Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help Required - dealer no help at all

Alistairpurple

Morning all.

Couple of questions I would be grateful for your help on.

I’ve been trying to buy a MP for some time now (September)but my local dealer says no orders are being taken.

Is this correct? I just have little confidence in their knowledge. I’m unable to configure on main MB website.

Second question, I was looking to order a black AMG with black dash, kitchen and leather. Absolutely none of the used ones have this specification. Can this configuration be done, seems like only cream kitchen and dashboard.

Appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFT

Go to the secondhand stock list here: https://stock.mercedes-benz.co.uk/used/ - I appreciate that you want to buy new but this will help you find a dealer that is actively selling the MP model, many dealers are really not interested.
I believe the only interior colour options are for the upholstery and floor, dash and kitchen are standard.

nigelh70

Go to the secondhand stock list here: https://stock.mercedes-benz.co.uk/used/ - I appreciate that you want to buy new but this will help you find a dealer that is actively selling the MP model, many dealers are really not interested.
I believe the only interior colour options are for the upholstery and floor, dash and kitchen are standard.

Hi my name is Nigel Hudson I work at the brand centre at Brooklands Weybridge aka Mercedes Benz World we are owned by Mercedes Benz UK. We always run a MP demonstrator and are more than happy to help with all things MP. you can contact me at [email protected]

Mjlindale

hi, I was in the same position, some one then told me about the latest model "Jules Verne" i think isn't going to be through the MB dealers. the only black dash versions i could find were horizons. one piont to note the dealer that finally supplied mine had new models coming in dated for May? Hopefully Nigel can help you further.

Method7

hi, I was in the same position, some one then told me about the latest model "Jules Verne" i think isn't going to be through the MB dealers.

Please correct me if I am wrong but The “Jules Verne” 60th anniversary edition was in 2011

Method7

Hi my name is Nigel Hudson I work at the brand centre at Brooklands Weybridge aka Mercedes Benz World we are owned by Mercedes Benz UK. We always run a MP demonstrator and are more than happy to help with all things MP. you can contact me at [email protected]

Hi Nigel, I will be emailing you with questions regarding fitting the V-Class folding table and table rails to our MP Horizon. I hope you can help with this since I have tried two MB dealerships and Westfalia to no avail. (Westfalia advised that they cannot directly deal with MB customers but did confirm that the seat rails are standard MB parts).

GeorgeG

hi, I was in the same position, some one then told me about the latest model "Jules Verne" i think isn't going to be through the MB dealers. the only black dash versions i could find were horizons. one piont to note the dealer that finally supplied mine had new models coming in dated for May? Hopefully Nigel can help you further.

The Jules Verne is a Westfalia conversion of the Viano marketed through Westfalia dealers only. On the other hand, the Marco Polo is a Westfalia conversion of a V-Class MPV marketed solely through Mercedes dealers.

I first saw a Jules Verne at the Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf and have subsequently looked at the VW based Westfalia Kepler One, essentially the same layout and materials as a Jules Verne, in dealers in the UK. I was very disappointed with the quality of the JV and Kepler and in conversations with a contact I met at the Westfalia factory in Rheda- Wiedenbrück, they are regarded as an inferior product.

Rapido, the French Caravan and Motorhome manufacturer, took over Westfalia in 2011 after the German company were about to go bankrupt and they intended to move all production to France (information gleaned from my factory visit when I owned a Fiat based Westfalia camper). But, after considerable resistance from the German end, it was decided to keep all OEM conversions, including the Mercedes Marco Polo and Ford Nugget, in Rheda-Widenbrück. However, the French subsidiary of Rapido, Fleurette, where tasked with the production of the newer non-OEM models such as the Jules Verne and Kepler (although the Fiat conversions are now produced in a new German factory in Gotha.

It is worth bearing in mind that Fleurette products are definitely placed at the cheaper end of caravan and motorhomes available today, whereas Westfalia are traditionally known for very high quality products at the top end of the market. The most surprising aspect of the French produced conversions is their relatively high price when the only significant addition is a fixed toilet. Also, the JV and Kepler are based on the much more utilitarian Viano with the ‘van’ dashboard and plastic seats.

Finally, another advantage of the Marco Polo is the ability to take it to a large network of dealers for servicing and warranty work, whereas the non-OEM vehicles have to be returned to one of the very few Westfalia dealers in the UK for warranty work, etc. For me, if you want a Mercedes based camper van the choice of the Marco Polo is a ‘no brainer’.

Last edited:

Dr Crill

Hi George
I agree and endorse all that you say. Care is needed with these Westfalia conversions.

I looked carefully at a Westfalia Kepler 6. It’s LWB, utilitarian nature and internal flexibility appealed.

However, there are some serious shortcomings which immediately exposed the ‘budget’ nature of these 60-70k vans:

1. No rear speakers nor any space , wiring or option for them. This is just gobsmacking in a Westfalia conversion. The cheapest conversions in the range used to be the great value Ford Nuggets but they still had fully functional rear speaker systems.

2. No possibility of heating ducts or air conditioning for rear passengers in the Kepler six. Again, a shocking omission at the price level.

3. The fold out bed downstairs in the Kepler 6 is ‘elevated’ : hard to sit up in bed; kitchen cupboard completely inaccessible; and feels just too close to the ceiling to be really comfortable.

4. Standard pop up roof on the Kepler is lower specification with lower weight tolerance when opened. Dealers struggled to identify the weight limit when I enquired.

Conversely, as we know, by basing the MP on a luxury people mover V class, the rear passengers get treated to their own climate control, have stereo output and can adjust their seats.