Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice wanted on key features on MP

GeorgeG

Signed up for a pre-reg MP in Cavansite Blue wth Silk Beige. It was the first V220 I’ve driven and I thought the performance was better than I had expected. Not enough difference to the V25o to justify another £2,000 to be honest. At least it was a rarity with the aux air heater. The beige verges on bling, but I prefer the lightness of the interior and contrast with the dark blue exterior.

I’ll put some pics up when I get it home.

Ridgeway

I did a lot of research on service intervals as I kept getting conflicting advice from different Mercedes dealers over what they were.
I found out by ringing M/Benz direct that they can either be set up on a standard 12 month / 11,000 miles service schedule - based on which comes first or; on long life servicing whereby the oil quality is monitored and services levels could be up to 24 months / 24,000 miles. I had mine set up on the latter option.
I don’t have any facts on what the first service price will be but can’t see it being more than £300 given that it’s just an oil change and new filter.

GeorgeG

I did a lot of research on service intervals as I kept getting conflicting advice from different Mercedes dealers over what they were.
I found out by ringing M/Benz direct that they can either be set up on a standard 12 month / 11,000 miles service schedule - based on which comes first or; on long life servicing whereby the oil quality is monitored and services levels could be up to 24 months / 24,000 miles. I had mine set up on the latter option.
I don’t have any facts on what the first service price will be but can’t see it being more than £300 given that it’s just an oil change and new filter.

I’ve just taken delivery of a pre-reg Marco Polo V220d with 127 miles on the clock. I have also had conflicting advice on service intervals and was told it definitely had to be serviced annually. Do you think I could take it to my local MB dealer and get it reset for long life service - I bought it from a dealer 65 miles away. Also, as it’s not technically new (registered 6 weeks ago), do you think this would be a problem? Is the service type indicated anywhere on the display - still haven’t found my way round it all yet?

Ridgeway

Hi,

I don’t have my handbook to hand but, from memory if you go into the car’s menu and select (I think) it’s ‘service’ from the menu and scroll round it will show you how many miles to the next service. Mine shows 24,000 miles illustrating its set up on long life servicing.
If you can’t suss it out then ring Mercedes direct and ask for technical and give them your reg number - hopefully they can tell you.
Another way is to go into the ‘Mercedes Me’ app and under the odometer reading click on the right hand side of the circles and select the ‘see all’ circle next to the tyre pressure. The first dual that comes up says ‘next service’ and the mileage before it’s due.
Believe me I am a technophobe and even I managed to suss it out!!
Good luck

GeorgeG

Hi,

I don’t have my handbook to hand but, from memory if you go into the car’s menu and select (I think) it’s ‘service’ from the menu and scroll round it will show you how many miles to the next service. Mine shows 24,000 miles illustrating its set up on long life servicing.
If you can’t suss it out then ring Mercedes direct and ask for technical and give them your reg number - hopefully they can tell you.
Another way is to go into the ‘Mercedes Me’ app and under the odometer reading click on the right hand side of the circles and select the ‘see all’ circle next to the tyre pressure. The first dual that comes up says ‘next service’ and the mileage before it’s due.
Believe me I am a technophobe and even I managed to suss it out!!
Good luck

Many thanks for your prompt and useful advice. These forums are an invaluable resource.

GeorgeG

Hi Ridgeway

I selected service from the menu and then something called assyst. This indicated 717 days to service A. The van was registered on 30 June, so that makes sense, as it seems to indicate that it’s programmed for long life 2 year servicing. Hopefully, I dont need to do anything for 2 years! That’s a relief as I was told they charge £130 per hour labour + VAT. Pretty shocking compared to my local Subaru main dealer who charged me (until I sold my Subie 18 months ago) a reasonable £60 per hour + VAT.

Ridgeway

Hi George,

Great, that confirms yours is set up on Longlife servicing.

I too was offered a ‘service plan’ at £40per month but as we anticipate doing 10-15k miles per annum decided it would be expensive to just get one service for the nearly £1,000 we would have paid. Therefore I’ll just budget (& keep the money in my account ) until a service is due!
Just beware that whatever a MB Dealer quotes for a service price they will probably say (after 2 years) that you need the brake fluid changing and new wiper blades and it’s the extras in my experience they try and make a lot of money from.
My car is a nearly 2 year old BMW and whilst I get the main services done at a BMW Dealer I get the brake pads and discs changed at a reputable local garage who uses genuine BMW parts and charges 40% less. Don’t feel obliged to get the extras done at the MB Dealer as you’ll not only save money and it won’t void your warranty if genuine MB parts are used.
In the interim, don’t worry about the servicing but enjoy your MP whilst the lovely weather is here, good luck!

Ridgeway

GeorgeG

H
Hi George,

Great, that confirms yours is set up on Longlife servicing.

I too was offered a ‘service plan’ at £40per month but as we anticipate doing 10-15k miles per annum decided it would be expensive to just get one service for the nearly £1,000 we would have paid. Therefore I’ll just budget (& keep the money in my account ) until a service is due!
Just beware that whatever a MB Dealer quotes for a service price they will probably say (after 2 years) that you need the brake fluid changing and new wiper blades and it’s the extras in my experience they try and make a lot of money from.
My car is a nearly 2 year old BMW and whilst I get the main services done at a BMW Dealer I get the brake pads and discs changed at a reputable local garage who uses genuine BMW parts and charges 40% less. Don’t feel obliged to get the extras done at the MB Dealer as you’ll not only save money and it won’t void your warranty if genuine MB parts are used.
In the interim, don’t worry about the servicing but enjoy your MP whilst the lovely weather is here, good luck!

