Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sun shade - pull out awning

JEAK

We are considering a pull out sun shade awning. The ones that are permanently attached to the van. Do not have one fitted in the van at mo.
Any recommendations on which ones and why?
How easy are these to fit?
Do those with them recommend them? Are they easy to set up? Looking more as shade for rain rather than sun shade?
I know some people have had them and taken off? Would be interested to hear main reasons to understand if reasons why we should avoid?
If anyone is selling a used one or recommend any places in or near Yorkshire, we are very interested.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also interested in people's views here as am about to order and not sure if it's worth £800 or whether to invest the money in a drive away awning instead?

Nelson400

Hi there. We have a factory fitted Mercedes awning which we find really handy for day trips, beach trips etc for both sun shade and rain protection. Super easy to put up and down with two people, and also for one person once you have the hang of it. First time I used it during a big rain fall I did get a cascade of cold water shooting down my back that had pooled on the awning, so a very handy early lesson to ensure you choose a leg height that provides a run off angle. Very obvious when you think about it but I was caught out that time and never again. We also have a Galli driveaway awning/tent for when we are away on proper trips for a week or two but we get far more use out of the factory fitted one for day to day usage. FYI if you are interested we have a spare one for sale (we changed the silver factory fitted one to black to better match our van) - I’ll dig out a link to my original post with details and post it here in a moment.

C

Carmo

VIP Member
Hi there. We have a factory fitted Mercedes awning which we find really handy for day trips, beach trips etc for both sun shade and rain protection. Super easy to put up and down with two people, and also for one person once you have the hang of it. First time I used it during a big rain fall I did get a cascade of cold water shooting down my back that had pooled on the awning, so a very handy early lesson to ensure you choose a leg height that provides a run off angle. Very obvious when you think about it but I was caught out that time and never again. We also have a Galli driveaway awning/tent for when we are away on proper trips for a week or two but we get far more use out of the factory fitted one for day to day usage. FYI if you are interested we have a spare one for sale (we changed the silver factory fitted one to black to better match our van) - I’ll dig out a link to my original post with details and post it here in a moment.

Can you let me know if taking the factory fitted awning off the van is a straightforward process?

We have the silver version also & really think it looks awful against the back paintwork, so thinking of taking off the van for winter.

Looks like there is a bolt holding it in place, but other than that seems to slide into the awning groove.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as there may be a few other owners considering winterising their van & might want to do the same.