Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux Night Heater

• Thread starter Samebutdifferent
  • Start date

Steve B

My air night heater is under the passenger seat area, but I've never seen it, just hear it and get the warmth. @Spike if you have a grey remote fob for the heater its a diesel heater.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Without adding to the confusion regarding the various heaters the one that smells of diesel is the one that this thread is about. It's a diesel powered heat exchanger, it requires electric power for the glow plug ignition and running the fan.

The electric Auxiliary heater is separate thing that I know little about!!!

Thanks @Steve B

Spike

My air night heater is under the passenger seat area, but I've never seen it, just hear it and get the warmth. @Spike if you have a grey remote fob for the heater its a diesel heater
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, yes I have a grey remote with an "on/off" and and "ok button", so that and the smell of diesel, must be diesel driven!

(I was extra confused as the sales guy said to me (in German and my German is very poor) that it was Electric, but sounds like he wanted to tell me it still requires battery power “for the glow-plug ignition and the fan”).

Subsequent question, any idea how long the heater can run before the battery runs out? Can the heater be left on overnight then ?

Cheers,

Spike

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, yes I have a grey remote with an "on/off" and and "ok button", so that and the smell of diesel, must be diesel driven!

(I was extra confused as the sales guy said to me (in German and my German is very poor) that it was Electric, but sounds like he wanted to tell me it still requires battery power “for the glow-plug ignition and the fan”).

Subsequent question, any idea how long the heater can run before the battery runs out? Can the heater be left on overnight then ?

Cheers,

Spike

How long is a piece of string? Lots of variables but the the heaters draw about 7 Amp on start up and the same when shutting down, continuous running the draw is about 1 Amp. The battery is 80Ah so maybe reckon on up to 40hrs to 50% discharge. Edit; That assumes your not using any lighting, laptops, charging phones or got your fridge on!

The heaters have a low voltage cut out to protect the battery from over discharge. If the battery doesn't have enough charge it won't start.

The heater can be left on overnight and can also be run while driving, handy as the alternator will take the heavy load of start up.

Post 13 of this thread may explain the other Electric Auxiliary Heater you mention.

Last edited:
Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Hi SBD,

I bought an MP with a very similar spec and mileage last month. It seems about the right price but I’m no expert, I watched the market for a while and that sort of price seems pretty much on market given the high demand.
Like you mine didn’t have a heater and I’m taking it to Tim Purslow on Tuesday to get a Webasto fitted. Same price you quoted which is encouraging. He seems like a respectable chap who knows what he’s talking about and the price is fair. He is also providing a courtesy car and fitting a solar panel for me.

our other car is a Merc and we’ve had some shocking experiences with MB servicing departments over the years so he’ll have a customer for life if he does this well.

I haven’t been able to overnight in the MP yet for obvious reasons but it’s a cracking drive for a big car. As refined and comfortable as a van can get!

good luck with your search.

best

Gary.

Any feedback on the heater install Gary?

CapnB

Any feedback on the heater install Gary?
Yes they were great. Got it fitted last Tuesday , left it with them for two days and was provided with a new Eclass to get around in. They also fitted a solar panel for me which I took to them. Very neat job of the installation of both items and a very through handover showing me how to use it.
They are a real pleasure to deal with. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Unfortunately we have to wait until 12th April when non essential traders can open. The car is no where near local so lockdown rules out travel anyway.

Not a long wait now:)

felamy10

Thanks GT I feel a bit better informed and confident now and hope this may be of use to others.
I have a good relationship with the dealer that has the MP and trust him, a very rare thing these days.
Due to covid restrictions his showroom is closed so there is no way anything will happen until they are allowed to trade again.

I haven't stopped looking but MP's are few and far between, a problem when trying to gauge what cars are worth. He wants
£53 950, it's a 2019 V250D AMG Line 2.1l 190BHP with 2700ml, it's just 2 years old. How does that sound? He has offered me a good price for my Fiat and I expect to haggle a little, so he may very well cover the cost of a heater install. Don't think it has many extras, what ever they are as it seems well spec'd anyway, the heater is the only thing I would definitely want. Black leather for the dog, and silver so it doesn't resemble a private ambulance:) Unfortunately there seem to be lots of black with cream leather!!
I just bought a 2019 model (sport) with 8k on the clock for £50k from a local dealer and paid £52k all in for a diesel heater to be fitted and a £700 Merc bike rack fitted. If this helps.

Shah62

Yes they were great. Got it fitted last Tuesday , left it with them for two days and was provided with a new Eclass to get around in. They also fitted a solar panel for me which I took to them. Very neat job of the installation of both items and a very through handover showing me how to use it.
They are a real pleasure to deal with. I can’t recommend them highly enough.
Hi. How are you getting on with the Webasto heater? I am having mine fitted this week by Tim Purslow Ltd. I would be grateful for any feedback. Are there any questions that I might need to ask them when I pick up my MP?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Hi. How are you getting on with the Webasto heater? I am having mine fitted this week by Tim Purslow Ltd. I would be grateful for any feedback. Are there any questions that I might need to ask them when I pick up my MP?

How did it go @Shah62 ?

As of yesterday I'm in possession of an Aux heaterless MP:) I will be going to Tim Purslow sometime so find myself asking the question you posted above. Cheers.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
It all went well but please let me know how you get on. Leon at Tim Purslow was very helpful

Yes, Leon was who I spoke with on the phone, knowledgeable and very helpful.

A

alistair-irvine

VIP Member
Thanks GT I feel a bit better informed and confident now and hope this may be of use to others.
I have a good relationship with the dealer that has the MP and trust him, a very rare thing these days.
Due to covid restrictions his showroom is closed so there is no way anything will happen until they are allowed to trade again.

I haven't stopped looking but MP's are few and far between, a problem when trying to gauge what cars are worth. He wants
£53 950, it's a 2019 V250D AMG Line 2.1l 190BHP with 2700ml, it's just 2 years old. How does that sound? He has offered me a good price for my Fiat and I expect to haggle a little, so he may very well cover the cost of a heater install. Don't think it has many extras, what ever they are as it seems well spec'd anyway, the heater is the only thing I would definitely want. Black leather for the dog, and silver so it doesn't resemble a private ambulance:) Unfortunately there seem to be lots of black with cream leather!!
Great add I will be going to that dealer to have one retro fitted if I can't find a Mp with one already, seem very rare. I will be I the market for o e in about 2 months time, however I am only after one with CREAM leather ,lol