Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater problem

Ian Cannon

Hi
Have my 2018 MP was told by Mercedes Dealer that it had an electrical hot air auxiliary heater fitted.It hasn’t got it.have had it in to my local Merc dealer they have tried to resolve my issue. When they had it plugged into computer it was coming up with something.we think that it was pre wired but not fitted??
My question is were would you put a aftermarket heater in the vehicle
The obvious place is under the passenger seat but there is a battery and electrical stuff there
Can anyone help with this please

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
The factory-fit diesel heater is installed below the passenger seat box so it's the right place to install one. If you search the forum, there are threads on retro-fitting. I have seen one other (on FB) which is installed in the void behind the sliding door.

Tee

Hi there

There are a lot of old posts from around 2018 on heaters as they are very confusing. I think there are 3, but the 'electric' one is the most elusive:

1. Diesel hot air auxiliary heater - this is the camper van night heater that sits under the passenger seat and is controlled off the camper van control panel on the floor. If you have it, its on the control panel and the seat base has vents in the side and rear. There are some retrofit posts on the site. Several have done it and I think it needs the addable tank to be replaced with a smaller one.

2. Diesel auxiliary hot water heater - this is part of the base V Class van and is controlled off the main heating control lone of buttons on the dash or a separate remote control or the app. If you have the picture of a fan with warm air wave arrows rising from it on the RHS set of buttons, that's the thing. It heats the coolant (hot hence hot-water) around the engine and helps on cold days to heat the engine and defrost the car. It stops after 30 or 45 minutes and can be used up to 3 times in a row.

3. Electric auxiliary heating - 2 versions both feedback on this: A: is a way of continuing to re-use already generated heat into the cab. When you switch off the engine, hitting the rest button will recirculate hot air through the cab for 30 minutes. It's buried in the climate description in the manual but only works with one of the zircon systems. I think the Termotronic, not the Tempmatic. I think the M's have a 3 zone Tempmatic system, which may explain why it's so elusive :). The other thing on the forum a while back is that when you start the engine, there's something in the dash to take the chill off the air coming into the van before the engine heats up. I've never noticed this.

We have 1 and 2 on our MP, never noticed 3, but never looked for it. Will look for in next few days.

Tee

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Hope you get sorted - FYI if you have the larger 25L AdBlue tank, you won't need to replace the tank - there's a bit more insulation & fettling needed hence it's slightly more expensive but it fits

Steve B

It's buried in the climate description in the manual but only works with one of the zircon systems. I think the Termotronic, not the Tempmatic. I think the M's have a 3 zone Tempmatic system, which may explain why it's so elusive :). The other thing on the forum a while back is that when you start the engine, there's something in the dash to take the chill off the air coming into the van before the engine heats up. I've never noticed this.
One of my reoccurring themes! I think i'm the only person with Tempmatic as Thermotronic is the standard. The tempmatic works well enough but has only one temperature controller (not left & right on the switch panel) and doesn't have the air vents in the rear. It also doesn't have the residual hot air re-circulator that uses the heat of the engine when you have left the MP.