Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blind spot assist

Marc o Polo

Hi, Mike & Carole, In the absence of any replies

I just googled

What is: Blind Spot Assist Demonstration | Mercedes-Benz Canada​

I know it is an old video but that is the limit of my knowledge regarding this and when I'm out driving this is exactly what appears to take place.

Hi, Mike & Carole, In the absence of any replies

I just googled

What is: Blind Spot Assist Demonstration | Mercedes-Benz Canada​

I know it is an old video but that is the limit of my knowledge regarding this and when I'm out driving this is exactly what appears to take place.
Thanks but it’s not happening and I’d like to turn it on

TMC

As I read the MB website, Blind Spot Assist is listed as part of the Driver Assistance Package, a £1770 optional extra available on any of the model lines. AMG line obviously being just a starting point!

As I read the MB website, Blind Spot Assist is listed as part of the Driver Assistance Package, a £1770 optional extra available on any of the model lines. AMG line obviously being just a starting point!
Thanks. I’ll stop looking and start saving

Epigram

Driver assistance is a separate option to AMG. If I had to choose between the two, I would go for Driver Assistance and not bother with AMG which is a slightly harsher ride and not much else.
If you come from VWs, MB lane control and adaptive cruise control in the driver assistance package is nowhere near as good as the VW equivalents but they are still worth having.

Method7

I’m not really sure they are comparable since the AMG option is really just a cosmetic one.. I noticed those driver assist things in car mirrors years ago while cycling in london.. every car should be fitted with this by law (except mine - as I want the AMG frock) … also collision prevention - my life shot before my eyes as I cycled round a roundabout un-noticed by fast joining BMW driver. Just waiting for the impact and it never came, the BMW was paying attention! looked back and said BMW was stationary 1/2 way across the roundabout with hazards on.

SteveR

I’m not really sure they are comparable since the AMG option is really just a cosmetic one.. I noticed those driver assist things in car mirrors years ago while cycling in london.. every car should be fitted with this by law (except mine - as I want the AMG frock) … also collision prevention - my life shot before my eyes as I cycled round a roundabout un-noticed by fast joining BMW driver. Just waiting for the impact and it never came, the BMW was paying attention! looked back and said BMW was stationary 1/2 way across the roundabout with hazards on.
Collision prevention gadgetry etc are great... Until they're not!
I had a 'C' class a few years back that suddenly applied emergency braking for no reason. Thankfully the Mini driver behind me was on the ball and also emergency stopped to miss me! Aside from some verbal abuse from him - which I kind of understood - no damage done. This happened on at least 5 occasions and MB could not fix it until eventually they found the issue: A tiny sliver of paper had blown onto the sensor somehow. Apparently so small you could barely see it and it kept setting off phantom alerts

Marc o Polo

It is possible to have the AMG (cosmetic frock) and all other options such as Driver Assistance package - my "stock" car came with both.
The Blind Spot assistance - included in the Driver Assistance package - draws driver's attention when it automatically lights the triangle in the wing mirrors. When you glance at it you know not to move out - it cleverly alerts the driver that something is close by, approaching from the rear/side and you can decide to take action to give whatever "it" is more room if appropriate. Just something you get used to and actually is really helpful.

Method7

It is possible to have the AMG (cosmetic frock) and all other options such as Driver Assistance package - my "stock" car came with both.
The Blind Spot assistance - included in the Driver Assistance package - draws driver's attention when it automatically lights the triangle in the wing mirrors. When you glance at it you know not to move out - it cleverly alerts the driver that something is close by, approaching from the rear/side and you can decide to take action to give whatever "it" is more room if appropriate. Just something you get used to and actually is really helpful.
Yes the AMG can also have options agreed.
The issue I have with this, is that you should check your mirrors every few seconds and before doing anything.. relying on a red triangle to alert you the presence of another road user is really bad.. you should be aware of all vehicles within your view and be tracking their location in relation to your own trajectory.. In essence you should be thinking where has that black Audi gone? Ohh look he’s hiding there. I’m sure all these technologies save lives but as a road user and when driving properly there should be no need for this kind of tech.
To be fair this is just the tip of the iceberg and thanks to everyone splashing out on this stuff the driverless car is approaching fast, sad for us who like to drive but in all fairness cities and busy motorways will be much safer and run a lot smoother when it eventually happens. I don’t think the tech is bad, Quite the opposite but I do think it’s a concern that so many “drivers” rave about all this tech that essentially relieves them of the responsibility of driving.

Grand Tourismo

I agree with you Method7 nothing quite replaces the drivers decision making and processing (for better or worse) - we have different but similar technology in modern passenger aeroplane, I don't want to see the pilot replaced but I also don't want to see the tech they have access to replaced either....the more the merrier.

What I can't understand is why truck drivers have such a blind spot to cyclists just behind the cab door but have not yet got the tech to inform them....I was thinking that for example when a truck driver indicates to turn left a comedy hand pops out and slaps anyone trying to pass on the inside.

