Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning rattle - your comments please !

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Since purchasing my MP secondhand, the side awning has rattled when travelling on most roads, at all speeds. The only roads where it doesn’t tend to rattle is on motorways. I have checked that it is correctly wound back in, and put two silicon bands around each end (as suggested in another thread), but all with no success in curing the rattle. The MP has been back to the dealership and they have dismantled it and reassembled it. Still with no success in stopping the rattle. The rattle is loud enough to make regret having the awning.

My question is, do other people have a similar rattle from their side awnings on their MP’s ? I would appreciate all answers as I am trying to establish if this is normal for a Thule wind out awning, or if mine is faulty. I have been told that Fiamma awnings do not rattle (as often fitted to van conversions), and so I suspect that mine might have a fault, but I need to establish this before talking further with the dealership !!

Any comments gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveR

Mine does not rattle.
Without wishing to ask the obvious but I take it that the awning 'legs' are secured correctly in the frame cover?

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Mine only rattles over rough roads - it’s fine in normal road conditions.

Paul Merritt

This is a bit of a sore point with us, we have owned two MP's 2017 and 2019 both have the same rattle on the awning at the drivers end.On the 2017, Mercedes tried to fix it without any success and ended up replacing it under warranty, we did not keep that MP long after that as it was rejected back to Mercedes.The 2019 MP was a replacement for the rejected 2017, one of the first things that we checked on hand over was the awning which seemed fine at that point, we have just got back from a 3.5k mile trip around France and Spain and the awning rattled all the way,We have booked it in to be looked at on the 25th under warranty but do not hold out much hope.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
My thanks to all for responding to my post (any further comments from members will also be appreciated !).

As for the “obvious question” - no problem, I’m glad you asked ! I consider myself still on the steep learning curve about the Marco Polo. As I purchased mine secondhand from a private seller I have not had the benefit of a dealer handover, and so have never been shown exactly how to close the awning properly. If people have any recommendations or instructions on how to minimise the possibility of rattles, then I would appreciate them.

From what I am seeing so far, the awning should be rattle free as long as it has been stowed correctly.

I look forward to any other posts !

Thanks again.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Paul - your rattle on the 2017 Marco Polo is exactly where my rattle is coming from. Did the dealer give any advice on what was causing it, or just that it was faulty and hence the replacement ? Did the replacement cure the issue ? Please let me know, and I wish you every success on your up coming visit to your dealership.

Thanks in advance.

SteveR

.... I have not had the benefit of a dealer handover, and so have never been shown exactly how to close the awning properly. If people have any recommendations or instructions on how to minimise the possibility of rattles, then I would appreciate them....
I wouldn't be concerned about lack of a dealer handover Andy. My handover was minimal to say the least and certainly did not cover the awning. I've been motorhoming / caravaning for many years though so I wasn't unduly concerned.
Suggestion is to download the pdf manual to your phone / tablet (so you always have it to hand) and particularly the V-Class manual for the main driving controls and the Marco Polo supplement for the habitation stuff. The awning is covered but not hugely descriptive (see snip attached).
If you have secured the legs and tightened the wingnuts and it is rolled away, there is not a great deal else you can do so if it still rattles, sounds faulty in my opinion.

Good luck
Steve

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 18.59.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 18.59.43.png
    682.8 KB · Views: 26
Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Thanks Steve. I’ll check to see how the dealership has secured the legs, and discuss further with them if they have been secured properly !

Epigram

As said on another thread, Even when the legs were correctly stowed and wing nuts tightened, the only way I could stop the rattle was to wrap the legs in thin foam as they were stowed and to put the rubber bands on the outer case. So far the awning has remained silent even on potholes and rough dirt roads.
There is quite a lot on the VW California site concerning awning rattles. I seem to remember reading something about ensuring the awning was wound in squarely/ evenly.
I can’t say this made much difference on mine although the sound when the outer cover was banged moved dependent on how symmetrically the awning was wound in. Hence the two rubber bands which seem to keep it quiet.
I haven’t raised the awning rattle with the dealer.
My other problem, the creaking passenger seat, is still there despite two unsuccessful two visits to Mercedes and replacement parts.
I am away for several weeks, and returning to the dealer is some time off. In the meantime I have to put up with the passenger seat creaking over every speed bump and around bends. A temporary fix is to get my wife to sit in the back..........!

Paul Merritt

Hi Andy They tried to adjust the roller back to make it close tighter at the drivers door end on the 2017 MP as that seemed to be the problem, I think you can get the instructions on Thule web site I did try and find an agent in the UK for the awning as the dealerships really do not have a clue but there does not seem to be any Mercedes easy answer wast to replace it ,I think you remove the plastic end cover and use an allan key to adjust the roller back.If I have no luck with Mercedes on the 25th I will sort it out myself and let you know.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Thanks Epigram and Paul for your responses.

Epigram - I appreciate the extra information re the foam, etc. If I fail with the dealership I will try this. However, I am keen not to add too much additional packing to the awning, or else I can see it becoming a pain to stow and will stop us using it.

Paul - please keep us informed on the progress you make with the dealership.

My thanks again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk