Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle road tax

Arthur B

Been told road tax for motor homes is being spiked up this year, will that affect campers like Marco Polo's ?

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hi Arthur,

Interesting question and one that seems to be on a lot of people’s minds at present.

Firstly, I am no expert (!!), but I do own a MY2018 Marco Polo (first registered December 2017). My MP’s V5 states that my MP is a 5 seater (yes I have the fifth seat option) diesel car. It is not stated as an MPV, camper van or Motorhome. The reason why it is a car, is that the chassis is based on an MB V class car (hence why it is sold through MB car dealerships and not their commercial vehicle dealerships). Therefore I pay around £465 per year (for the first five years) for VED. This is based upon its list price being above the £40,000 threshold that the government uses to assess the vehicles VED rate.

As for the new VED rates for Motorhomes there seems to be a lot of confusion, with people saying they will have to wait and see how this all plays out. However, I have spotted in the January 2020 Caravan and Motorhome Club Magazine on page 70 an article on the new taxation scheme for Motorhomes. Worth a read if you can get hold of a copy. To me, it all looks very complicated, but only seems to affect vehicles where the build is after September 2019 or the Diesel engine is not an older style Euro 6b/1. As I said, all very complicated !!

I don’t know if this helps you or not.

All the best in your hunt for the correct leisure vehicle for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Arthur B

Thank you for you’re reply,
I’m going to check out a mp sport next week, it’s decision time, atm I will be buying it, unless it has “roof blisters “

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hope it all works out for you. All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve B

My insurance is up for renewal, that will be fun as a similar issue to the tax - what is a Marco Polo; is it a motorhome, is it a campervan, is it an MPV (was going to do the 'is it a bird, is it a plane.....)