Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling blocks and chocks

JEAK

Hello
I am new to having a camper van.
We collect our Marco Polo in a few weeks.
I am busy buying accessories in preparation.
What would people recommend as essential must have accessories?
When camping up do people use chocks and levelling blocks. If so which do you recommend?

Epigram

Hello
When camping up do people use chocks and levelling blocks. If so which do you recommend?
There are several posts with lists of items on this forum. Much depends on preference, where you are going, for how long and what you plan to do when there.
Apart from a hook up cable (you can survive several days off grid but need to charge the leisure battery when not using the vehicle) and something for filling the water tank or collecting water, my suggestion would be not to buy too much until you have had a few outings.
Ramps (like a Porta Potty) are useful insurance, but depending on where you stay, rarely needed.
I occasionally pack ramps if I think the ground might not be too level. However, when I arrive I am too lazy to get them out. Judicious parking and a bottle of wine usually resolves any levelling issues when sleeping.

Method7

While I sort of agree that being level isn’t essential.. I do struggle when space is tight and we cannot move the van to at least one level plane, this is where the chocks are worth their weight in gold. Levelling side to side or front to rear....

In fact we suffered a double puncture in Scotland and spent the night in a lay-by opposite the three sisters. Used the wedges to level up, compensating for the flat tyres.

We just have the standard width ramps and they work fine with our 19” AMG wheels. Apparently you can get wide ones.. I can’t justify this.

JEAK

Thank you. The ones I have seen are quite large. Do you have a link or something for the ones you have used (or similar).

Method7

JamesWu

Hello

We have Thule, only used twice over the last 12 months (we mostly do wild camping), it will be the first thing to ditch in the coming trips. (Trade for spaces for other toys)

JEAK

Thank you - we might just see how we go.
We are looking forward to trying our first off grid camping. How many nights do you get out of battery or is it just one night and then need to charge by long drive for next night?

JamesWu

Mine is from 2012, 80ah Gel battery, I can survive maximum for two nights one day before the battery drops to 12.1-12.2v (10-20%), that’s from a full charge. One night one day if from alternator (driving) which only tops 80% of the battery on a good day.
I now have two solar panels to stay off grid for longer.