Ridgeway

Hi Ridgeway

Thanks for the advice on servicing. Do you just tell the MB dealer not to fit any extras when you book it in for a service?

Looking forward to using it, but generally avoid going away in the school holidays. Fortunately, we’ve already done 5 weeks in New Zealand and 4 weeks in the Lakes and Outer Hebrides this year. Maybe we’ll drive to Spain in September. Just hope the Cavansite blue isn’t a bit dark for hot climes.

Ridgeway

Hi George,

Yes, just tell the dealer when you book it in to just carry out the service and if they deem anything else needs doing ask them to call you. If they suggest other things are required ask the price and advise accordingly. As previously mentioned I wouldn’t buy wiper blades or have brake pads fitted by them unless I thought the price fair. Main dealers claim to not make much when they sell a new vehicle but they make a massive margin on servicing.
We have the cavansite blue with black leather and it hasn’t been too hot, even in the high temperatures of this extra ordinary summer!

Martin

Hi

Q1 Here in Spain I know that people have fitted solar panels with no problems. That said, I have the standard setup (no extra leisure battery) and I go off-grid for 4 days at a time with no issues. I also carry a power pack to keep laptops/phones etc charged to reduce the load.

Q3 Over here it is very common to retrofit.

Q4 Upstairs is more comfortable but downstairs is fine too (I use it without a topper). The fact that the back part can be set at various angles might help too.

Q5 The edges of the windows are opaque (I have tinted windows) so even if the blinds don't appear to cover the entire window they are effective. I gave up fixing the front/side window curtain (too much hassle) so instead have strung a cord between the two knobs where the roof straps attach to the raised ceiling, and I hang a large dark microfibre towel across it. A couple of pieces of velcro and it provides an opaque barrier hanging just behind the front seats.

Q9 Yes, they do attract detritus, but filling them up would take a long time. I just hoovered mine for the first time after a year of ownership (including mountain trips, muddy boots, dog) and there really wasn't that much to take out. It is more aesthetic than anything. What is a slight issue with the rails is the rubber edging that has a tendency to lift (in one place, near the back in my case). It can be forced back in place though.

Q10. YES! I had to get a tow (fortunately it was at a steam fair, so plenty of volunteers). Just take care where you park -- not at the bottom of the field in any circumstances. My excuse is that I was marshalled into that position...

The only issue I've found is that the worktops get scratched easily, so they need to be covered if you mind that kind of thing.

We couldn't be happier with ours. We've done around 17k in the first year with a mean 6.8 litres/100km. I also use it as a daily commute. The automatic drives like silk as they say over here.

Interesting to read about service intervals. I'm just about to add any extra 2k on heading up to Scotland next week so I took it in for a service as I'd heard from somewhere that it was due at around 18k (that must have been from the service plan I was offered but turned down). They pressed a couple of buttons and said bring it back in 340 days....

All the best

Martin

Paul Mc

Hi

Q1 Here in Spain I know that people have fitted solar panels with no problems. That said, I have the standard setup (no extra leisure battery) and I go off-grid for 4 days at a time with no issues. I also carry a power pack to keep laptops/phones etc charged to reduce the load.

Q3 Over here it is very common to retrofit.

Q4 Upstairs is more comfortable but downstairs is fine too (I use it without a topper). The fact that the back part can be set at various angles might help too.

Q5 The edges of the windows are opaque (I have tinted windows) so even if the blinds don't appear to cover the entire window they are effective. I gave up fixing the front/side window curtain (too much hassle) so instead have strung a cord between the two knobs where the roof straps attach to the raised ceiling, and I hang a large dark microfibre towel across it. A couple of pieces of velcro and it provides an opaque barrier hanging just behind the front seats.

Q9 Yes, they do attract detritus, but filling them up would take a long time. I just hoovered mine for the first time after a year of ownership (including mountain trips, muddy boots, dog) and there really wasn't that much to take out. It is more aesthetic than anything. What is a slight issue with the rails is the rubber edging that has a tendency to lift (in one place, near the back in my case). It can be forced back in place though.

Q10. YES! I had to get a tow (fortunately it was at a steam fair, so plenty of volunteers). Just take care where you park -- not at the bottom of the field in any circumstances. My excuse is that I was marshalled into that position...

The only issue I've found is that the worktops get scratched easily, so they need to be covered if you mind that kind of thing.

We couldn't be happier with ours. We've done around 17k in the first year with a mean 6.8 litres/100km. I also use it as a daily commute. The automatic drives like silk as they say over here.

Interesting to read about service intervals. I'm just about to add any extra 2k on heading up to Scotland next week so I took it in for a service as I'd heard from somewhere that it was due at around 18k (that must have been from the service plan I was offered but turned down). They pressed a couple of buttons and said bring it back in 340 days....

All the best

Martin
Hi Martin

What sort of power pack do you use in your Marco Polo.
I’m considering purchasing a power pack to charge my drone batteries, camera batteries etc.
When you say you go off grid for up to four days without EHU, do you run the built in fridge in the MP?

Thanks

Paul Mc