Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where is the USB connection in the Roofbed?

gvh

Hello all,

I've been lurking on the forums for some months now while we were patiently awaiting delivery of our Macro Polo Horizon.

Have to say that our first impressions are very positive and anticipate we're going to have a lot of fun with the vehicle.

I've noticed a couple of references to folks having a USB port somewhere up in the roofbed area. Have to say, I can't find one on ours, so would someone be so kind as to tell me where exactly I should be looking.

We have the stand heating and have, I guess, a new style center console (with no cup holders...grrr) and with only 2 USB C ports. Not tried connecting anything to them yet as I don't have the right cables, but for the life of me I can't find any other USB sockets.

Anyway, it's already been most useful to see the information on the forums in advance of getting the van, and I'm sure I'll have many more questions to come!

Gary

TMC

I think the roof bed USB is in the centre of the black glossy trim at the very front of the bed (ie windscreen side of the gap through which you climb). If its the same as ours, you should also have old style UDB socket in the inverter column behind the passenger seat. If I was on the design team, I'd put a USB somewhere near the back of the vehicle too.

Tim

gvh

I think the roof bed USB is in the centre of the black glossy trim at the very front of the bed (ie windscreen side of the gap through which you climb). If its the same as ours, you should also have old style UDB socket in the inverter column behind the passenger seat. If I was on the design team, I'd put a USB somewhere near the back of the vehicle too.

Tim
Hi Tim, Thanks for your reply.

I was afraid that might be the answer as when I checked there ours doesn't appear to have anything other than a 2.5cm black plastic grommet. Right in the centre, above the windscreen. Maybe they've done away with it, and I'm sure there was no separate option offered to add one. I will of course look again.

As we have the Horizon with the double sliding door and no kitchen, we don't have that inverter panel, I guess the two usb ports in the center console might be our only ones. Thinking I'll probably rig up some extra charge USB points using one of the 12V sockets.

Slightly miffed though that this might no longer be a feature.

Gary

Webbah

Hi Tim, Thanks for your reply.

I was afraid that might be the answer as when I checked there ours doesn't appear to have anything other than a 2.5cm black plastic grommet. Right in the centre, above the windscreen. Maybe they've done away with it, and I'm sure there was no separate option offered to add one. I will of course look again.

As we have the Horizon with the double sliding door and no kitchen, we don't have that inverter panel, I guess the two usb ports in the center console might be our only ones. Thinking I'll probably rig up some extra charge USB points using one of the 12V sockets.

Slightly miffed though that this might no longer be a feature.

Gary
Hi Gary,

There are always solutions. I don't know your budget, but I'd highly suggest taking a look at the EcoFlow kits. They make different models with different size batteries and inverters inside. I currently have the EcoFlow Delta with a 1,800 watt and 3,300 watt surge inverter. It fits perfectly between the front 2 seats and has 4 AC plugs, 2 USB C and 4 USB 3.0 A ports. It's really a fantastic piece of kit! I installed a Nespresso coffee machine and make coffee all the time (it uses 1,200 watts) a hot water kettle (1,000 watts), and a Weber Pulse 1000 Electric BBQ Grill (1,800 watts). It also charges my Macbook Pro, Electric Bike, Electric Skateboard and powers the hot water shower.

I have solar panels to keep this and the leisure battery charged, but you can charge the EcoFlow from the standard 12V socket in the front as well. It's also easy to pull it out and bring it with you wherever you might need a portable electric generator. Runs power tools as well without issue!

Even the Marco Polo full campers don't offer inverters at all. To use the internal 230V socket you must be connected to shore power. This was the perfect solution for me as installing a permanent inverter in the van with that much power would have been as much or more expensive anyway. Having a portable unit allows me to take it out of the van to use with the Weber Pulse grill or an Air Fryer at a picnic bench or on the beach anywhere.

I should also point out that the USB-C plugs in the Marco Polo's are only 18 watts. Not enough to power Macbook Pro's efficiently. It's a shame as they have USB-C PD printed on them which is "Power Delivery" so I had hoped they would be at least 30 watts or ideally 60 watts. The EcoFlow has 60 watt ports.

Not cheap for the Delta, but if you have lesser needs one of the River models might suffice (600 watts):

Last edited:

Kiwi Ange

Hi Gary,

There are always solutions. I don't know your budget, but I'd highly suggest taking a look at the EcoFlow kits. They make different models with different size batteries and inverters inside. I currently have the EcoFlow Delta with a 1,800 watt and 3,300 watt surge inverter. It fits perfectly between the front 2 seats and has 4 AC plugs, 2 USB C and 4 USB 3.0 A ports. It's really a fantastic piece of kit! I installed a Nespresso coffee machine and make coffee all the time (it uses 1,200 watts) a hot water kettle (1,000 watts), and a Weber Pulse 1000 Electric BBQ Grill (1,800 watts). It also charges my Macbook Pro, Electric Bike, Electric Skateboard and powers the hot water shower.

I have solar panels to keep this and the leisure battery charged, but you can charge the EcoFlow from the standard 12V socket in the front as well. It's also easy to pull it out and bring it with you wherever you might need a portable electric generator. Runs power tools as well without issue!

Even the Marco Polo full campers don't offer inverters at all. To use the internal 230V socket you must be connected to shore power. This was the perfect solution for me as installing a permanent inverter in the van with that much power would have been as much or more expensive anyway. Having a portable unit allows me to take it out of the van to use with the Weber Pulse grill or an Air Fryer at a picnic bench or on the beach anywhere.

I should also point out that the USB-C plugs in the Marco Polo's are only 18 watts. Not enough to power Macbook Pro's efficiently. It's a shame as they have USB-C PD printed on them which is "Power Delivery" so I had hoped they would be at least 30 watts or ideally 60 watts. The EcoFlow has 60 watt ports.

Not cheap for the Delta, but if you have lesser needs one of the River models might suffice (600 watts):

Hi Webbah. What solar panels do you have for the EcoFlow Delta? EcoFlow's own portable ones or do you have roof solar panels, like the ones from Solarcampersolutions? Keen to know how you've got the solar panels set up so that you can keep both the leisure batter and EcoFlow charged. Many thanks! :)