Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

*** Fridge

Tobo

Hoping for some urgent fridge advice please !

It seems my Marco Polo has a fridge thermostat failure as only temperature is freezing regardless of the setting on the control panel.

Just had it in to Mercedes Cheshire Oaks for Service A ( what a rip off as charged for windscreen wash and Ad-blue which I do myself, don’t need a £60 per hour technician to do that) and fridge diagnosis.

Mercedes Cheshire Oaks have no idea about Marco Polo and the overall experience was atrocious.

So can anyone advise on the following please:

1) What is involved in thermostat replacement (M Ch Oaks reckon complete kitchen strip down)
2) Any recommendation for a Marco Polo dealer that know what they are doing

Thanks all.

Andrew6586

Hi,
Did you manage to fix your problems?
My fridge has just failed (will only freeze at max)and I believe it is the sensor, I have taken the panel off and found the sensor which appears to be a simple repair.
It certainly isn't a complete strip down if that's all it is! I need to find the part number for the sensor and get one ordered, did Mercedes give you a part number?
Having had years of experience of boats Im finding out that camper van repairs can be equally challenging and expensive with big brand suppliers albeit the actual repair can be simple once you can find out the source of the problem and DIY.

Regards
Andrew

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Hi,
Did you manage to fix your problems?
My fridge has just failed (will only freeze at max)and I believe it is the sensor, I have taken the panel off and found the sensor which appears to be a simple repair.
It certainly isn't a complete strip down if that's all it is! I need to find the part number for the sensor and get one ordered, did Mercedes give you a part number?
Having had years of experience of boats Im finding out that camper van repairs can be equally challenging and expensive with big brand suppliers albeit the actual repair can be simple once you can find out the source of the problem and DIY.

Regards
Andrew
Hi Andrew - could you post up a description & photo or 2 on how to remove the panel (I assume that it's the front panel) - I have a suspicion that this could be a common repair.

In terms of part number - I use realoem which has a version of the Merc EPC. If you select V-class and model (w477.813) - there is a section on the Westfalia Camper parts which includes the Fridge/Cooler Box Looks like the sensor is A 44 790 561 02

Might be worth seeing if Dometic list the fridge sensor (assuming that there's a Dometic data plate visible) - might avoid the MercTax....

Hope that helps
Mike

Last edited:

Andrew6586

Hi,
Panel removal under the fridge was simple. I moved the rear seats as far forward as they would move then the panel under the fridge is accessible from the rear of the vehicle. Remove the fuse panel cover and unscrew the power cord fixing which ch powers the seats.
As you look at the panel you should see a top and bottom lever fixing (on the left side) once these are undone the panel opens up from the left side as it is fixed in behind two tabs on the right side. Lift it off. The temp sensor on mine is to the right of the compressor which is on the far right side lower (mine is stamped SECOP). It is a bundled white plastic wire with a plug into the compressor. The other end (sensor) can be seen inside the fridge on its inner side in a recess. I guess that this sensor possibly levers out and then plug unplugs. Once I get a new one I will try it out.

Andrew

Tobo

Hi, my MB Marco Polo has been with the dealer for 3 months now and they say they are still waiting for the Temperature Sensor.
It is not at all satisfactory as approaching the season to use it plus it has been missed for days out with the dogs.
Originally it was booked in for 3 days and I did vent my concerns about their competence and service back then.
I think they mistakenly ordered the temperature selector and not the sensor, I told them the symptoms which pointed to the sensor.
The van has laid idle in their car park for 3 months instead of on my drive on charge so will need a new leisure battery - let's see how that goes !
So I'm interested in finding the part elsewhere and DIY fitting or finding an independent Motor Home dealer to do it.
MB should not be selling Marco Polos in the UK without dealer knowledge and a total lack of support, should have bought a VW.

Andrew6586

Hi,
Mercedes Benz at Swindon say they can order me one from Westfalia but no delivery time until they place an order. I have e-mailed Westfalia direct to ask whose fridge it is and how much for the part etc and part number. On Monday I will be on to Dometic and Waeco etc to hassle them. I'm sure this is a cheap fix. NB. last winter I fixed a bow thruster on a yacht which was told would cost £1400, after som enquiries I managed to do it by replacing the failed part with an identical one from China for £3.49 plus £1.70 delivery and an hour of my hands on time.
I really don't mind paying for skilled labour and expensive parts but I do mind being taken advantage of when a jobs a simple fix.

Andrew

Andrew6586

I guess you'd have the same issue no matter which brand you bought. Both Mercedes and VW do what they do well but neither of them do fridges. It was the same with things on boats with fridges and other things on them but once you know who makes the accessories and whose component they use to build them a great deal is in the control of the ordinary man and woman including the price.
Andrew

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Quite Agree Andrew - I maintain most of my fleet myself with very few problems over parts or information (apart from the MP...)

If MB are struggling to get the part, perhaps they ought to look at MB's own parts website.... TEMP. SENSOR | Mercedes-Benz Online Shop which indicates that it can be ordered and available in a few days. Whether you could get them to ship to the UK is another matter....but not insurmountable.

1508ian

How did you get on replacing the sensor? My MP fridge has gone the same way - maximum cooling on the lowest setting. Seems to be a very common failing. Did the dealer fix it or did you manage to do it yourself? Were you able to locate the sensor part?

Andrew6586

How did you get on replacing the sensor? My MP fridge has gone the same way - maximum cooling on the lowest setting. Seems to be a very common failing. Did the dealer fix it or did you manage to do it yourself? Were you able to locate the sensor part?
Repaired myself, new sensor from Germany I’ve put photos and steps elsewhere on this forum. Quite easy took about an hour

Raul

Hello everyone! I can not order a shower and a basket in the refrigerator for my car. In the class of Marco Polo.
Tried at the dealer, but they are also silent. also wrote directly to no answer for a week.

Westfalen Mobil GmbH Franz-Knöbel-Straße 34 D-33378 Rheda-Wiedenbrück Fon +49 (0) 52 42 / 15-0

Can you tell me where I can buy?
Thanks a lot!

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Hello everyone! I can not order a shower and a basket in the refrigerator for my car. In the class of Marco Polo.
Tried at the dealer, but they are also silent. also wrote directly to no answer for a week.

Westfalen Mobil GmbH Franz-Knöbel-Straße 34 D-33378 Rheda-Wiedenbrück Fon +49 (0) 52 42 / 15-0

Can you tell me where I can buy?
Thanks a lot!
If you are within the EU (Latvia?), have a look at marcopolo-mylife.com - the fridge baskets look to be in stock Marcopolo-mylife.com as is the Shower .