Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stowing the awning

Grand Tourismo

Firstly thanks for reading my post.

The little plastic clip retainers that hold the awning legs in place are a little worn in my awning cartridge.
I know I can buy a new pair of clips but I wondered if any of you inventive peeps have a solution that both retains the legs but also reduces the rattles? (Epi?)

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Take it off and buy an Isabella Shadow:D

Steve B

Not answering the question but....I thought the chairs, as mine are, were a cream colour, didn't know some were black.

Grand Tourismo

Not answering the question but....I thought the chairs, as mine are, were a cream colour, didn't know some were black.
Yes i thought the same...I would say that I think MP Morris is one of the first into the UK, maybe an older batch....I like to be different! :)

Epigram

Firstly thanks for reading my post.

The little plastic clip retainers that hold the awning legs in place are a little worn in my awning cartridge.
I know I can buy a new pair of clips but I wondered if any of you inventive peeps have a solution that both retains the legs but also reduces the rattles? (Epi?)
Just re-read the the saga of awning rattles:
In addition to the extra metal clips for the roller given to me by the Thule rep at a Motorhome andCaravan show (anyone remember those days?) I used self adhésive felt floor pads /protectors (Wilko) If you inspect the inside of the housing you can often see tell tale grey marks if the metal has been rubbing. Tightening the legs slighly over-length so that additional pressure is needed to push them in and then retightening helps.

In retrospect I would have spent the ~ 800 quid on a couple of sun hats.

Although the awning isn’t the highest part of the vehicle, it is the higher than the roof over some of its length and it has protected the (delicate blister prone) roof from having a garage door accidentally shut on it on several occasions - I have something to thank it for!

PS The black chairs look great GT. Does anyone know how to stop the backs sliding off?

Grand Tourismo

PS The black chairs look great GT. Does anyone know how to stop the backs sliding off?
Well I took this photo today...not to rub it in any further but to try and help. It seems the black chairs have a small self tapping screw to hold on the canvas back.
If I had the cream seats, the canvas falling off would drive me to distraction, I would probably drill a little hole and fit a nice sized pop-rivet through...or a little stainless self tapping screw.

IMG_7889.jpgIMG_7891.PNG

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member

I just junked them along with the awning :p backs don't bother me now;)

Table is just about useable and least it stows away nicely but all three items are flimsy and cheap.

SteveR

….Table is just about useable and least it stows away nicely but all three items are flimsy and cheap….
We use the table but removed the chairs - take up too much space and not that comfortable either. We just take a couple of Helinox ones with us. Expensive for what they are but pack small and are surprisingly comfortable

Epigram

I had in mind a similar fix but decided they were impractical for stowing and they were relegated to the do not use pile along with several other items such as the suspended canvas storage bag, drawer divider, curtain, net etc. Instead some collapsible chairs that I’m not precious about that can be thown under the van when tidying away last thing at night after a few beers. At least they will be pristine for the next owner!
I just junked them along with the awning :p backs don't bother me now;)

Table is just about useable and least it stows away nicely but all three items are flimsy and cheap.
BTW Did you get a cover to go over the awning bracket SBD?

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I had in mind a similar fix but decided they were impractical for stowing and they were relegated to the do not use pile along with several other items such as the suspended canvas storage bag, drawer divider, curtain, net etc. Instead some collapsible chairs that I’m not precious about that can be thown under the van when tidying away last thing at night after a few beers. At least they will be pristine for the next owner!

BTW Did you get a cover to go over the awning bracket SBD?
Funny your do not use pile is the same as mine:Thumbs up:

I was just thinking the other day I must chase the cover.

One of those things that stick out like a sore thumb at the time you're concentrating on it, but I hardly notice now.

Epigram

One of those things that stick out like a sore thumb at the time you're concentrating on it, but I hardly notice now.
Strange how the eye tunes out things. Many years ago I put up four rusty Acro props to support the living room ceiling during house alterations. I only realised they were there when Mrs Epigram decorated them with fairy lights one Christmas - taken as a subtle hint to get on the the job.
Keep us posted on the cover - awning removal may be a job for me next winter

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
I chased this up @Epigram and this is a phone pic I've been sent. It came with this quote: "Its shaped to cover the bracket too but could be sculptured to some sort,"

So I'll wait to see what it actually is when it arrives.

Awning Cover.jpg

Epigram

I think your picture is the Thule part that comes with the awning.
On the MP Facestalker group this morning I saw this picture of the correct cover plate and part no which will not require any fettling.
Hope this helps

1625464351835.jpeg

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Yeah seen that @Epigram what a feekin shower MB/Westfalia are as the search for this part has shown.

I tagged you in this thread with my Sugru fix, which I feel is better than that cover

Last edited: