Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to make the rear wardrobe a more usable storage space?

Roy C

I’m really not making the best use of the rear wardrobe in the MP. I don’t intend to hang any clothes from the rail and just tend to pile things in that have no more logical place to reside elsewhere but this becomes a jumble of things and I’m only using the lower third of quite a large space. There are various threads over on the VW site with discussions of how best to use the wardrobe in its existing configuration (e.g colour-coded bags / boxes) or by modifying the space by adding shelves. The latter is the approach I favour but as far as I can tell there is no official extra shelf accessory or anything in the way of after-market accessories.

Some people have opted for Ikea canvas hanging shelves in the VW Cali but I am inclined to try to build my own bespoke solution, although I will want to avoid drilling any additional holes. I am thinking of shelves running from front to back covering half of the footprint on the right hand side as you look into the wardrobe with free space on the left side. Somebody did something similar on the VW site so I am about to sit down and try to design something that my rudimentary woodworking skills might be able to achieve without it looking a complete dog’s breakfast.

However before I start down a course of action that might actually result in me losing a thumb does anyone know of anyone supplying a ready made solution for the MP rear wardrobe that I have missed? Are there any other thoughts or creative solutions already implemented by any members here?

Paul Hellawell

I have one of these original equipment shelves that Ian mentions above. I bought it before I got my van but the van arrived with one already in. Yours for £40 if you want it. I could get my friend to drop it in Knaresborough on her way back to York some time. I'm in Harrogate in my MP tomorrow if that's any good and you're interested?

Attachments

• IMG_5699.jpg
    IMG_5699.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 17

Roy C

Thanks Paul and Ian but I am looking for something that goes above where that shelf sits. If I am interpreting the image in Ian’s post correctly I already have a shelf at that level and the space above that is around 18 inches tall and widens out so another shelf of this size would not fit. I am away working in London at the moment so I am going from memory and probably not describing things very well. The image below from the VW california club site shop (of a product now discontinued) is more along the lines of what I was thinking:
upload_2019-1-8_20-32-17.jpeg

Roy C

Another image borrowed from the VW forum as a further example, although I have the shelf that is level with the kitchen worktop that I think is the one referenced by Ian and Paul :
upload_2019-1-8_20-44-57.jpeg

WILLH

I keep all the bedding-duvets,pillows,bedsheets etc in the wardrobe and they fit in nicely.