Coolsailingdude

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, I’ve yet to find a use for any of the fancy add-on driver assistance packages on any vehicle. I do love the auto-dip headlights and I like the fact that they are self levelling and move with you into the bends but…. Lane departure, adaptive cruise control, blind spot…nope, not interested. It‘s not unusual for me to drive 5 to 800 miles in a day with the MP through winding highland tracks to vast motorway interchanges and it’s a real pleasure but I just don’t like the gizmos. Heated seats and mirrors is as far as I’ll go :). As far as self driving cars go…we already have them they are efficient, electric, fast…they’re called trains! Seriously not any stage will we get close to self driving cars, we may have some simple little glass bubble cars round town but I can’t see how the machine learning (it’s not AI) will ever get close to being able to make the kind of complex decisions an experienced driver can. A scenario the other day; a huge pot hole, line of traffic turning right blocked by temporary lights. By backing off and allowing those to cross in front of me it freed up enough space to allow others to move and the huge tail swipe of the lorry ahead to avoid the cyclist in the pouring rain and the dark. I then could avoid the pot hole. Machine learning will never have the band width to do that. Assistance packages that dull our instincts and senses are the thin end of the wedge - see told you I was grumpy :)

Epigram

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, I’ve yet to find a use for any of the fancy add-on driver assistance packages on any vehicle. I do love the auto-dip headlights and I like the fact that they are self levelling and move with you into the bends but…. Lane departure, adaptive cruise control, blind spot…nope, not interested. It‘s not unusual for me to drive 5 to 800 miles in a day with the MP through winding highland tracks to vast motorway interchanges and it’s a real pleasure but I just don’t like the gizmos. Heated seats and mirrors is as far as I’ll go :). As far as self driving cars go…we already have them they are efficient, electric, fast…they’re called trains! Seriously not any stage will we get close to self driving cars, we may have some simple little glass bubble cars round town but I can’t see how the machine learning (it’s not AI) will ever get close to being able to make the kind of complex decisions an experienced driver can. A scenario the other day; a huge pot hole, line of traffic turning right blocked by temporary lights. By backing off and allowing those to cross in front of me it freed up enough space to allow others to move and the huge tail swipe of the lorry ahead to avoid the cyclist in the pouring rain and the dark. I then could avoid the pot hole. Machine learning will never have the band width to do that. Assistance packages that dull our instincts and senses are the thin end of the wedge - see told you I was grumpy :)
I am hard to beat in the grumpy old man stakes!
Having said that that Distronic is worth having (post 10) don’t get me wrong, it has been useful a few times in long slow moving roadworks traffic queues (when I am tired or bored) but I have been told to turn it off by passengers because it’s too jerky and doesn’t anticipate like normal driving.
I would prefer bigger, double van-type mirrors to to the minuscule red triangle of blind blind spot assist.

“Features” are generally disabled on my cars after the novelty wears off, for example:
Augmented reality on MBUX. I prefer to look out of the windscreen rather than a small picture of what is outside next to the satnav map.
Same thing with traffic sign assist which gets confused at roadworks and advance notices of speed limits.
“Hey Mercedes”, is disabled and allowed to speak on my terms when I (rarely) the voice command button is pressed.

Having thought for many years that heated seats were for softies I was converted getting back in a vehicle after cold outings rowing cycling or skiing.

I am generally of the opinion that a simple knob beats a switch and electric motor or a touch screen and distracting menu while driving. An exception is the knob for the front seat backrest which regularly skins knuckles on the door pillar when adjusted or after moving the seats back when they have been rotated. If that were an electric option it would worth a few bob to me at least.

Epigram

Collision prevention gadgetry etc are great... Until they're not!
I had a 'C' class a few years back that suddenly applied emergency braking for no reason. Thankfully the Mini driver behind me was on the ball and also emergency stopped to miss me! Aside from some verbal abuse from him - which I kind of understood - no damage done. This happened on at least 5 occasions and MB could not fix it until eventually they found the issue: A tiny sliver of paper had blown onto the sensor somehow. Apparently so small you could barely see it and it kept setting off phantom alerts
I frequenty drive mountain roads in blizzards and on roads covered with slush or snow.
Most of the”driver aids” have given up the ghost due to the build up of snow and ice on the sensors and the warning lights on the dash are likedash a Christmas tree by the time I arrive at my destination.
In short they can’t be relied o being available when you most need them.

Coolsailingdude

I am hard to beat in the grumpy old man stakes!
Having said that that Distronic is worth having (post 10) don’t get me wrong, it has been useful a few times in long slow moving roadworks traffic queues (when I am tired or bored) but I have been told to turn it off by passengers because it’s too jerky and doesn’t anticipate like normal driving.
I would prefer bigger, double van-type mirrors to to the minuscule red triangle of blind blind spot assist.

“Features” are generally disabled on my cars after the novelty wears off, for example:
Augmented reality on MBUX. I prefer to look out of the windscreen rather than a small picture of what is outside next to the satnav map.
Same thing with traffic sign assist which gets confused at roadworks and advance notices of speed limits.
“Hey Mercedes”, is disabled and allowed to speak on my terms when I (rarely) the voice command button is pressed.

Having thought for many years that heated seats were for softies I was converted getting back in a vehicle after cold outings rowing cycling or skiing.

I am generally of the opinion that a simple knob beats a switch and electric motor or a touch screen and distracting menu while driving. An exception is the knob for the front seat backrest which regularly skins knuckles on the door pillar when adjusted or after moving the seats back when they have been rotated. If that were an electric option it would worth a few bob to me at least.
Couldn’t agree more on the seat back adjustment, sooo annoying. I sometimes end up getting out moving the seat forward then adjusting it....it is such a pain :)