Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm beep on trying to raise roof

PeeGee

Good evening. I hope someone can throw some light on this. I tried to raise the roof while I was not plugged in to the mains. It has worked previously without problem. This time it raised a few inches then sounded an alarm and stopped. After a short pause I tried again and it raised a bit further before the same thing happened. This continued to happen. A few inches at a time and then an alarm and it stops. The battery was registering about 11.6. Is that roughly what it should be after the car has sat for a couple of days?
Later I plugged it into the mains and the roof raised and lowered without problem.
Is this problem perhaps an indication that the battery didn’t have another power and may need replacing?
Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
The battery will register a low voltage under load and for some time after the load is removed. The voltage reading under load depends on the load and the state of charge of the battery. If your battery didn't have a good charge the voltage could have dropped to a point where to protect it the roof fails to open.

To accurately assess the state of charge the voltage needs to stabilise after discharging or charging, 12hrs rest is specified by some manufactures, but the first 15mins -2hrs should see the bulk of recovery.

Taking the above into account, the fully charged battery should register 12.7v - 13v and if sat for a few days with no load there shouldn't be any change. If you operate the roof the voltage will drop under the load but should recover as above.

Discharging a the battery below 11.7v resting will damage it.

To answer your question regarding replacement, yes it could but you really need to charge the battery fully, make a note of the voltage after it's stabilised, and check what happens over the next few days. Open the roof, put the fridge on for a while and see how the battery performs regarding recovery. Hope that wasn't to confusing and good luck.

PeeGee

The battery will register a low voltage under load and for some time after the load is removed. The voltage reading under load depends on the load and the state of charge of the battery. If your battery didn't have a good charge the voltage could have dropped to a point where to protect it the roof fails to open.

To accurately assess the state of charge the voltage needs to stabilise after discharging or charging, 12hrs rest is specified by some manufactures, but the first 15mins -2hrs should see the bulk of recovery.

Taking the above into account, the fully charged battery should register 12.7v - 13v and if sat for a few days with no load there shouldn't be any change. If you operate the roof the voltage will drop under the load but should recover as above.

Discharging a the battery below 11.7v resting will damage it.

To answer your question regarding replacement, yes it could but you really need to charge the battery fully, make a note of the voltage after it's stabilised, and check what happens over the next few days. Open the roof, put the fridge on for a while and see how the battery performs regarding recovery. Hope that wasn't to confusing and good luck.
Thank you for that comprehensive and very helpful reply!