Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

driveaway awning advice

whiley65

hi, i have just bought a marco polo and haven't been away in it yet .can anyone recommend a driveaway awning please

H & J

We have the Vango Kela 4 a great awning also a good buy, you can save around £150 from the Kela 5 price.

Weve got the Vango galli here. Can vouch for the quality of their kit and the air beam + electric pump makes putting it up really simple. Still takes a while thou...

The galli is massive so ideal for our needs (2 adults and 2 kids) when we go on longer holidays but quite a size and heavy when rolled up so sometimes too much of a faff for shorter trips.

Search around for sale items as we saved a lot when buying ours.

Graham

I bought the Vango Palm Low air awning. It's small compared to a lot of awnings, but it's absolutely ideal for the 2 of us. After a couple of initial trips away without an awning, we realised the benefit of an awning as an overspill for 'stuff' rather than a living area and make for an easy get away if we are driving around during the day. I also bought a Really Useful 84 litre box which takes the duvet and pillows perfectly. So, in the morning, we pack away the bedding, leave the (washed) dishes draining in the basin anything else that is a nuisance to pack away and that we won't need during the day, and head of on another adventure.

Although I've yet to use it, I'm also experimenting with my own 'foldaway' as opposed to wind out awning. I chose not to get one with the van, but I get that it could be useful, so I did a bit of internet surfing and found you can buy a 6mm double flap keder strip, bought a waterproof tarp and sewn them together. The idea is that the awning slots into the rail on the van and is supported by 2 awning poles, either at the opposite end, or even half way, providing a bit of shelter. Time will tell....

askho

I bought the Vango Palm Low air awning. It's small compared to a lot of awnings, but it's absolutely ideal for the 2 of us. After a couple of initial trips away without an awning, we realised the benefit of an awning as an overspill for 'stuff' rather than a living area and make for an easy get away if we are driving around during the day. I also bought a Really Useful 84 litre box which takes the duvet and pillows perfectly. So, in the morning, we pack away the bedding, leave the (washed) dishes draining in the basin anything else that is a nuisance to pack away and that we won't need during the day, and head of on another adventure.

Although I've yet to use it, I'm also experimenting with my own 'foldaway' as opposed to wind out awning. I chose not to get one with the van, but I get that it could be useful, so I did a bit of internet surfing and found you can buy a 6mm double flap keder strip, bought a waterproof tarp and sewn them together. The idea is that the awning slots into the rail on the van and is supported by 2 awning poles, either at the opposite end, or even half way, providing a bit of shelter. Time will tell....
Hi Graham. Interested in your "self made" awning. Any chance of some photos when you finish doing it and in situ

Graham

Will do. Heading off on holiday tomorrow for two weeks, but the MP will remain parked outside the house :(. Will get that sorted when I'm back.

In the meantime, if you Google this - Awning Piping 6mm Black Double Flap Solid Core Camping/Tent Keder (web page too long!) and this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KJVLMBT/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item - then you'll get the idea.

A lot of awnings are 3m, which is too big. They seem to suggest they have a 240cm, but I could only get the 210cm. Still, at least it more than covers the side door and I reckon it will mean we can be sheltered if we don't have the drive away up.

SteveR

Good links thank you @Graham - I'm thinking similar in terms of adding a tarp (via Keter) to the wind out awning for a windbreak / sunshade / privacy screen....

whiley65

Weve got the Vango galli here. Can vouch for the quality of their kit and the air beam + electric pump makes putting it up really simple. Still takes a while thou...

The galli is massive so ideal for our needs (2 adults and 2 kids) when we go on longer holidays but quite a size and heavy when rolled up so sometimes too much of a faff for shorter trips.

Search around for sale items as we saved a lot when buying ours.
Thanks

whiley65

Will do. Heading off on holiday tomorrow for two weeks, but the MP will remain parked outside the house :(. Will get that sorted when I'm back.

In the meantime, if you Google this - Awning Piping 6mm Black Double Flap Solid Core Camping/Tent Keder (web page too long!) and this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KJVLMBT/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item - then you'll get the idea.

A lot of awnings are 3m, which is too big. They seem to suggest they have a 240cm, but I could only get the 210cm. Still, at least it more than covers the side door and I reckon it will mean we can be sheltered if we don't have the drive away up.
Thanks will have a look