Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cream tea in Devon, the best place in town!

Grand Tourismo

We are away in Devon in the MP and stopped today for an afternoon cream tea....I know shock horror, jam on the scone first AND using squirty cream!!
In order to keep safely distanced we went to the best tea room in town.

Just astounded how good the MP is on these narrow and fairly steep and twisting roads. It is not uncommon to meet a vehicle head on in the road when climbing up a 20% hill but the V220 takes it easily all in it's stride.
47mpg for the journey down fully loaded, pure luxury driving experience and a nice high driving position to be able to see the spectacular coastal views over the hedgerows.IMG_7546.jpg

Just wished I had topped up the Adblue before I set off...the warning came on (on day 2) because I have over half a tank to go (and probably over 1000 miles) and now the van keeps chiming at me whenever I am near it!! Lesson learned.o_O

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Good job you were in the best tea room in town, you wouldn't want the locals down here seeing scones like that, they'd be chasing you away with pitch forks :mad:

Method7

Ha, we do quite a lot of cream teas and being a Cornishman I am quite well qualified on the subject. Oddly some years ago whilst in Dorset after a visit to Jim’s (Morrison’s) we came out with all the necessary components for a cream tea. Naturally I reached for Rodda’s clotted cream but next to it was clotted cream from Langage Farm, we got both and decided to do a comparison.

To my surprise and absolute disbelief Langage Farm’s cream was much better, it was creamier and sweeter than Rodda’s which had a beefy, dripping like taste and texture.

I demanded a rematch but cream teas since have all been Langage Farm.

Grand Tourismo

I am guessing from the response from SBD that he is a SW resident, Method7 clearly is from Cornwall....so the burning question - cream or jam on the scone first? I never want to be described as divisive but these questions need to be answered!

Personally I put jam on first because putting cream on means that the scones are then "greased" and the jam won't spread properly on top!

Anyone got any other MP food related posts?
What jaw dropping meals have you served in your MP or where have you eaten grub in jaw dropping locations?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Yes I live in NW Devon, just a little to close to the Tamar and Bude for my liking.:D

Definitely a thick spread of cream first and a dollop of jam on top for me.

SteveR

Enjoy your break GT.
We had two glorious weeks in Devon (around Salcombe) last year in between lockdowns and may go back this year. You're spot on regarding roads and driving the MP.
Oh... and not from the SW but definitely cream first for me :)

Method7

I think we all know when visiting a foreign land you would be wise to follow the lead of those who know the ropes.. “when in Rome” and all that. As with any cuisine the important thing to remember is to source the best quality local ingredients..

Apparently clotted cream is illegal in Canada due to the fact that it’s made with unpasteurised milk. So I’m guessing @Grand Tourismo had a Canadian cream tea in the style of Devon which to be fair seems perfectly acceptable when the Devonian method and Canadian law is clearly a abomination..

As for good eats in the MP, when in costal areas we always head for seafood.. Oysters or mussels are quick and easy treats that somehow enhance the location with minimal prep and washing up. langoustines on the west coast of Scotland washed down with a salty and oily single malt.. and Haggis fritters! Yep deep fried Scotland once again but oh boy what a revelation.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Park in the Victory carpark Mersea Island, stroll round the the Company Shed for THE best fresh seafood, eat in or cook back in the van.

Pub not brilliant but at least they let you camp overnight in the car park.

SteveR

....As for good eats in the MP, when in costal areas we always head for seafood.. Oysters or mussels are quick and easy treats that somehow enhance the location with minimal prep and washing up. langoustines on the west coast of Scotland washed down with a salty and oily single malt.. and Haggis fritters! Yep deep fried Scotland once again but oh boy what a revelation....
Does Cod n Chips on Brighton beach count? :D

Method7

Does Cod n Chips on Brighton beach count? :D
Without doubt...

Back when going out was normal we would go to gigs at the Cheese & Grain in Frome, its situated in a very tidy council car park, we stayed over, cracked open some fizz and continued the party with a pizza from the local Kebab house (it was my birthday after all).

The Cheese & Grain is a great venue and if your traveling a little distance and overnighting it’s worth getting there a little early and finding a quiet corner to tuck away.

We often use out of town shopping car parks for this, pull-up late get some food from one of the numerous outlets and crash out on the bottom bunk. We have yet to do it with the top up but in pretty confident no one will notice or care.

Last edited:

Method7

Just came back from visiting my mum and brother in sunny Cornwall, both conclude that a Cornish cream tea is made with a split, a sweet enriched bread roll... never scones...

Grand Tourismo

Just came back from visiting my mum and brother in sunny Cornwall, both conclude that a Cornish cream tea is made with a split, a sweet enriched bread roll... never scones...
Now that's interesting Method, have we all been doing it wrong?!?!

I was shamed into getting some Rodda's clotted cream after my "squirtygate" faux pas...I dare not publish which order I assembled the scone...I mean bread roll...I mean split....on balance I think I might have to close the thread down before we have a full division and require a referendum to decide!

Method7

You can’t do that lol - I’m sure this is why you started it. I told my mum I made pasties for the family recently and showed her a picture, she said “those are Devon pasties with the crimp is over the top”... I replied “that’s how you make them!” And she said “yes, but I only do that because your gran did it”. ‍♀️

Grand Tourismo

You can’t do that lol - I’m sure this is why you started it. I told my mum I made pasties for the family recently and showed her a picture, she said “those are Devon pasties with the crimp is over the top”... I replied “that’s how you make them!” And she said “yes, but I only do that because your gran did it”. ‍♀️
Sweeet! - now my stomach is rumbling for a proper Cornish pasty....and I am supposed to be a veggie!

We don't have any county specific foodstuff here in Northamptonshire, but I live very close to the Bedfordshire border, which is where they have.... The Clanger!!
Bedfordshire_clanger

A suet based savoury rolly polly case containing all the main food groups in one heart attack of a meal!!

Method7

The original steamed suet one sounds great but rather flawed as a agricultural snack.. later versions must have had external influences.. especially the pastry one. I don’t see why fruit couldn't have been used, it seems like the perfect filling when in season. At least they aren’t calling it a pasty, here in Wiltshire they sell “pasties” but the filling is like baby food, totally disgusting..

Grand Tourismo

My true weakness to meat filling pies/pasties/rolls is a genuine hot water crust scotch pie (I know a butchers in Edinburgh that makes the best I have ever tasted, by at least 100 miles better at that!) - a bridie is a decent second place contender.

Just in case anyone is in or near Edinburgh and wants to challenge my selection, head to John Baines just off the Gorgie Road.

Last edited:
Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
My true weakness to meat filling pies/pasties/rolls is a genuine hot water crust scotch pie (I know a butchers in Edinburgh that makes the best I have ever tasted, by at least 100 miles better at that!) - a bridie is a decent second place contender.

Just in case anyone is in or near Edinburgh and wants to challenge my selection, head to John Baines just off the Gorgie Road.

Once drinking in pub in Edinburgh, don't recall the name but the beer was Punk IPA, I fancied a bite to eat and asked what they had, meat pie was the reply, anything else, meat pie with gravy, meat pie with peas :) Went well with the Punk.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
They had limited choice but it was a 1st rate pie

Interestingly most of the beers were dispensed by compressed air, the traditional way inScotland