camping gadgetry that can be obtained to do most everything that the full fat allows.

I’m swaying towards the Horizon just now even though there’s a very nice if a little overpriced camper near me for sale

Method7

@j200george you might struggle to find a horizon ( i think MB paused production during covid) and either way all MPs, it seems are holding their value - keep us posted on your progress

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
This may be a bit late but I have seen recently a MP Horizon on the forecourt of MB in Reading. Might be worth a call if you’re still looking for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

j200george

VIP Member
:) I’m all sorted thanks I’ve got myself a nice low miler full fat V250.