Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the Horizon have an undertray on both sides ?

Defender1

Hi, weird question here.....!

I put my Horizon in for a removable towbar installation and it came back with some issues, which are being addressed. I am convinced that there is an undertray missing on the right hand side of the vehicle which runs from the front wheel arch (just at the jacking point) to about half way along the side of the van. It's quite narrow but I am sure I noticed it before when I took the wheels off to fit the mud flaps. There is an undertray on the left hand side of the vehicle which is larger, and the underside of the right at the chassis rails looks suspiciously clean to my eyes and the fitter is saying that they didn't remember removing one.

Mercedes dealer at present not answering phone to get them to check!

Can anyone confirm that there should be a plastic undertray on the RHS also or am I just imagining it?

Many thanks in advance!

Epigram

I had a look underneath a few weeks ago and had the impression that an undertray was missing there. I noticed there were some thin tubes (?) hanging down and I couldn’t work out what they were for but felt they should be protected.
I have been waiting for the weather to improve so that I could take a photo to ask a similar question.

Defender1

I had a look underneath a few weeks ago and had the impression that an undertray was missing there. I noticed there were some thin tubes (?) hanging down and I couldn’t work out what they were for but felt they should be protected.
I have been waiting for the weather to improve so that I could take a photo to ask a similar question.
Thanks, I've seen the drainage tubes and thought that they were either something to do with the air conditioning or the night heater. Short of driving around (not really in the spirit of lockdown!) looking for another MP Horizon so that I can crawl underneath for a look, I am a bit stuck! I emailed the dealer and hopefully will hear from them today. Quite possibly there is nothing there and it is only on one side.

Epigram

I have just braved the rain to take a couple of photos under my Marco Polo (2019)
The tubes are on the opposite side to heater and I suspect are associated with the auxiliary battery under the drivers seat - UK RHD.
There are also connectors and cabling attached to underbody that are exposed and could be vulnerable to stone damage if driving over rough roads.
I wonder whether Westfalia take the cover plate off during their conversion.
If the exposed connectors are a final arrangement it does not bode well for reliability and durability.
Perhaps others would look to see if it is the norm.
Either way it might be worth taking up with the dealer.

Attachments

• FB769331-C00A-45AA-884C-7442B2C4B914.jpeg
    FB769331-C00A-45AA-884C-7442B2C4B914.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 8F763AA3-5BD4-49FD-91AB-2C9AEEFE8AD9.jpeg
    8F763AA3-5BD4-49FD-91AB-2C9AEEFE8AD9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Defender1

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. Same as mine then and the only thing that the towbar fitter was accurate about!
ps-great pictures of your European trip. V inspiring although as in Scotland we have just gone back into lockdown it might be next year before we try to emulate you!

Epigram

I have just e-mailed my local dealer about another problem so have asked whether V Class have an undertray in this area.

Thanks for the comment about the photos. At least we managed to get away. I feel very sorry for people who have been less fortunate and unable to escape this year..
We were planning to be in Scotland atm, having agreed to catch up with friends after the mossies packed up for the summer.
Fed up with isolation, lockdown, DIY and wind and rain and looking for inspiration for next year’s travels, I have been following the blogs some van-lifers on You Tube.
LEAW (Leave everything and wander) is worth a look. They have been wandering around Italy until lockdown. The lifestyle is not everyone’s cup of tea but the drone footage is stunning. You can but dream!
PS Don‘t watch if you are hungry!