Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone had any problems with any tyres shredding around the inside?

Peter

Peter

VIP Member
In the last 12 months we have had 2 x Michelin Cross Climate tyres shred around the inside rim, which of course is potentially lethal if the tyre blows. One was on the front axis and one on the back.

Our normal local privately owned (and excellent) tyre garage have never seen a tyre shred around the inside like that before, but now it has happened a second time today, we cannot help but wonder if it is the Marco Polo or whether it is the Michelin Cross Climate tyre. Our Marco Polo is maintained and serviced by our superb local Mercedes Dealership so it is not any sort of vehicle neglect on our part.

Please has anyone else had any problems like this?

9BAF2631-0047-439E-A41D-2EAD6FE1F116_1_105_c.jpg

Steve B

That looks horrendous, and as you say, dangerous. When I read the title I thought you meant wear on the tread at the edges, which is a bit of a pain, but nothing like this. Can't help as I've got Avons on at the moment, which are doing well.

Epigram

As you say very worrying and potentially dangerous.
I had Michelin Cross Climates on both my MP and GLC. They are a good tyre but they do have very soft side walls. If there is nothing obvious, such as rubbingmthey should be returned to the manufacturer.
Over the past three years I have replaced four Michelin Cross Climates due to inner sidewall damage from pothole courtesy of Gloucester Highways.
As background, I eventually gave up of paying several hundred pounds a pop to drive up our local lanes and “invested” in a set of 17” wheels so that I could run a higher profile tyre. I now have 2255517 101W XL Nokian Seasonproof all round. Much quieter, good grip and hopefully slightly more robust.
I did try some Ziarelli Cruise on the rear for better grip - but that’s another story and not to be recommended!

Peter

Peter

VIP Member
As you say very worrying and potentially dangerous.
I had Michelin Cross Climates on both my MP and GLC. They are a good tyre but they do have very soft side walls. If there is nothing obvious, such as rubbingmthey should be returned to the manufacturer.
Over the past three years I have replaced four Michelin Cross Climates due to inner sidewall damage from pothole courtesy of Gloucester Highways.
As background, I eventually gave up of paying several hundred pounds a pop to drive up our local lanes and “invested” in a set of 17” wheels so that I could run a higher profile tyre. I now have 2255517 101W XL Nokian Seasonproof all round. Much quieter, good grip and hopefully slightly more robust.
I did try some Ziarelli Cruise on the rear for better grip - but that’s another story and not to be recommended!
Thank you Epigram for this. Very useful indeed. Would you object to us quoting your experience to Michelin should the need arise? We will also talk to Mercedes regarding possibly changing the wheels, to be far though we've had the MP for 5 1/2 years and only ever had problems with the new Cross Climate tyres.

Epigram

Thank you Epigram for this. Very useful indeed. Would you object to us quoting your experience to Michelin should the need arise? We will also talk to Mercedes regarding possibly changing the wheels, to be far though we've had the MP for 5 1/2 years and only ever had problems with the new Cross Climate tyres.
I Hi Peter
i have no objection to you quoting the post although to be fair to Michelin my issue was damage to the insde sidewalls from the potholes on my lane which probably would have occurred with any low profile tyre. Hence the costly wheel change so that I could use a higher profile tyre to avoid the ongoing tyre damage.
My guess if nothing is rubbing is you have had a faulty batch of tyres so return the tyres for inspection.

funkyegg

Sorry to hear that Peter! I have had CC2 for about a year now and no issues so far after near 8000 miles (hope it stays that way). But mine are 18 inch wheels tho.

XEG12

I also have Cross Climates and I think the sidewalls are probably better than the OE Continentals.
I have also had both back tyres go to metal on the inside edge in 8000 miles.
It turned out the fitters who fitted the tyres after a puncture, did a geometry adjustment which was WAY out! (I did ask for geometry to be done as I knew the front was out).
6 months and 8000 miles later my local guys found Toe was off the scale and corrected it, but camber is also out and cannot be adjusted. Mercedes have an adjuster kit for some classes but not the V class

Steve B

In 2020 I tried to get an alignment check at Kwik Fit, but they didn't have the v class (any type) registered. They tried Vito but was coming up with errors, so I gave up. I've got the wear on the outside of the front tyres, but they have now done just under 20k miles so are getting close to changing, hopefully the settings are now uploaded on garages systems!

KevinIan

Also had the same problem. Kwik Fit said the alignment was fine when fitting new Continental tyres and a main dealer said the front wheels do wear on the inside. Not much help. Is it because larger wheels are fitted to the MP, mine 21”, than the platform it was designed for, the Vito

Stevie.t

In the last 12 months we have had 2 x Michelin Cross Climate tyres shred around the inside rim, which of course is potentially lethal if the tyre blows. One was on the front axis and one on the back.

Our normal local privately owned (and excellent) tyre garage have never seen a tyre shred around the inside like that before, but now it has happened a second time today, we cannot help but wonder if it is the Marco Polo or whether it is the Michelin Cross Climate tyre. Our Marco Polo is maintained and serviced by our superb local Mercedes Dealership so it is not any sort of vehicle neglect on our part.

Please has anyone else had any problems like this?

View attachment 3254

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
Peter

Peter

VIP Member
Hi Steve, your experience makes me think this is something that maybe Mercedes might be starting to become aware of as a problem. Please gives updates as they occur. Hopefully, as your problem involves a fleet of V-Class you may be able to get to the bottom of it and then we can all benefit from that knowledge going forwards.

Stevie.t

Hi Steve, your experience makes me think this is something that maybe Mercedes might be starting to become aware of as a problem. Please gives updates as they occur. Hopefully, as your problem involves a fleet of V-Class you may be able to get to the bottom of it and then we can all benefit from that knowledge going forwards.
Hi Peter, I will be pursuing this till the end. I believe the tyre combination is part of the problem. Someone suggested we should be running van tyres on steel wheels. This doesn’t look great, but I want to arrive safely. I’ll keep feeding updates when they happen.

Ampj8

Hi all, May I ask if those tires are Mercedes-certified? usually these have an MO-V which are tires that are suitable for your model and checked by Mercedes.