Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

car theives / police and neighbourhood watch advice

I thought I'd share some info I received from our neighbourhood watch / the police about that scam where thieves are using some sort of electronic repeater device to fool the car / your keys into unlocking the car.

Apart from advising to buy a steering lock (reminds me of going back to the 80's) it also suggested storing keys in faraday cage (apparently can be a metal box) which can totally prevent this type of theft.

Nabbed Mrs the.dunnsters biscuit tin and threw in the family car keys and went up to the cars to see if the doors would open with the keys inside the tin. Range Rover wouldn't open but the Merc did no worries. Added a layer of foil around the keys and plopped back in the tin and hey presto doors wouldn't open.

So going to try and find a thicker tin to try out or invest in a pouch on amazon claiming to do the same thing.

Either that or store em in the fridge!!!

Anyway, do take care of your pride and joy as we are looking forward to seeing you all on a get together next year.

Andy

Wilnx005

Administrator
Staff member
Its a very good post! - Take a look at the ghost immobilizer - great bit of kit I have one- and no way around it!

mptripsaway

I thought I'd share some info I received from our neighbourhood watch / the police about that scam where thieves are using some sort of electronic repeater device to fool the car / your keys into unlocking the car.

Apart from advising to buy a steering lock (reminds me of going back to the 80's) it also suggested storing keys in faraday cage (apparently can be a metal box) which can totally prevent this type of theft.

Nabbed Mrs the.dunnsters biscuit tin and threw in the family car keys and went up to the cars to see if the doors would open with the keys inside the tin. Range Rover wouldn't open but the Merc did no worries. Added a layer of foil around the keys and plopped back in the tin and hey presto doors wouldn't open.

So going to try and find a thicker tin to try out or invest in a pouch on amazon claiming to do the same thing.

Either that or store em in the fridge!!!

Anyway, do take care of your pride and joy as we are looking forward to seeing you all on a get together next year.

Andy

Excuse me if I'm being a bit dim! How were you unlocking the MP without using the key remote? Were you using the Mercedes me app or some other device?

WILLH

This only applies to cars with keyless locking/unlocking so not applicable to the Marco Polo as it does not have this,even as an option.

mptripsaway

This only applies to cars with keyless locking/unlocking so not applicable to the Marco Polo as it does not have this,even as an option.
Think that is why I was confused. The MP can be locked/unlocked using your mobile if you have "mercedes me" and the app but that is totally independent of the key.

Hi. apologies for confusion. Was unlocking my c class which has the keyless entry. Our mp is a fairly low spec one and, is currently at Mercedes, who are having their 3rd attempt at repairing some damage from a post that jumped out at it whilst parking! Anyway, wasn't sure if others had the keyless feature like my c class and the wife's Range Rover have so thought worth mentioning. Again apologies for confusion all.