Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine oil level reading

Z

zsjf90

VIP Member
Hi all, this is my first discussion post so apologise for ignorance or errors. We have a beautiful 2019 Marco Polo in blue but recently have had problems with the engine oil level reading on the dashboard. Originally it showed minimum level but just still in the green. I asked the MB dealer to check this whilst it was in for the 'fridge too cold' issue and they apparently added oil to fix the level. I got the van home and checked level again and this time the the read out was requesting a litre of oil to be added and was below minimum level. A litre was added, as per manual, but reading is still the same. I guess my question is, are there known issues with this system and is there anything I can do to prove the actual oil level, short of another 100 mile round trip back to the dealership? What was wrong with the good old dipstick!

Grand Tourismo

Hi all, this is my first discussion post so apologise for ignorance or errors. We have a beautiful 2019 Marco Polo in blue but recently have had problems with the engine oil level reading on the dashboard. Originally it showed minimum level but just still in the green. I asked the MB dealer to check this whilst it was in for the 'fridge too cold' issue and they apparently added oil to fix the level. I got the van home and checked level again and this time the the read out was requesting a litre of oil to be added and was below minimum level. A litre was added, as per manual, but reading is still the same. I guess my question is, are there known issues with this system and is there anything I can do to prove the actual oil level, short of another 100 mile round trip back to the dealership? What was wrong with the good old dipstick!
Welcome along, good to have you on board. Forgive my ignorance zsjf90 but has the dipstick really been deleted from the engine bay, have you had a look for it?
I have a 2017 and it is present and correct in my iteration.

Grand Tourismo

Oh OK, I looked in the online guide for your year model and they add this image of the engine layout in the oil measurement section.
However the image in the guide looks nothing like the layout in your MP! Even the latest 2021 > guide shows the below engine bay layout.

Truly stumped. Does it explain anything in your owners manual or is it the same story as the guide? Also can I ask what the black sticker on the front plastic valance explains?

Engine Oil Dipstick.jpg

pumpsmynads

The black sticker just says to use correct oil and don’t overfill.
My owner’s manual does now have separate sections for engines with or without dipsticks. 617901D7-D255-4D11-9AE5-115C1AB15BB1.jpeg19094282-D748-4CEC-A793-1C8680A58DFB.jpeg

Grand Tourismo

Not sure how we can assist the OP then, no dipstick means following the instructions in the manual and trusting the onboard computer 100%.

And all my dad jokes about there being more than one dipstick in the car will have to be re-written!

Z

zsjf90

VIP Member
Thanks everyone, I have followed the manual but am still uncertain that the electronics are reading correctly. I think that the only option is to revisit the MB dealer and get it all checked out, and hope they they are honest about their findings!

fraser

it is really pernickety - you have to have it perfectly level and up to temperature to set the level. I had several goes at it.