Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4matic

PaulE

Does anyone know if the MP comes with a 4matic option? Seems like it does on the continent but not in the UK which seems odd.

Roy C

The MP does not come with 4matic in the UK. As to why that’s the case then I have heard that it is something to do with complication of producing a RHD vehicle with 4WD, however I’ve seen nothing official. There are fewer variations in the UK so maybe it is an item MB will address if the Marco Polo is deemed a success in the UK and the market can support more versions and options. It does seem like a very useful addition given the likelihood of going onto wet grass and muddy campsites especially since the RWD setup is notorious for lack of traction in slippery conditions without the weight of the engine over the drive wheels.

PaulE

Thanks Roy that's what I thought. I do like the interior of the MP so much more than the Cali but the 4WD is a real balancing factor in my mind. I'm also a bit concerned with the electrics/number of motors in the MP both in terms of keeping a charge and the replacement costs if I was to keep the MP long term.

pumpsmynads

I’d say there’s more weight over the rear wheels in a loaded up MP than the front. Non summer tyres would give more grip on wet grass too.

Roy C

I’d say there’s more weight over the rear wheels in a loaded up MP than the front. Non summer tyres would give more grip on wet grass too.
I agree on the winter tyres or mud+snow tyres but an diesel engine block can weigh 180kg. That’s equivalent to 2.5 average men in your boot. Given you have the driver at the front as well that’s the equivalent of 3.5 men you need at the back to get the same weight over the rear wheels. What exactly are loading up with? Do you take paving slabs to lay a patio for your wind-out awning when you pitch? :)

Roy C

Thanks Roy that's what I thought. I do like the interior of the MP so much more than the Cali but the 4WD is a real balancing factor in my mind. I'm also a bit concerned with the electrics/number of motors in the MP both in terms of keeping a charge and the replacement costs if I was to keep the MP long term.
With regard to reliability then it depends how well those extra motors are engineered. Personally it's great to recline the seats a little bit. Also the side door is super quiet and I love wandering up and opening the rear tailgate and side door from the key fob. You get all the extras and a few more and it is still cheaper than an equivalent fully loaded Cali Ocean. You can pocket the difference in price and keep it for repairs / replacements if needed.

The biggest potential cost with these expensive vehicles is depreciation but the Cali holds it's value well. The MP has only been in the UK market for just over a year so it's difficult to tell if it will hold it's value like the VW. I reckon it will because they are both manufacturers camper vans that are in high demand, not conversions. Let's see in a couple of years but for me the extra luxury of the MP is worth the possible depreciation risk for me - a heart rather than a head decision maybe. I love the MP and 2 months in I have no regrets.

Dundry

Agree re depreciation. I have seen negative comments on the VW forum that the MP will depreciate more but tbh I struggle to comprehend how a MB/Westfalia vehicle is going to depreciate more than a VW. In any case Im not worried as I have bought it for the long term and I expect many others have which will limit the number coming onto the after sales market.

pumpsmynads

I agree on the winter tyres or mud+snow tyres but an diesel engine block can weigh 180kg. That’s equivalent to 2.5 average men in your boot. Given you have the driver at the front as well that’s the equivalent of 3.5 men you need at the back to get the same weight over the rear wheels. What exactly are loading up with? Do you take paving slabs to lay a patio for your wind-out awning when you pitch? :)

Yeah, so you agree with me. It’s 350kg heavier than the std V class. All that weight’s in the back. From the front seats forward it’s identical.

Roy C

Yeah, so you agree with me. It’s 350kg heavier than the std V class. All that weight’s in the back. From the front seats forward it’s identical.
Well not really because weight positioned equidistant between the two axles exerts an equal downward force on both axles. Mass positioned closer to either axle will exert more than half its weight through that axle. Exactly what proportion depends on where it is positioned. The point about the engine block is it is a concentrated mass and is positioned directly above the front wheels. The extra 350 kg you mention is likely distributed over the wheel base (the heavy roof mechanism for example) and is not concentrated over the rear axle hence a good proportion of that extra weight still goes to the front wheels. So it really does depend exactly where that extra weight is and frankly neither of us know that since, as far as I can tell, Mercedes do not publish weight distribution figures for the Marco Polo.

Last edited:

BabaJen

Regardless of weight distribution, as others have said the most important factor in being able to move on slippery surfaces is the rubber that's on that surface. My vehicle is 4WD and shod with MnS tyres. A few weeks ago we were set a mud test, with a caravan on the back, and the fact we got off that mud I put as much down to the tyres as to the drive configuration.