Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashcam experience

Marc o Polo

Anybody any thoughts on simple effective dashcam (s) for front and rear?

I have been repeatedly coming back to this question and rely now on your thoughts to sway decision. I will be fitting (if that's what you call it) the dashcam myself. I think there is more to be said for having a dashcam than against the idea. That said I know a superintendent who will not have one in his camper - I know he is "frugal", but he does have all sorts of other gadgets - and when asked why says "no comment!" .

Method7

I fitted a thinkware F770, it’s a permanent fixture stuck to the screen just behind the rear view mirror.. it also has a rear camera but I’ve not got round to installing it since I want to run the cable through the channel under the door steps and into the rear..

I like it, it has several safety features, warnings of lane deviation and collision alerts if you get too close to a vehicle in front. It also warns of speed cameras and mobile camera zones and reminds you of the speed limit.
It also records (stills) whilst parked and tells you if the vehicle has been nudged when you turn on the ignition. It also has adjustable battery protection and the app is really good.
A bit of a fiddle to fit with live and ignition power required and tucking the wiring away isn’t easy but it fits well and is very tidy - looks OEM if you take your time..

It’s out of view, and very discreet, a little chatty sometimes but is all configurable so you can select what info you want. It’s probably saved me from a few sweaty moments since we installed it. Well worth the investment and time to install. Warrantee is up on the car this month so I might fit the rear camera soon.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I had to have a word with my neighbour about disabling his dash cam. His car is parked on his drive facing down the road, when walking back from the club at night the red LED would start flashing as I walked past, it had sensed moment and was recording me outside the boundary of his property.

I reckoned that there was a possibility that the general data protection regulation (GDPR) and the data protection Act would apply, which it would if he was monitoring his property with CCTV, not so sure about dash cams but I didn't really like myself being recored walking home late after a few beers.

Method7

I had to have a word with my neighbour about disabling his dash cam. His car is parked on his drive facing down the road, when walking back from the club at night the red LED would start flashing as I walked past, it had sensed moment and was recording me outside the boundary of his property.

I reckoned that there was a possibility that the general data protection regulation (GDPR) and the data protection Act would apply, which it would if he was monitoring his property with CCTV, not so sure about dash cams but I didn't really like myself being recored walking home late after a few beers.
The problem is that you are being recorded all the time anyway all the cars that drive past you in the street, many are recording, security cameras in numerous locations. CCTV and kids on their phones recording each other, taking selfie’s and posting them up on whatever anti social media is trendy in that 5min.

I have mine set to silent, the options allow you to have a number of LED configs even the night rider one but I have it off for just that reason.

In my case, the files are automatically deleted to make room for the next scene so nothing is stored unless it’s tagged, tagged files can only be manually deleted so if your stuck on my memory card you have set off the tamper sensors and the system has tagged the incident. Pot holes sometimes do it - good for reporting to the council.

I get your point SBD but I think making a GDPR data request to your neighbour is madness, since it could be your car that gets stolen or has the cat stolen and he’s going to tell you where to go when you ask him for last nights footage.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
No GDPR data request just told him I didn't appreciate seeing a red LED flashing at me in the middle of the night signifying I was being recorded by his dash cam, it was very unsettling. I think I was quite within my rights to do so.

If it were a CCTV monitoring his premises and capturing images outside his boundaries, like neighbours homes or gardens, public footpaths or the street then he would have to ensure his use of CCTV complies with those laws.

I've experienced the resulting comments on social media of photos of me, anyone points a mobile at me now gets short thrift:mad:

It's really sad because in a past life I was a photographer, I still enjoy the hobby but stopped taking my camera out in the street a long time ago because of the looks I was starting to get.

Marc o Polo

Thanks for the replies, I really feel I need one so will look at Thinkware F770 Method 7 recommends, many thanks..

Grand Tourismo

Interesting to hear both sides of the GDPR argument, I fall into the "not bothered" camp on this....erring to the side of "the more data available, the more protected we are".
SBD - you could drop the "socials" and let the haters hate someone else. They are just lonely and needy individuals that feel "protected" by the fact there is a keyboard between you and them...I doubt they would say the same things to your face.

Steve B

I'm generally in favour of CCTV, we have them at home and they are professionally installed and maintained. To preserve privacy we have any areas that hit a neighbours property pixilated out, and have a certificate to show this, plus signage on the perimeter. I'm not a social media fan, very limited usage for me. I remember a case a while ago where someone (a celeb i think) was being horribly trolled and foul/obscene language used, it turned it to be a well to do woman from a leafy village! Bet she wouldn't have done that face to face

Marc o Polo

Reminds me of an episode about a female vicar from Alfie Moore's recent "It's a Fair Cop" BBC Radio 4 series. The final episode of his experiences as a police officer in Scunthorpe is on today (Friday) 11.30 a.m. Highly recommended - he cracks me up, for 30 mins light relief.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
SBD - you could drop the "socials" and let the haters hate someone else. They are just lonely and needy individuals that feel "protected" by the fact there is a keyboard between you and them...I doubt they would say the same things to your face.

No 'socials' to drop here, only just been persuaded to use whatsapp :)

Unfortunately I have a wife and friends who seem to want to tell/hear what they/everyone is doing all the time.

I love it best when I'm out in the countryside walking just me and the dog, trouble is when I get back my neighbours know exactly where I've been:D

Steve B

I agree SBD on the bit about telling everyone what they are doing, but whatsapp is a closed loop (currently that is) unless someone forwards the post to another person/group. I don't like facebook as you have no idea who sees it as its designed to spread data for advertising and gaining your profile for selling on.