Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dogs in a Marco Polo

Judezx

We are all ready to pull the trigger on purchasing an MP. Never owned a camper before.

We have a dog and it’s been uncharacteristicly hot. Although we expect our pooch to accompany us pretty much anywhere we go, should we wish to do something which means he can’t, what are the options, if any, to keep the van cool when we are not in it, especially if the van isn’t on a site with hook ups? Is it possible to put a/c when you are not present in the van?

Katie

I would not leave my dog alone in the van at all. Even if you could get air conditioning to run away from hook up it could breakdown and the dog would be dead within minutes, not hours.

We booked to go through the tunnel to France this year so we could take our dog but ended up putting him in kennels as we felt it might restrict us all in the weather we’ve been having this summer. The cost of his kennel fees far exceeded the cost per person of our camp site fees. To make matters worse, he said he would not be going to that hotel again as they kept turning the hose on him and fellow guests, supposedly to keep them cool. (Whippets hate getting wet).

Judezx

Thanks for your reply!!

That’s quite an off putting and grim scenario! Am a total newbie to camper ownership, so didn’t realise the leisure battery might be unreliable. I wasn’t thinking about taking him on an abroad holiday. He’d definitely go to a boarder for that. He’s a black, hairy cockapoo and the heat has been really getting to him, so would be awful abroad. It’s been a challenge over here lately!

I was just thinking about weekends away if we went cycling but have since looked into dog baskets which can go on bikes, so he should be ok. He’s not 2 yet and last summer was nothing like this one. There were never days when I couldn’t walk him at any time, due to boiling hot pavements, etc. I’m just trying to plan ahead practically and safely and if we can’t do some activities as it means he would be at risk, then we wouldn’t do them! Or I wouldn’t, the rest of the family will be probably wave me bye!

So do the Marco Polos get as hot inside as regular cars then? I read that some campers stay coolish due to insulation but i’m not sure if that is the auto sleeper kind.

Katie

Sorry - I didn’t mean to alarm or criticise you
The mp does get very hot inside though- camper vans are not insulated like motor homes but I’m sure you’ll find the best way to deal with things yourself. Our dog loves the van as much as we do and I’m sure yours will as well

Judezx

Ah! You didn’t. I asked the same question on another forum and was immediately flamed for considering leaving the dog on his own. I brought that baggage with me! Sorry if i sounded defensive.

Good to know about the MP getting hot though.

Looking forward to getting it! Exciting times!