Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Closing roof - normal to beep?

J

j200george

VIP Member
I was camped up for a few days in the lakes. Lovely time. The site provided an electric hook up so I was happy that I’d have no issues with the leisure battery running the fridge and knew that the power would be sufficient to lower the roof when required.

Time came to pack up and leave site. I put the ignition key in position 2, had the drivers door open and selected the roof on the consumer panel and pressed the down arrow.

The roof as expected continued to lower. All was good however continuing to the point where it stops I took the opportunity for once to walk around the van and check no bellows were snagged. Back in the drivers seat I pressed the down arrow again the car beeped at me which I thought a warning but couldn’t ascertain the cause of the warning. heard a loud clunk from the roof area and expected an issue. I stopped and inspected the roof and mechanics. No obvious issue but the despite the roof being down now the display would not recognise it as closed.

I put the roof back up again, took the key out and started again. This time the roof descended as before all the way to the stop point but the warning beep was sounding. The roof continued all the way down and this time it successfully closed whereupon the beeping stopped.

I can’t recall the beeping before as the roof descends. Is that normal?

The van was still plugged into the site power and I know with the engine on it beeps a warning but I don’t think it was that, the car was not running I just had the key in position 2.

any thoughts?

J

j200george

VIP Member
I’m home now and will try the roof again to compare. I’ve probably just had a senior moment :)

Steve B

I've not had the beep before when closing? I do have to remind myself of the sequencing though

J

j200george

VIP Member
I just realised what the issue might be. I lowered the roof without the bed attached. Just watched a YouTube vid that suggests the mechanism needs the weight of the bed attached to properly lower.

I think this makes sense as without the added weight the roof mech would not have enough loading on it to actively pull the mechanical levers, hence the noise I heard.

I’ll try again later but I’m sure that’s it now I think about the “incident”.

Last edited:
J

j200george

VIP Member
Just to add some further detail that may guide someone in the future. I was away at Glenmore near Aviemore earlier this week.

I had beeping occur again but this time with the bed base attached to the roof.

the root of the issue was the mattress which is held in place by little pop stop buttons. These were all not attached in my case. Clearly the bed had got a little skewed and was impinging the roof mechanism in some way.

All sorted now, but worth a check next time you’ve got the roof up.

Roof was closed but indicated open resulting in constant alarm tone + a plastic roof retaining clip split for some reason, I think the roof just got out of kilter/sync but they have sorted it now cheers

J

j200george

VIP Member
Roof was closed but indicated open resulting in constant alarm tone + a plastic roof retaining clip split for some reason, I think the roof just got out of kilter/sync but they have sorted it now cheers
Any chance you can post a pic or part number of the offending split retaining clip? Suppose if merc sorted it out they’d have just thrown out the old part. Be worthwhile for others to check theirs or at least keep an eye on it.

Any chance you can post a pic or part number of the offending split retaining clip? Suppose if merc sorted it out they’d have just thrown out the old part. Be worthwhile for others to check theirs or at least keep an eye on it.
It is a very sturdy component broken by misalignment of the roof in my opinion
Pics attached same item fits either LHS or RHS

Attachments

• BC246EBB-2556-47DA-B5C5-8EB03317CA71.png
    BC246EBB-2556-47DA-B5C5-8EB03317CA71.png
    4 MB · Views: 14
  • 940CC96D-85DD-4CE3-94F9-870840140E83.jpeg
    940CC96D-85DD-4CE3-94F9-870840140E83.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
J

j200george

VIP Member
Excellent!! Next time I’ve got the roof up I’ll give mine the once over.