Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar Bike Rack for Marco Polo Viano 2011 (639/WDF)

boredcollie

Hello, everyone,
I have a 2011 Mercedes Marco Polo Viano and am looking for a towbar bike carrier. I have read on the forum that this question is recurring, but often the posts are old and it is difficult to find the models on the market.

My MP is fitted with a removable towbar kit from Thule and I would therefore be directed towards Thule as a model for the bike carrier.

I'm wondering if the Thule Velospace XT3 will allow me to safely open the tailgate.
As an alternative, I've read good feedback on the Atera Strada DL3 but I don't know if it will fit the Thule removable towbar the is currently on my MP. Are they standard? What I have to check to be sure if it compatible? I bought the MP second hand and not have all the manuals unfortunatly. Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT 2 (Dec 20, 2021) Do not buy Atera

I received the replacement bike rack today that I bought on 27 September. After 3 months I still don't have my bike rack.

The one I received from Heuts and Atera is used and broken, in fact the adjustment knob is detached. Most importantly, the anti-theft keys are missing. I attach the pictures.

IMG_7097.JPG

EDIT 1 (Sep 27, 2021)

I am updating this post because I finally bought the Atera Genio Pro model for 495 Euros on on heuts.fr and wanted to give you my opinion and road test. The bike rack fits my Marco Polo perfectly and folds down to open the entire tailgate. I had to add extensions that were inside the box.

IMG_6758.jpg

However, I had the misfortune of receiving a broken model.
After assembling it, I tried flipping it over and the handle was "springy". I eventually realized it was cracked, as you can see from the photos.
This for me is a big disappointment, because as you can imagine returning such an item takes time. I have already contacted the customer care of Heuts.fr that unfortunately after still a week has not answered me.
I decided to post my experience so that you can take into account that this model is delicate, probably the handle breaks and above all is not a piece that can be easily replaced. The handle is in fact riveted, and can not be disassembled. You have to replace the whole bike rack. This is really a design error in my opinion.

IMG_6761.jpg
IMG_6760.jpg

IMG_6755.jpg

IMG_6754.jpg
IMG_6753 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6752.jpg
    IMG_6752.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6756.jpg
    IMG_6756.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

G ran T

Hello, everyone,
I have a 2011 Mercedes Marco Polo Viano and am looking for a towbar bike carrier. I have read on the forum that this question is recurring, but often the posts are old and it is difficult to find the models on the market.

My MP is fitted with a removable towbar kit from Thule and I would therefore be directed towards Thule as a model for the bike carrier.

I'm wondering if the Thule Velospace XT3 will allow me to safely open the tailgate.
As an alternative, I've read good feedback on the Atera Strada DL3 but I don't know if it will fit the Thule removable towbar the is currently on my MP. Are they standard? What I have to check to be sure if it compatible? I bought the MP second hand and not have all the manuals unfortunatly. Thanks for any suggestions.
I bought the velo xt2 and do not have the confidence to open the tail gate I’m convinced it will clash. Also the handlebars are too close and on the nearest bike rail - it would mean handle bar and back window will clash. I’m not impressed really given what I’d hoped for

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I had a DL3 that I used on a T5 with a tailgate, it was the only rack I could find that would definitely allow the tailgate to open without fouling.
The T5 was fitted with a Westfalia removable towbar which can't be that much different to the Thule and there was no problem regarding clearance with the window. I thought it was a very good piece of kit and think it would be fine on the MP.

boredcollie

Just noticed this Altera Genio folding carrier. It's a 2/3 bike carrier that states is suitable for Vito
Thanks.

I thik the link is wrong and you were referring to the Atera Genio Pro. I have seen that they also advertise it in this way:
"The extended folding angle is ideal for vans with large tailgates"
Anyway, I had already seen it this morning and was already convinced.
After a search online and this forum, your feedback, and a good offer I found I pulled the trigger.
I'll post an update and some pictures when it'll arrive.

Edit: I found also this video with the same towbar bike rack on a MP model like mine.

Last edited:

Blackrat

Hi,
We have the Atera Strada 3.
We are currently touring France and Spain and have two bikes on it.
The rack drops down allowing the tailgate to open even with the bikes still loaded.
The clearance is minimal but it does work.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Thanks.

