Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suction cups on blackout blind

1508ian

Anyone finding that the suction cups to attach the blackout blanket to the front windows keep detaching? Minor irritant only but the attachment to the material seems a bit weak. Amazon sell similar things for not much money but I would have hoped the originals would last more than a couple of outings.

Marc o Polo

Hi, Ian,

Thanks for the heads up on this. Although I have had my car a few weeks now I have never tried the blind, still in its plastic...Actually I'll put it up today as I have five minutes, - it's in the garage!.. I think somebody more experienced than me will be along soon to offer their view. They are a friendly bunch.... Welcome to the site!

Jts49

Hi Ian, yes I have the same problem. I haven’t helped by trying to open the drivers door with the blackout blanket in place and not releasing the suckers.

Epigram

Many people dispense with the Mercedes curtain after a few outings and use either an internal or external cover which shuts out more light and provides better insulation.
The Bandrup internal cover is expensive for what it is. It comes in five pieces - windscreen, doors and two triangular pieces which are not really needed. It’s sufficiently thin to be stored on the top mattress and unlike the Mercedes curtain does not need origami skills to put it away.
IMO it would be easy and much less expensive to make/copy an internal screen with aluminised insulating foil . The windscreen piece is effectively supported by the mirror and sun visors. A few short lengths of self adhesive velcro to attach the door pieces so that the doors can open normally.
External covers are cosier and more substantial but take up more room to stow away - horses for courses

BurnBabyBurn

I've used the curtain about 4 times now and it's a pain in the bum. I've bought an external black out screen that was for a vito off of ebay for £30, the insulated covers can be in excess of £200, so I wanted to try something cheaper before I committed

1508ian

That sounds like a good option - although how do they stand up to the rain. My eBay suckers work better than the originals but the curtain thing is just too much of a faff with people opening the door just after I’ve stuck them on. There’s an opening here for someone to produce a made to measure internal set for a more realistic price than the Brandrup ones.
Completely unrelated, we’re just back from two weeks in Cornwall and South Wales and must have seen hundreds of VW Californias and conversions, but only one other MP - they are still as rare as hen’s teeth. But a great vehicle for long distance cruising as well as glamping.