Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dipping Tailgate

Mpolomedic

Hi all

The tailgate on our MP opens OK, but sometimes dips down by about 15 degrees. Was wondering if anyone experienced similar and had fixed?

We have the MB Tailgate bike rack but have never opened it with bikes on, obvs.

MB replaced struts a year or so ago but it still happens. At the time they queried next step may be to replace the lift motor.

Any help appreciated

T.
I have read through most of this chain but think it's best to answer the original post.

Short answer is there is no fault with your tailgate struts and replacement will not solve this issue. In the technical information for the bike rack it states that the lift struts of the tail gate are not rated for the extra load of the bike rack and a prop is recommended to secure the tailgate from dropping, there is a position in the tailgate trim on the right about 1/3 of the way up for this prop to locate into. I don't have the document to hand but I will endeavour to find it for you. As far as I'm aware MB do not do up rated struts.
Hope this helps

Method7

I have read through most of this chain but think it's best to answer the original post.

Short answer is there is no fault with your tailgate struts and replacement will not solve this issue. In the technical information for the bike rack it states that the lift struts of the tail gate are not rated for the extra load of the bike rack and a prop is recommended to secure the tailgate from dropping, there is a position in the tailgate trim on the right about 1/3 of the way up for this prop to locate into. I don't have the document to hand but I will endeavour to find it for you. As far as I'm aware MB do not do up rated struts.
Hope this helps
Ohh that’s interesting and wile reading this I realised that not all MPs or Vito s have the easy pack tailgate so it is possibly not at all a motor issue. It does however seem odd that they provide a Heath Robinson solution rather than up rated struts as part of the bike rack install.

James G

I'm looking at the MB tailgate bike rack instructions now and the exact wording is "the mechanism for holding the tailgate open is not designed for the additional load of a laden rear-mounted bicycle rack." it doesn't say that its not designed for the load of an empty bike rack. My instructions are from 2015 so perhaps its been updated since then

Mpolomedic

I'm looking at the MB tailgate bike rack instructions now and the exact wording is "the mechanism for holding the tailgate open is not designed for the additional load of a laden rear-mounted bicycle rack." it doesn't say that its not designed for the load of an empty bike rack. My instructions are from 2015 so perhaps its been updated since then
The line before that states "the bikes must be removed and the tailgate must be propped to prevent closing"

Attachments

• 20210518_153211.jpg
    20210518_153211.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 8

Tee

Hi Mpolomedic

where did you get the doc/info from as I can’t find that in my instructions or online. Also struggling to find any reference to a prop online and been feeling around the trim to find a slot without luck (though not sure what I’m looking for and will look again tomorrow!)

thanks. T.

Zarbie

@Tee Ok we have been told its fixed. They have ended up using police strutts. The part number is MA4479800364/64.

And they look like this attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210520-164903.jpg
    Screenshot_20210520-164903.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Zarbie

@Mpolomedic yes thats correct, a laden bike rack is a bike rack with no bikes on it. The motor tailgate should raise this with no bikes on and conforms to the instructions listed here

Page 9 install instructions 03F022-15_Heckfahrradträger_book.fm (mercedes-benz-serviceshop.de)

Rear-mounted bicycle rack, on tailgate - Mercedes-Benz Neu-Ulm (mercedes-benz-serviceshop.de)

However the strutts are certainly at fault and appears to now work correctly with the new part number. Only took Mercedes 6 months to address, and because its not a listed part for the Marco Polo they only came across it by chance. None the less resolved with the strutts
1621528333534.png

Tee

Hi Zarbie

i would interpret ‘unladen’ to mean ‘no bikes on the rack’ and not that the Tailgate can’t take the weight of an empty rack - not sure if that’s what you meant or if we interpret differently

as a general point, a manufacturer should not be able to supply a part that creates a danger/trap hazard. This is an MB part, supplied by MB (as part of the vehicle purchase) and installed by them. All sites, garages, employees and literature say it’s ok to fit. When it was fitted it did not dip so I think there is an issue they need to solve properly.

very pleased that MB advise the revised struts will fix it - let me know how they perform.

I’m a little cautious though. The struts you have are 1060nm normal struts which I believe are normally for non electric tailgates. The originals are quite complex Stabilus Hydro-Lifts with an external spring and a lock to hold open since they are only 540nm. This benefits in high /low temps and I think the strains on motors (that last point is a guess).

See here for the the differences: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts...ass/v-class-w447/141189-eqv-300-447813-447815

also the video on the 1060nm struts you have had them fitted the other way to yours on a Vito. Which I’d tend to agree with the junction/seal being at the bottom when closed

I don’t want to appear negative, but I wanted to share thoughts and also get this written in case you, me or anyone else needs to refer back to this in the future.

T

Zarbie

@Tee no we are totally aligned with the definition on unladen. That tailgate should totally take the weight of the empty bike rack, and if it can't I am stunned by MB. And thats exactly what I am arguing about. Its unsafe, its trapped my kids, and it was originally working and then started to cause a problem with the tailgate not opening , and with the upgraded strutts dipping. All in all a massive pain, which MB have had for 6 months and didnt address.

That's super interesting on the strutts, to be honest they have just totally guessed this, no logic or reason, more that they just realised that the strutts existed and wanted to give them a try , and all of a sudden they have worked and holding things stable. Interesting on the motor strain, i may raise that in writing to them to ensure thats logged as a concern should the motor start to cause a fault, however they have also just changed the motor as they couldnt figure it out.

I am going to collect the Van back tomorrow for some initial tests, they need to take it back again in early June as i have some roof alignment issues since the blister roof replacement issues took place.

All in all a huge saga! :(