I thik the link is wrong and you were referring to the Atera Genio Pro. I have seen that they also advertise it in this way:
After a search online and this forum, your feedback, and a good offer I found I pulled the trigger.

Edit: I found also this video with the same towbar bike rack on a MP model like mine.
OPPS! :oops: sorry my mistake, a copy and paste a link from another thread on here.

Glad you're sorted now:Thumbs up:

StevieG

Thanks.

We’ve got the Altera Genio Pro - awesome piece of kit; 2 bike version, folds flat with bikes on board and can open the full tailgate. Make sure you take care to fit so tailgate doesn’t hit the carrier. Also, there was a recent recall on the Genio Pro to have the spring assembly replaced - apparently one in the UK dropped flat while on the move. Firm near Lake District called Roof Box Company is UK agent; they did an excellent job on ours - all foc under warranty despite not even buying from them - throughly recommend them if you need that recall doing, Steve

boredcollie

Hi,
The rack drops down allowing the tailgate to open even with the bikes still loaded.
I've update my post because the one I receveid was broken. Did you experience any issue with the handle?

boredcollie

We’ve got the Altera Genio Pro - awesome piece of kit; 2 bike version, folds flat with bikes on board and can open the full tailgate. Make sure you take care to fit so tailgate doesn’t hit the carrier. Also, there was a recent recall on the Genio Pro to have the spring assembly replaced - apparently one in the UK dropped flat while on the move. Firm near Lake District called Roof Box Company is UK agent; they did an excellent job on ours - all foc under warranty despite not even buying from them - throughly recommend them if you need that recall doing, Steve
I got the some, and updated this post. The one I received has the handle cracked and broken. Did you experience the same? I think this handle is very weak and cannot easily replaced as it is riveted. Bad design.

boredcollie

Hi,
Updated the post because I boight the Atera Genius Pro and the model I received was broken. The handle is cracked. Have you experienced the same thing? Does yours look well designed?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Thanks, I just updated the post because I bought the Atera Genio Pro and I was very disappointed has the handle to flip ot over is cracked. I think it's not a good design as it cannot be replaced.

I don't have experience of this rack only the DL3 which gave me 5 years of use with no problems, it was a well made bike rack.

Did the rack you bought fail in use or did you receive it in a broken condition?

boredcollie

I don't have experience of this rack only the DL3 which gave me 5 years of use with no problems, it was a well made bike rack.

Did the rack you bought fail in use or did you receive it in a broken condition?
It was already broken. I think the handle was moulded and was already defective. If you look at the photos the cracking is inaccurate. I found a piece of plastic in the box and it matches perfectly the piece that is missing on the handle.
However, it remains a design problem: when the bike rack is closed and put to rest in an upright position, the weight remains on the handle. So it is possible that it broke during transport. The point is that it could easily be replaced if it wasn't riveted.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Why would you want to replace the handle when you can have a complete unit under warranty?

boredcollie

Why would you want to replace the handle when you can have a complete unit under warranty?
I have asked for a replacement but heuts.fr - apart from a courtesy email - has not yet replied with confirmation of the replacement.
In general I think it is a weak part that could break even outside the warranty and not being able to replace it requires the purchase of a whole unit.

StevieG

I got the some, and updated this post. The one I received has the handle cracked and broken. Did you experience the same? I think this handle is very weak and cannot easily replaced as it is riveted. Bad design.
Not had any problems; sounds like yours should be a full replacement under warranty - good luck with it

boredcollie

Hi,
You are lucky, because I got 2 Atera broken. I've updated my post. I'm really disappointed.

Webbah

Make sure to take a look at the MFT Back Carrier and all the options available. BackBox, Bike Rack, etc. All easily mount and can swivel down to open the rear hatch. I absolutely love mine. The Back Carrier is the base module and the other modules snap into place depending on what your need is. Fantastic setup. I love the BackBox during winter as the removable sides can be expanded to hold 4 sets of skis or 2 snowboards up to 187's.

Sorry but the main website is only in German, but if you are crafty you can use Safari to translate or Google.